“Very good sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Had reservations to Shimizu after seeing the show Wicked. The restaurant is fairly small but cozy. The night we ate there it wasn't busy at all. The sushi was prepared by the owner as we we sitting at the sushi bar. The sushi was above average, very fresh, and the selection was decent. This is not a place to get fancy, dressed up sushi. Rather, the quality and taste of the seafood stands on it's own merit. I found that the waitress was almost "hovering" around us at all times, waiting for to take our plates, fill our glasses, etc.. While this kind of service is appreciable, it almost became annoying and intrusive. Overall, very good sushi and fairly reasonable prices (for NYC). Would definitely eat there again.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Saitama, Japan
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Delicious sushi restaurant.
Can enjoy Shochu.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Small but cozy place.
Great sushi and great shochu selection.

Reviewed November 14, 2008

For some reason, I have had a hard time finding a truly delicious sushi restaurant in the city. I came across Shimizu while trying to find a dinner destination near Port Authority. After reading the terrific reviews, I decided to check it out, and I was pleasantly surprised! When I walked up to the nondescript hotel on the quiet Hells Kitchen street, I was a bit turned off. When do you ever expect a random small hotel restaurant to be good? But, the sushi was fresh and the service spectacular.

The restaurant offers a fantasic prix fixe menu at around $30-35. This option includes your choice of miso soup or salad, an appetizer, entree, and ice cream. I enjoyed the pretty large salad with delicious soy ginger dressing. I then tried the Grilled Chicken Yakitori appetizer. The skewered meat was marinated in a savory soy glaze, and, for the most part, was pretty tender. I ordered the combination rolls platter as my entree and enjoyed my choices of eel avocado, spicy tuna, and salmon cucumber. The fish was fresh, crisp, and melted in my mouth. The mango ice cream was also spectacular.

Shimizu is truly a hidden gem!

1  Thank intlfoodtrvl
Reviewed September 23, 2008

My husband is Japanese and ran a Japanese restaurant years ago...so he knows good quality sushi when he sees it.

We dined here while on vacation on the advice of a friend who lives in the city. We found the food to be fabulous. It is fresh, well prepared, and delicious. We mostly ate sushi but tried the Chilean sea bass entree and it was fantastic as well (like buttah!). Even the dessert (egg custard) was amazing!

Now for the best part...the price. The prices were extremely reasonable for food of this quality.

For a nice meal out, this is an excellent pick. It also has a very nice atmosphere -- suitable if you want to take a date or a business contact.

1  Thank Wasel