“Good but not outstanding”
Review of Empanada Mama - CLOSED

Empanada Mama
Cuisines: Colombian, Latin, South American
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Simple small place, "cozy", packed even on an average Monday night (11pm to 12am). We are not experienced with Hispanic cuisine, first time at the restaurant. Obviously, I cannot speak to how authentic the food is.

Considering 24 hours coverage, the menu is quite extensive. We ordered hot tea, hot (spicy) guacamole, 5 different empenadas and flan.

The guacamole was fresh but not really spicy. The empenadas' content was very tasty, some we liked, some not so much, but we chose some of them as "hey, this looks interesting, let's try it", so this is more a measure of personal taste.

We observed some neighboring tables to spoon the content out of the empenadas. A few hours later we figured out why: The deep fried dough shell was starting to bother our stomachs (was easily fixed with a little vodka ;-) ). So spoon out the content if you have a sensitive digestive system...

The flan was nothing special, we could have gotten at a local diner.

I would not go to NYC (1.5hrs drive) for this restaurant, but being in the neighborhood late at night, I would definitely consider going again.

1  Thank wersonst

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Given reviews and a recent trip to Argentina I expected to really like Empanada Mama, and it just didn't quite happen. Good food, A somewhat intimidating menu, a somewhat rough decor and fair service created a good but not great experience. Worthwhile but not Wow!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The place is small, so be ready to wait if you want a table. The empanadas are quite cheap and very tasty, with several filling options.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

You don't really come across empanadas in South Africa and having been introduced to them by a Spanish colleague, I was determined to find the best empanadas New York had to offer. After reading numerous reviews, and having a limited time in New York, I decided to give Empanada Mamas a try.

We went early (7pm) as they don't accept reservations (or didn't when I was there), and we got the last table. The selection of empanadas was vast, so we started off by ordering some plantain chips and guacamole to snack on while deciding. I could have just had those, they were so delicious and unlike anything I've ever eaten before.

Finally, we decided and were quickly presented with baskets of deliciousness. Everything we tried tasted fantastic (although I preferred the "normal" empanadas to the corn ones - but that's personal taste).

I really enjoyed the hustle and bustle of this unpretentious restaurant - the people watching is great - so many people coming in to order take out and the fast turnover of tables; the food is wonderful and the service isn't bad for such a busy place in such a confined space.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

BEWARE: HORRIBLE, RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Slow delivery time, and only half of the food will be deliver. When you call to bring to management attention they hang up the phone. How is this restaurant still in business with such poor service? FOOD is MEDIOCRE AT BEST.