“Neighborhood restaurant getting just a bit too comfortable”

Community Food & Juice
Ranked #721 of 14,592 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This restaurant clearly caters to local residents and Columbia and Barnard students' parents, according to our Barnard niece, who enjoys the food.
We were neither impressed with the service nor the food. Our beet salad was delicious but it took over a half hour after that to get our main courses. My rare lamb was charcoal black and the presentation was lack luster. They advertised half price wines the night we were there, but the modest bottle we ordered could not possibly have cost $52 full priced.
I like they take advantage of the neighborhood good will, and for expensive prices in a university environment, one should expect more. As the NY Times recently discussed, the descriptions far out weigh the food itself. It is too bad. I hope they will work toward being more consistent.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Ate there for lunch ..... limited menu, seemed like mostly students (and their families)
> I ordered a vege burger (mashed chick peas). When I asked them to add lettuce, she said it'd be $1 extra (for lettuce? well, it is NY.... but it's too greedy for me) The vege burger was mushy and had no flavor. My fries were hot, but a little soggy.
> My fiance had a 'grass fed burger' and made a face after the first bit. When I tasted it, it had no taste? We compared it to one we had last week and another restaurant that was full of flavor and seasonings....
The salads that came by us looked pretty good and I wish I'd ordered one of them.....

We've eaten there for breakfast (a safer bet) and had a good meal...... but, again, they served a small size portion of syrup for my pancakes and they charged me for another syrup (CHEAP!).
We won't be going there again.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We arrived at 7PM for dinner - seated around 7:20. Table of 7. Father's Day. Our waitress was slow and inexperienced. Things got worse. Dinner arrived around 8:15 with many apologies. Free dessert was offered - we should have declined. Remarkably, they charged us for the Tea we ordered with dessert. We did not exit the restaurant until 9:30 PM, all because service was so bad. We all felt ripped off by the experience. I will not go to this restaurant again.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This place was recommended to us and we had high hopes, especially after waiting 20 minutes for a table. We had matzo ball soup, pancakes, and a fruit plate. The pancakes were probably were the best of the lot, the soup was rather tasteless and the fruit was not that good. Portion size quite small for their prices. This is obviously a favorite in the neighborhood, maybe we ordered the wrong items but I don't see the appeal.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld and friends famously ate in an anonymous (on the program) restaurant, whose exterior ("Restaurant") is across Broadway from Community. They should have crossed the street! I found the food and service to be excellent, specifically delicious huevos rancheros and freshly squeezed orange juice, everything organic, free range, locally sourced, etc. The menu selection is fairly broad, satisfying a range of appetites. Breakfast at Community was a pleasant experience that I hope to repeat on my next visit to Morningside Heights.