“If you can find it..”

Ranked #530 of 14,586 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Description: Located in the 6 Columbus Hotel at Columbus Circle, Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill is a great spot for a business lunch, an after work sake flight, a quick pre-theater meal, or a decadent night out on the town. The menu pairs authentic Japanese cuisine with Blue Ribbon signature dishes and a distinctive beverage program featuring sake and shochu cocktails. If ever there was a restaurant with something for everyone, the Bromberg Brothers and partner Toshi Ueki have ensured Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill is it.
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Ever heard of the blue ribbon sushi bar in manhattan?

Really?

Well actually nor had we.. Yet after a great recommendation from Robert at the Viceroy New York, we had to check it out .. Why?

It supposedly has some if the finest fried chicken in this part of town..

So on a promise from me that I would bring Robert some fried chicken back as a thanks (that sure beats a tip right?).. Off we set.

Umm problemo people problemo..

You see it’s that hot a spot they hide the entrance.. So unless you know you ain’t walking past.. Walking past? Oh yes THREE TIMES!!!

Mrs Fitz was getting quite upset with my consistent hmmm must be around here somewhere prose..

We did though find it in the end.. And the sign is tiny..

And the place is full! Yet with my best British accent and a beaming smile we managed to get seated at the sushi bar.. Right at the heart if the action of the obviously extremely wizened and highly trained sushi and sashimi chefs..

Now.. For those if you that know.. Shishies ain’t my bag.. And the Blue Ribbon is a Mecca for fans of this.. Yet watching the chefs work wax wonderful indeed, the sheer skill of cutting , selecting and presenting the non stop dishes was amazing. I wish I could have taken more pics yet I think I would have upset them.. It had that kind of vibe to it!

We ordered . Mrs Fitz not really liking the quite pretentious diners to each side if us , feck em I say.. And said!

Sushi for Mrs Fitz.. A smoked piece if pork belly for me that was very good indeed , and rich enough big to want more! That’s a first! And some really lovely and delicate pork dumplings..

The wasabi whacking you in the schnozzle!

And if course the fried chicken.. A wing a thigh and a breast.. With a soy honey and wasabi dipping sauce that was delightful .

So how was this fabled chicken? Well it was ok. A little different to regular buttermilk marinated fried chicken..

Yet different in a good way..

I think the provenance of the chicken may be in question. .. If only they could get franklins farm chicken out here . Now THAT would be wild!

I have to admit though that it was good chicken . And Robert declared to us after padding his over as a take out that it was the best fried chicken he had ever eaten! Wow! That’s a recommendation indeed! Guess I am just a little spoilt in chicken world.. Of maybe I prefer mine at little more homely . Yeah .. I reckons that’s it..

Do try find this place though. It’s worth a visit..

You don’t know the address? Or when you have the address you still cannot find it?

Oh ok..

Try 6 Columbus place.. Just near the time warner building..

Don’t look for the sign.. You may pass by three times .. Ahem..

And on the way back take a stop at Morton Williams and pick up a pint pot of salt caramel icecream with chocolate truffles .. Makes for a great in-room dessert!

cookingwithmrfitz.com

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

My preference is for sashimi, so the quality of the fish is very important as is the cut. Here they did well, but the portion sizes were on the skimpy side. My dinner companion order the combo plate with the standard sushi pieces and small roll pieces. I wasn't impressed. Overall, a $95 meal, including: miso, 2 beers and tip was just above the reasonable zone for me. But, then again this is New York City.

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We've been to Blue Ribbon before but not to the 58th street location. It opens up to a bigger than expected restaurant. My wife and I started off with some rolls: california with blue crab and spicy lobster. Both very good. Next, we had the oxtail fried rice. Awesome. Must get. Then we finished up with the fried chicken with miso wasabe. It was just ok but not sure if it was because we were full at the time. Service was great. Prices weren't that bad considering it is NY and good food. Def worth at least a Check it out!

1  Thank Coaldawg
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Inside the Columbus 6 hotel is another gem from the Bromberg Bros. The space is a cross between rustic and Asian cool. The room can get noisy but there is ample space between tables. we found it very comfortable. the service is on point and well versed in the menu.

The food /ingredients are as fresh as it gets. The assembly adds the extra WOW factor and the layering of flavors is very good. don't expect "American sushi" with sugary glazes or pounds of spicy mayo. This is the clean, good stuff. (yes, you can taste the fish). Uni with Quail egg was sublime.

Sake list is well thought out and compliments the fish and vegetables nicely.

I recommend the Otokyama (man's mountain) Sake in a "box" accompanied by Amberjack, Japanese Stripped Bass and the seven fish rainbow roll.

Try them out for lunch on a Saturday and you will find it not extremely busy with plenty of attention and time to try some appetizers and sushi.

Beware that these unbelievable bites can add up. This is a serious outing and 2 people (hungry people) can eat up $250.00 pretty quickly.

In closing I will say....Its worth EVERY PENNY.

Enjoy!

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

This is a great find right in my own neighborhood. This venue is a comfortable, gracious restaurant. Not just a crowded, Spartan place to toss down a quick meal. You can actually bring a date to Blue Ribbon. The food is wonderful. And there is a full wine menu. The tables are not pushed tightly together and there is no pressure by the wait staff to vacate your seat. The decor is warm and welcoming. I heartily recommend giving it a try.