“Amazing food, fun atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Momofuku Ko

Momofuku Ko
Reserve with OpenTable
Momofuku Ko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #281 of 13,477 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian, International, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: East Village
“Amazing food, fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

The food never disappoints even with it's funky mix of food. I can't say the same for the backless seating, but it's a fun, noisy, bustling place where you come for the food!

Visited November 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
São Paulo, Brazil
“Very good food. One stop short of mindblowing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The service and laid-back atmosphere are outstanding. Everyone is extremely nice and welcoming to the guests who displayed their will to be there by calculating precisely at what time they had to log on to the website and make their reservations.
I can´t find anything wrong with any of the dishes that were served, some were spectacular and some were a bit less than that. Maybe I had very high expectations, but all-and-all I didn´t leave thinking "wow, what was that?", but instead "that was very, very good".

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Seattle
“Divine dinner with Snobby Som!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I scored my reservation at Momofuku Ko in a serendipitous booking attempt. There must have been a cancellation and I got lucky with an opening a few days beforehand. Typically one has to register on the website and aggressively visit the website in the appropriate booking window to attain said reservation. Therefor I was thrilled to get the res for my husband's birthday. We went for dinner on a Thursday night.
When we arrived we were greeted promptly. I wouldn't say the restaurant feels uptight, but it doesn't feel particularly cordial as can be expected in this type of setting. We were escorted to our seats at the bar (if I remember correctly its all bar seating) facing a small kitchen where scientist/chefs create gastro-magic with food!
There was a gentleman who took drink orders, I believe he was the sommelier as he was rather knowledgeable on the wines. He seemed very enthusiastic, but when I asked if he could give some background story on the restaurant he did not oblige, answering with something like, "the restaurant speaks for itself, just sit back and live the experience." His answer struck me as a bit pretentious as if he wasn't willing to spend 3 minutes to tell us about the restaurant concept, its owner or anything else. He also seemed put off that we were ordering individual glasses and cocktails rather than a bottle. That put me off a bit considering the sort of money you spend at this establishment. Food alone is $125 pp for dinner. Including drinks and gratuity you can expect to spend an absolute minimum of $350-400 for a couple.
The food was downright divine. Dinner was a series of something like 10-12 courses of small plates.The preparation was amazing and the chefs pace everything perfectly so that you dont receive your next course until you are finished with the previous and you never wait more than 5 minutes for it. You watch the chefs prepare and plate everything right in front of you and they are very friendly and lively.The cuisine itself is a fusion of cultural influences ranging from korean, japanese, french, italian (I'm sure there are others that I am missing). Preparation techniques varied but some of the most intriguing bordered on gastro-scientific with foam this and frozen foies gras that. The inventive juxtaposition of unexpected flavors are what make the food at this restaurant really pop!
All-in-all we had a nice dinner and it was a good experience. I think its the sort of place you go to once. You just want to experience it too see what those Michelin stars are all about!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
England
“Mindblowing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

It's hard to get a table here unless you really really want it and have a bit of common sense. The venue is small and unassuming, the service low key and unflustered , the food is bloody amazing. The chefs like to engage if you have a bit of knowledge to share. I can't work out where I would go next to up the ante. Superbo

Oslo, Norway
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Had my first dinner at Momofuku Ko last week and really enjoyed the experience.
Not only was the food and atmosphere just brilliant, but being able to actually watch the chefs perform their art of cooking right in front of me was as seeing Picasso paint or Dylan compose a song in real time.
The chefs were interested in us as guests and seemed sincerely honoured by us being there.

Even if I live in Norway and therefor have some travelling to do to get there I am certain I will come back to Momofuku Ko again.

• Visited September 2012