“Great informal fancy dinner!”
Review of Momofuku Ko

Momofuku Ko
Reserve with OpenTable
Momofuku Ko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 15,864 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Asian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

The ambiance is great! Very inventive dishes with lots of regional influences. It is pricy, but you will eat a lot... Very informal counter seating and great service - Young staff, but very well trained. Nice wine by the glass options - we would not recommend the wine pairing because it is too much wine... Nice location! I would distribute the menu prior to service rather than after check is paid... we should know what to expect and see if we would like to skip dishes.

1  Thank TravelCoachOriginal

Reviewed October 6, 2017 via mobile

It's always more fun being able to peek into the kitchen and see the chefs cooking and preparing your dinner right in front of you. We were seated with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine as it was our anniversary dinner. All the dishes were great but some of my favorites were the uni with the chickpea purée egg on egg (caviar), and the razor clam pineapple dashi. Throughout the night, some eggplants were being roasted, so i was excited to see that dish come out. A piece of white fish was steamed inside of the eggplant and was carved out table side. The eggplant had the nice smoked flavor and the fish was moist and juicy. Home run was the thinly sliced flash grilled beef with the special marinade. That's how i like my beef, almost raw! So flavorful, tender, i can eat this every day. Finished up the courses with one of those dry aged lamb legs in the showcase, lychee chard jelly dessert with shaved foie gras, and wild rice pudding with furikake. As you leave, they give you the menu card and a little cake to take home with. I had it the next morning with my coffee and it was very good.

Overall, service was attentive, wine selection was great (more on old world emphasis), and food exceptional. Definitely a special occasion restaurant. Oh my husband also love the fact that there is no dress code. =)

1  Thank Jun_Cruz
Reviewed September 4, 2017

The entire experience was magnificent. Very hard to find as it is in an alleyway and the sign is very small. Lucky the receptionist came out and could see we looked lost. We just came from shopping and we were very casual but they treated us like VIPs.

The food was magnificent. With the open kitchen, you get to see each course prepared and the chefs are all very friendly and accommodating when you ask them about a dish. Everything was nice and light. Small portions but about 12 courses.

The wine list is surprisingly good. Comparable to any top notch Michelin star restaurant. Sommelier Jake made our night. So friendly and knowledgeable about the wines. They have a great selection at reasonable prices.

Very nice change from most Michelin star restaurants which leave you stuffed with their heavy dishes. Asian influences make some of the dishes lighter so 12 courses is not that bad

2 star Michelin and well deserving of this rating.

Reviewed August 24, 2017

I was lucky enough to have visited this restaurant during my trip to New York celebrating my 40th birthday in March. WOW!! I could not fault any of it, the service, the food, the drinks, the ambience, it blew my mind!! I hope I will get chance to re-visit, it was the best meal I have ever eaten.

1  Thank LisaMarieG1976
Reviewed August 7, 2017

Wow is all I can say - we were genuinely blown away!
I booked Ko as part of a surprise birthday trip for my husbands 30th on recommendation from friends in the UK, and 58th best restaurant in the world does not do it justice!
Every course was delicious and a complete flavour adventure. We also loved the fact that it was mostly counter seating and the open kitchen gave for a fantastic atmosphere, with the chefs and waiting staff having easy flowing conversation with all the customers, and the fact that there were perhaps a maximum of 20 other covers added to this.
Stand out dishes for us were the fois gras, and the beef (I won't go into detail as there is no menu so each course is a surprise). We didn't have the pairing drinks (it was lunchtime and we had baseball tickets) however we did manage to get through 2 bottles of delicious wine, excellently recommended to us by the staff. The wine list is extensive and there is an option for every budget too which is unusual at this level of restaurant.
We were the last people in the restaurant yet the staff were all more than happy to sit and chat about our visit and what else we were up to and in no hurry to close up.
The menu is presented to you with some delicious cakes as you leave - another excellent touch!
A final point to note - we ate at le Bernardin the day after and it didn't compare - Ko was head and shoulders above, in all senses!!!

1  Thank Emma F