“Great sushi meal before the theater” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Natsumi

Natsumi
Reserve with OpenTable
Natsumi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #198 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway + 8th Avenue
Transit: Subways: C E, 1, B D F V
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great sushi meal before the theater”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I went with a friend before seeing Wicked- we really enjoyed the food and the service was very nice. We were looking for a sushi place when we were down near Chelsea market, and found list place via a few searches on my iphone. I made a reservation for 5:30 a couple of hours before the seating time based on seeing people's recommendations, but this was on a Sunday. The food was very good, and we enjoyed the meal. They don't have the descriptions for the "normal" rolls, so that was a bit intimidating for a fairly new sushi eater. My friend had a combo plate and I ordered three rolls, and we had plenty of food and didn't feel rushed at all. I would definitely go back here. :)

New Jersey
“Japanese Sleeper Near Times Square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Due to its proximity to the theaters, the tables turn with theater goers pre show. this can make for taxed service staff and in particular the bus/cleaning crew.
We had a reservation for 3 at 7:30pm. we arrived 20 minutes early and inadvertently walked into their lounge rather than the restaurant (which are inside the Amsterdam Court hotel directly across the entry hallway from each other) so we were shown to the correct door.

The space is TIGHT so be prepared. we waited only 5 minutes at which point we were shown to our table. The bench seat was soaked with a drink. we stood there for about 5 more minutes while they cleaned. Then we realized the entire floor was also soaked. 5 more minutes of cleaning, wet mopping, dry mopping and presto....we were seated.

This type of thing does happen but shouldn't. With that said, that was the only sour point of the visit.

We started with a Sake Flight of 4 different Sake's. The flight was lower end (which I expected) but was still good. The Sake list was actually very good. We ordered by the glass as their glasses are quite big. We had a Great time sampling 8 different types and they paired well with the food.

The food was very good and we had forgotten the aforementioned ineptitude. All of the appetizers and Sushi was very good. We generally dine for 2 to 3 hours (3 1/2 this time )
there are a plethora of small plate options and an extensive Sushi list. The wait staff is very pleasant and we never felt rushed.
After Dining we went across the hall to the bar which was also very good and we hung out with and actress, voice over artist and ex ballerina from the met. very cool crowd.

I would recommend this place to anyone staying near Times Square.

New York City, New York
“Reservations are recommended!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I went with a friend for lunch on a whim, which probably wasn't a great idea. Next time I'll make a reservation. They were packed/reservation only at this time and we were only able to get seats at the sushi bar, which turned out to be fun since we got to watch them make the rolls.

I had spider rolls which were delicious and a lycheetini? Lychee martini? that was a kicker. I took one sip and sent it back. My server took it off the bill without any drama or even being asked +1.

Frankfurt, Germany
“Decent sushi, but a bit too touristy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I suppose it is my own fault for trying to eat close to Times Square, but I did find this restaurant to be way too toursity and way too focused on pushing people out the door.

The food was decent, and came quickly. The fish was fresh but not outstanding. Service was good, but a bit pushy (I was offered my check two times while still eating). Atmosphere was okay - a bit dark and a bit crowded and clearly designed to capture the touristy and theatre crowd.

All in all, an okay option if you're near Broadway or Times Square, but I think next time I'll travel a bit further.

• Visited October 2013
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was looking for Asian inspired food and wasn't disappointed. It is classed as Japanese/Italian but to be honest I was too sure where the Italian came into it.

I was very impressed with the service and the food was wonderful. The sushi dishes to share looked fantastic. I was a little disappointed by the sour value of my duck main course but not enough to spoil my evening. The atmosphere was pleasant and not too busy.

It is not expensive and would recommend for a meal if your looking for Japanese.

• Visited October 2013