“Gimmicky”
Review of Fig & Olive Uptown

Fig & Olive Uptown
Reserve with OpenTable
Fig & Olive Uptown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,338 of 14,292 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, Italian, Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: between 62 St & 63 St
Transit: Subway: F Train to Lexington Ave/63rd Street station; 4,5,6 Train to 59th Street/Lexington Ave station; N,R,W Train to Lexington Ave/59th Street station
Description: At FIG & OLIVE, we want to highlight our menu’s core ingredient of olive oil, which we use in place of butter in our dishes. From a sweet and delicate olive oil from the French Riviera that pairs well with a Steamed Lemon Sole Papillote to an assertive Spanish Picual or a Tuscan olive oil that holds its own with Seared Salmon with Fennel and Green Olives, and a green-fruit Provence olive oil that we serve with a Green Apple Sorbet. Our cuisine along with an elegant white, green and terra-cotta décor immerse our guests into the essence of the Mediterranean region.
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Fig & Olive has this method of attracting customers by promoting their supposedly outstanding selection of olive oils that they proudly display near the windows, yet the 4 that I tried were bland, and I could hardly tell the difference among them. They served us 3 kinds olive oils with pieces of too salty, dense and greasy foccacia for dipping; more likely a different kind of bread- such as a crusty Italian or a sourdough-would've helped to bring out the little flavor that the olive oils might have had. Which they didn't... The salads were so overpriced that we ended up just having a salad each and not ordering any other dishes; because on principle, a salad should not cost that much anywhere. Each salad had its own kind of olive oil, but if we hadn't discerned any flavor from sampling the olive oils with the bread before, we certainly didn't pick up on the subtle flavor notes that they claim the ones used for the dressing had. Our waitress had an attitude and was just trying to serve as many people as fast as possible. Restaurants like this one, and especially chain restaurants (which this is) don't even try to hide the fact that they are here strictly for profits with a disregard for the food they serve and their patrons.

1  Thank BelPot

Reviewed September 4, 2012

So supposedly the crostini are the things to try there, I missed out on that and they did look delicious. The olive oil was delicious yes, but certainly did not make up for the average salad and the less than impressive dessert (which at $10, I was expecting to be great). Overall, it was OK, nothing that I would recommend as a must try.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was one of the best restaurants I've been to in NYC. We took advantage of the Go Prix Fixe menu, and it was delightful. For appetizers, my son had the salmon crudo and the rest of us had the fig gorgonzola manchego salads -- all were incredible. For his entree, my son had the pesto shrimp pasta. He was unimpressed (he's 8), but the rest of us tasted it and thought it was a delicious, unique flavor. My mother had the branzino, I had the chicken tahini, and and my daughter had the filet mignon, all prepared to perfection. My daughter even said that she can never have another steak again after eating this one because nothing could ever compare. For dessert we had the chocolate pot de creme, another hit. Service was excellent. I would definitely go here again!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

went there with a friend for wine and appetizers at the bar. waiter was really incompetently snooty. portions barely visible. and the bread a real disappointment for the olive oil it comes with. but you have to ask for it! all in all a rather disappointing experience. has kind of chain feeling to it (which it is). next time i will go to Fishtail around the corner.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

In the first Fig & Olive to open in NYC, two friends and I decided to take advantage of restaurant week prices. Despite a reservation for 8 p.m., we had to wait an extra 10 minutes while some slow diners finished up. The place was packed, like sardines my grandma would have said.

As soon as we sat down, we received three different kinds of olive oils to try, with very nice soft cubes of fresh bread. Yummy.

The prices for the wine were (cough cough) exceedingly high. $12 and up per glass; $50 & up for a bottle. I'm not a wine drinker, but nevertheless I have to say that's kind of barbaric when the darn bottle costs only $7.99 or $10 in the liquor store. COME ON!

I did have the "restaurant week" dinner prix fixe for $37. First, came the pea and mint soup for an appetizer. It was a very generous portion (a bowl, not a cup) and it was simply delicious. Almost dessert-like. Definitely worth trying. Oh--and it is cool, not hot. Good for these high humidity days in New York.

Second, I enjoyed the Fig & Olive Summer Chicken Tajine. It didn't look very pretty (a jumble of small chicken breast and marinated veggies, but it was truly excellent. The chicken almost fell off of the bones. It and the veggies were succulent and perfectly seasoned--neither too salty nor sweet, neither too hot nor too bland. The little onions and carrots were divine.

The "strawberry dessert crostini" were three and almost too much to eat. I wish my companions had wanted to share. They were a delightful mixture of crunchy and creamy. I'm not usually a strawberry aficionado, but these did the fruit justice.

On the "I wish..." side, I have to say I'm very happy that I actually fit into the chairs provided. People who are over 200 lbs., say, may not fit into the chairs.

I wish the candles on the table had thrown more light. Very dark in there.

Romantic? Not really--unless you like thundering conversations to your left and right. Too darn noisy in there to really enjoy your meal.

And because it's so crowded, you feel under pressure to eat a little faster so that the next bunch of people can sit down.

When you're paying over $50-80 dollars per person, you don't want to feel rushed, squeezed, or blind.

Maybe try it for lunch when there is more light?