“Unique sushi and rolls at Aquamarine!”
Review of Aquamarine - CLOSED

Aquamarine
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 38th and 39th St.
Transit: Public bus stop within 200 ft. of the restaurant and Grand Central Terminal is close by.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Found this place while wandering 2nd avenue looking for an outdoor spot to eat. Saw that they had open-window seating so stopped inside and glad I did. The service was very friendly and welcoming. I think I had three different people asking if I needed anything and how everything was, but it was not intrusive...just good customer service. I started with the edamame beans that were nicely salted and came in a bowl that would be big enough for two people. I ate about half of them before the entree came, which was a roll called Amber. It was a fresh and spicy roll with cilantro, jalapeno and an interesting hint of citrus that made it both tasty and refreshing. The presentation was beautiful! Where most places will present the roll as 4-8 pieces all looking basically the same, Aquamarine presented 4 beautifully unique pieces. Each of these shared the similarity of the fresh fish, but differed enough that they all had their own unique flavor. Fantastic! Topping it all off was a delicious lychee martini. One thing that added to the service was that they had made an extra lychee martini in a slightly different way, and gave it to me to taste test. Always a pleasure to help out! ;-)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was used to go to Aquamarine quite often. Decent food and nice place. In February they closed for a few weeks and reopened with the same name but a new management. I went for lunch a few days after the opening and had the worst sushi in a long time. I don't event start describing why I did not like the service because there is no point. With such a bad quality of fish (not fresh, bad taste), who cares about the service?

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Our concierge at Eastgate Towere, Ann, recommended this place and we enjoyed a wonderful dinner here. The sushi and sashimi were perfect and fresh and reasonably priced. My wife had a steak that was perfect, and the manager/owner stopped by and brought us a comp glass of cabernet during the meal that was unexpected and appreciated! We recommend it highly, and will dine here again on our next trip to Manhattan.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I fell into this restaurant just walking down the street looking for a place to eat. I was very pleasantly surprised by the excellent food and trendy casual atmosphere. I will be back and highly recommend it to anyone looking for some excellent Asian food.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Well, I was just looking for sometihng close with a bar and television screens. The bartender (Bistra) was willing to make reccomendations, and they were spot on. Good crowd. Food was very good. Service was good. I don't know if I would take a group of business folks here, but I'd probably go again. No real red lights, except the area feels a little scary (but is safe).