“Excellent venue in the East Village.”
Review of The Smith

The Smith
Reserve with OpenTable
The Smith is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #687 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: Between 10th and 11th Streets
Transit: N,Q,R,4,5,6 to Union Square ; R & W trains to 8th Street and 6 train to Astor Place ; L Train to 3rd Avenue
Description: The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City: The Smith East Village, The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. The Smith attracts colleagues for a drink after work, business dinners, a quick bite before a movie, late night revelers, families for Sunday brunch and more. Offering private rooms at all locations, guests can stop by for all occasions.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had dinner on Xmas Eve. with a small group of friends at The Smith and was very impressed by the overall experience.
Our reservation through OpenTable was punctually held in the restaurant's system and we were promptly attended even if we showed up half an hour earlier, due to a sudden snow storm (which, I have to say, offered the perfect setting for a magical Xmas in NYC...very lucky!). The bar was reasonably crowded and cocktails and wines were excellent; our table was ready shortly after our first round of drinks. The menu is not exceedigly extensive and easy to consult; the food was delicious and portions were very generous. We had homemade mac 'n cheese (snow and comfort food...what else?!?), an excellent brick oven chicken with gravy and mashed potato, braised pork with blue cheese polenta and a very tender and tasty ribeye steak with bernaise sauce and homemade fries.
The staff was very attentive, polite and their service was impeccable: nothing was ever a problem for them, even on such a peculiar occasion; everyone was very merry and showed true commitment in their job. Highly recommended under every point of view.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

A nice brekky! Good service & nice vibe....recommend the Eggs Benedict & yummy home fries. Got quite busy..was also packed when we passed by in the evening*

