“Explosion of tastebuds!”
Review of Morandi

Morandi
Reserve with OpenTable
Morandi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #550 of 13,935 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Every mouthful was extraordinary in this rustic, boisterously joyful Italian restaurant. And honestly, it wasn't just me. Looking around, one sees everyone take their first bit of anything put in front of them, with delectable, happy surprise. My friend and I had such a hard time choosing our meal because the whole menu was interesting...but after a perfectly delightful Italian cocktail, we finally decided on the grilled calamari and the raw Brussel sprout salad to start. Delicious, every bite, more than the last. How do they do that?? For dinner, we had fresh whole wheat pasta with sardines and the handmade spaghetti with lemon and parmesan. I just know I will be hankering for that dish in the near future and will try and try to replicate it in my own kitchen. The poach pear and pistachio ice cream was divine; the ricotta cheese cake was good, though not great. Espresso and capuccino were sublime. Great service, fun atmosphere. Kind of big check, but when you're made so happy in the mouth, who cares really? One of my top NYC restaurant 10 meals, say my tastebuds!

There are newer reviews for Morandi

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had the clams and spaghetti, was fabulous, others had the spaghetti with lemon and raved about it. Make a reservation.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

When my sister and I were roaming the streets hungry in the Chelsea/meat packing district, we were unsure what we would find. This place is a gem! We were so lucky to happen upon it! We ordered a great bottle of wine and sat outside on the sidewalk so that we could enjoy the buzz and action of the city. Our server had a thick Italian accent as if she just got off the boat. She helped us choose a great red wine, and as we scanned the menu it was difficult to choose, it all sounded great. We decided on the bruschetta for a starter, perfect for the two of us. My sister really wanted to try it but I was a bit apprehensive as they had some pea purée concoction on it, not your traditional bruschetta-and I am not a pea fan, but I was pleasantly surprised! It was light and fresh. We had the lamb ravioli and it was FaBULOUS!!! Not covered with a bunch of cheese or red sauce, it had just the right amount so that you could really enjoy the flavor of pasta and lamb. The service was superb, the waitstaff standing on the curb attentively. We had a memorable evening and we took our time drinking our wine, we weren't rushed, and the waitress was nice enough to take our picture. If I am in this area again I will definitely return.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I came into town with a friend of mine and we ended up meeting four friends. We were recommended to come to Morandi for dinner. My friend and I showed up at 7pm and they said that the wait would be around 30 minutes but not longer than 45 minutes. we did not have a reservation so we asked them honestly if they would be able to seat us otherwise we would move on to another restaurant. After 45 minutes, the host continued to brush us off and say oh it will be just another 15-20 minutes. In total we waited for 2 1/2 hours!!! It was our fault for actually staying but by that point we were starving. They did send us over 2 free appetizers but to me that is not enough. Food was good but my meal was extremely small (mushroom ravioli) and I don't even have that big of an appetite. Would never recommend or eat here again given the hundreds of other amazing restaurants in the city.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I'm from Scotland and was paying my third visit to NYC and I had seen Morandi's in a movie with Catherine Zeta Jones and it looked awesome in the movie, so.......... I decided to give it a try. I meeting a friend who was lives in NYC. From entering, I was told my friend was already here and waiting at the bar on me. The staff were very friendly, the atmosphere was great, it had a great vibe as if everyone was having a great time. The company, the food, the service were all outstanding. For NYC prices in good restaurants it wasn't too expensive at all. I would recommend it to anyone who either lives in NYC or is visiting. I will definitely be returning on my next visit to the New York.

1  Thank Gary C