“Tasty and fun”

Empanada Mama
Cuisines: Colombian, Latin, South American
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

My daughter (a super fussy eater) and I went around noon on a Saturday, and had a quick, casual and delicious lunch of plantain chips (crisp, fresh and tasty) with guacamole (perfect) and 3 empanadas, washed down with fresh mint lemonade and a coconut-guava martini. So many choices of styles and fillings even fussy-pants found something she loved -- and at $2.50-$4 a piece, I wouldn't have freaked out if she hadn't eaten hers (actually I probably would've gobbled it down). It is a very tiny place, with single row of 2-tops opposite a counter with a few stools, so I wouldn't go with a group larger than 4, unless you mind waiting and/or being split up. But the 2 of us were seated right away, the service was friendly and reasonably fast -- the plantain chips and guac kept us very happy for the 15 min or so it took for our empanadas to come out-- and the place was clean, bright and cheerful. Highly recommended!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I wish I had ordered more here, because the empanadas were THAT good. The place was kind of small and busy, which is a bad combination and which was why I didn't stay to order more.

1  Thank clewgurl16
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Service was slow and it didn't need to be. We were prepared to wait knowing how popular it is but there were essentially 8 settings open and were seated right away. After that, the service was slow and inaccurate - two kids, two adults only three drinks came and it happened twice. Only half the number of items ordered came to the table. Lastly, 18% tip added automatically to parties of four and easy to tip twice if not paying attention. Now the good news - the food is really good. We had the guacamole (awesome), and three empenada (brasil, spicy chicken, reggaeton). The Brazil was awesome, the reggaeton good. Spicy Chicken ok but the spice overpowered the taste. Overall, will likely go back as the food and the price are very good. Hoping waiter was just having an off night.

1  Thank PaulD281
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have visited this restaurant in the last two visits to New York City. At first we found it by accident. I ordered empanada and a Columbian Tamale - sooooo good. On the second visit, i tried the Arroz con Pollo (rice w/ Chicken) not as good to my moms (but that's not really a fair comparison) First visit was during the day - wait was not long. Second visit was in the evening and the wait was about 35 minutes but worth the wait.
They do have a 2nd location - more of a fast food type of location not far from the ferry.

1  Thank Lissete_1227
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had dinner here one night. Even though we came in around 9:30 or 10 the place was still full. We waited only 10-15 for a proper table and just hung out at the little bar top until then. We split a pitcher of sangria was was delicious and boozey and we felt so great after. The empanadas were out of this world. Can't wait to come back.

1  Thank Holly S