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Decided to drop in for lunch as we live in the area and hadn't tried it yet. Make a reservation for a better table because the design of the space is choppy with service areas near each area of the room. We sat in the front window and waited for a table as I prefer a separate table to a banquet and I like to drop my coat, bag etc on the chair next to me. There were also some small booths and a back area I did not see so ask . This is a young atmosphere with a large bar on the side. The menu is basically American comfort food with several brunch or breakfast entrees. I had the mac n cheese appetizer which was very rich and a large portion that two can share. We shared the calamari which was good and breaded with a tomato sauce. My husband enjoyed his burger and said it was on par with PJ Clarkes and likes their burger better. This is more upscale and you pay for it. The cappucino was burnt or just not perfecto and no one thought to serve it with a spoon. The waiter was serving our entire area so the service was not exactly great. I think he did his best but it felt as though someone was missing.The funniest part of the whole experience was that there were three people at the front desk and each one told us something different! I noticed a couple of salads but this is not a menu for the mayor.We probably should have ordered oysters or seafood for a better experience. The desserts sounded delicious but we did not indulge.In all fairness it was a holiday but we wondered what would happen before Lincoln Center if there was a rush. Perhaps we will give it another try down the road.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Smith is a mediocre restaurant that deceives the customer. I'm not saying that the staff are deceptive, or the food, but I was just so disappointed with it, that it was almost deceptive. My party walked in and were greeted by an energetic young man, telling us he would be taking care of us. As soon as he said that, bottled water (we were being charges heavily for) was brought to the table even though we didn't ask for it, as we would've gotten free tap water. Too late. I must say, though, that the service was quite attentive throughout the night. Soon after, we proceeded to order a couple appetizers, calamari and flatbread, and our main dishes. The starters came out promptly, however in relatively small portions. First, the flatbread. The flatbread was essentially low quality, sauceless pizza, bland as the deserts of Wyoming. The calamari were flat out bad. Just bad. They were soggy with some liquid, and lost their crunch. The meat was chewy, and the sauce, mundane. There were about 8 of us there, and we didn't even finish the calamari since it was so bad. My acquaintance, sitting next to me told our waiter that he was free to take away the calamari, in the process strongly implying that we disliked it, and the waiter took it away without a word. I am still puzzled at this since the hints she gave were quite obvious, and instead of offering to "take care" of the calamari, or replacing it with another appetizer or at the very least, apologizing for it, he simply took it without a second glance. After we finished the appetizers, there was an understandably long wait for the main courses, which were visually, very small. A friend of mine sitting across the table, who ordered a braised beef costing over $30, got a piece of meat consisting of about five bites. I actually got the largest portion of anybody, with the $37 NY Strip Steak, with chimmichurri sauce and French fries. The steak was perfectly cooked, medium rare, and the sauce was delicious. The steak however, which was very tough, tougher than your average Strip steak, was just made from meat that was not that tasty. The steak was fine, not great, and to give it flavor, I needed to basically drown it in the chimmichurri sauce, which was admittedly very good. However, that is no excuse, and a good steak should be able to stand alone. The fries were thin, crispy and tasty, not the best I've ever had, but quite good. Some of the other main dishes I tried was the Fried chicken and potato waffles, which was average, the Burger, which too was average, the tiny braised beef, which was tasty, but far too small, and a Caeser salad, which was small, overpriced and very boring. In addition to the main courses, we were advised by our waiter that the restaurant was known for its special Brussels sprouts, which we excitedly ordered two portions of. The Brussels sprouts, which may have been the only food we ordered which was a reasonable portion for its price. However, quantity does not mean quality, as I've had better brussels sprouts from the frozen aisle at the Supermarket. The only reason I ate them was because I was still hungry after my 40 dollar steak, and nobody else wanted to eat the poorly cooked sprouts. The desserts, three of which we ordered-the raspberry sorbet, the "s'mores in a jar" ,and the "birthday cake" since it was my colleagues birthday. The raspberry sorbet was unbelievable. I am not usually a huge fan of sorbet, but this was some really great stuff. The "s'mores in a jar" were also surprisingly good. Again, I'm not a fan of chocolate pudding, the base of the s'more dish, but it was quite good. The birthday cake, another dessert I had low expectations for, did not strike my fancy one bit. It was purely dry yellow cake with boring whipped cream. One funny detail about the birthday cake, which my friend whose birthday it was noticed, was that on the menu, it specifically noted that the cake came with a lollipop. He brought this up to the waiter, who apologized and volunteered the idea, "how about two lollipops?", my friend responded by joking, "how about a lollipop for all of us?". The waiter gave a half hearted laugh and went back to the kitchen. Now, since The Smith is an upscale, pricy restaurant, and since the waiter was so stingy with the lollipops, I was expecting them to be in-house made, or one of the big, spiral lollipops. After a few minutes, the waiter returned with about five lollipops, the only problem was these lollipops that our waiter was so stingy with was literally the kind of lollipop you get a 100 pack of at CVS for a couple bucks. These things were crap. The top was wrapped in plastic and I felt like I was a kid at the doctor's office. Now don't get me wrong, I don't care about lollipops, or how big they are, but it is a matter of principle. In fact, it is a good metaphor for the restaurant itself. The Smith is an upscale restaurant which is very confident and sure of itself. For example, when My colleagues and I asked at the beginning of the meal about certain dishes and whether he recommended them or not, he, annoyingly, replied to each of the questions with a resounding yes, that the dishes were excellent. Not only was this extremely frustrating and unhelpful, but it was a little fishy. Even at the start, I could tell The Smith was a mediocre, but charismatic restaurant. The waiter gives you a big smile, the decor is nice, but it lacked in the departments that really matter. In total, the bill was about $430 for eight of us, an unacceptable fee for a mediocre, unsatisfying dinner. The Smith has some bright spots, but it is not a restaurant I would recommend.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

An interesting decor - combination of subway station & new industrial chic. A nice restaurant/bar scene, casual Fairly large place on 2nd Ave. & 51st St. Had the orrichiette with chicken sausage , marinated red peppers & broccoli. Amazingly good. Very friendly staff.