“Our favorite food item of our trip”

Eileen's Special Cheesecake
Ranked #16 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: SoHo
Description: Eileen's Special Cheesecake opened for business in December, 1975, and arrived in lower Manhattan on December 4, 1976. It was a "ghost town" when I first arrived, but that didn't bother me because the rent was low and I desperately needed a place to bake for my growing wholesale business. I hadn't considered the retail aspects of the business until people started knocking on the door of the bakery wanting to buy cheesecake. With that encouragement, I purchased a bakery case and began to conduct retail business. Soon after our cheesecake attracted the press and we were listed in "Best Bites" in New York Magazine. Radio station WOR rated us "Number One Cheesecake" and we appeared on television quite often whipping up batters of cheesecake. Time passed, and now Cleveland Place is in a popular area where the mix of people and restaurants and shops are so unique. Downtown is becoming the "place to be", and we are actually on most maps now. We survived difficult times, and now "let the good times roll"!
Birmingham, Alabama
“Our favorite food item of our trip”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We were fairly full after just finishing lunch, but wanted to try Eileen's while we were in the neighborhood. I wish we could have eaten more or could have got some to save for later, but our hotel did not have a fridge. It was a very small place, but it was home to delicious cheesecake.

2 Thank amyw2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
“One of the best?”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

In a very little (but clean) place, you'll find the "Best cream cheesecake in NY" - I can't tell you if that self proclaimed statement is the truth, I didn't eat in all the places they serve cheesecake in NY (there are many places in Ny that claim they have the "Best of…", and I have to admit I'm not a fan of those "declarations"), but it was certainly one of the best I had. There is nothing to tell about the place (nothing impressive about the Decor), and I've decided to try their basic cheesecake (they have it in other "tastes" as well) - it was wonderful, and highly recommended!

1 Thank Ben B
Surrey, Canada
“Best cheesecake ever!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

While visiting New York with my partner, one of our goals was to find a place with really good cheesecake. Since NY is known for a few food items that we both enjoy (pizza, bagels, cheesecake) it made sense to make it a bit of a quest.

Eileen's plain cheesecake was so phenomenal, I've been back home for a couple weeks and I almost ordered a cheesecake from them online for $72! I'm a bit of a cheap bugger, so to even consider spending that on a cheesecake speaks volumes.

The cheesecake itself was moist, not dry, and a good balance between being dense but still tasting light and airy. The cheese flavour had the perfect amount of sweetness too, and I hate half of a 6" round cake in just a couple of minutes...easily...with no need to drink a bunch of water to rinse my palate. A slight lemony flavour aftertaste concluded what was the most enjoyable cheesecake we've ever had.

We'll definitely go back and recommend it highly. We sampled some other cheesecakes in Little Italy and Times Square, but Eileen's topped them all. :)

3 Thank vrecksler
London, United Kingdom
“If you love cheescake - you'll adore Eileen's”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

You're visiting this spot for the outstanding cheesecake rather than the comfortable seating and cafe ambience, and what it lacks in decor (and number of seats) it more than makes up for in flavours of cheesecake. You'll get a muffin sized individual portion rather than a slice from a larger cake, and there are a variety of flavours to choose from - four shelves worth in the fridge. The staff are super helpful and friendly and WOW that cheesecake is good. I made the mistake of following on with a Cannoli which turned out to be a sugary treat too far!

Top tips
1) don't eat before you visit - you'll want plenty of room
2) grab a coffee as well
3) leave your stroller/buggy outside, space is tight inside.
4) get take out too - the cheesecake is delicious!

1 Thank Scott S
London, United Kingdom
“Yummy!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Excellent cheesecake in a very quirky setting. We tried cookies and cream plus salted caramel. Well worth a visit!

1 Thank Charlottelucyhobbs