“Amazing!”

Ranked #25 of 14,311 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: SoHo
Description: Eileen's Special Cheesecake opened for business in December, 1975, and arrived in lower Manhattan on December 4, 1976. It was a "ghost town" when I first arrived, but that didn't bother me because the rent was low and I desperately needed a place to bake for my growing wholesale business. I hadn't considered the retail aspects of the business until people started knocking on the door of the bakery wanting to buy cheesecake. With that encouragement, I purchased a bakery case and began to conduct retail business. Soon after our cheesecake attracted the press and we were listed in "Best Bites" in New York Magazine. Radio station WOR rated us "Number One Cheesecake" and we appeared on television quite often whipping up batters of cheesecake. Time passed, and now Cleveland Place is in a popular area where the mix of people and restaurants and shops are so unique. Downtown is becoming the "place to be", and we are actually on most maps now. We survived difficult times, and now "let the good times roll"!
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful time at Eileen's.Cheesecake was simply amazing,smooth and full of harmony...a must-try in NYC!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This will be the best cheesecake you will ever eat. The selection is amazing! The atmosphere is very basic but it is still kind of quaint with all of the pictures of the different people who have been to this café. When I was there, they were filming a television show for the food network so that was cool.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Love, love, love their cheesecakes! Enjoyed every flavor of their mini cheesecakes. Always satisfy. Make a trip here, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife wanted to find this place after watching a James Martin programme where he proclaimed it made and served the best cheesecake in the world !!! It's a small little place on a street corner but don't let that fool you !! It's completely unspoilt and they make on sight and serve the most wonderful ranges of cheesecake. They also from this shop distribute orders made from all over the US. Staff were very chatty and knowledgeable on its history (its been there since the late 1970's) and the walls are adorned with pictures of very famous and not so famous customers. The actual cheesecake, well I had a strawberry one and my daughter had a chocolate cookie one and they were just absolutely Devine !!

I'm so pleased we went here so thank you James Martin and Eileen's Cheesecake Shop !!

1  Thank canberralover69
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I knew that it was near Sara Rooselvelt's park. After that, it was hard to find. We were about to give up and then we looked up, and there it was. You expect it to be much bigger (not sure I would call it a Restaurant!) As with the other review, the assistant explained what the cakes were. The mini cheesecakes were lovely costing $3.50 each. Dont know if that is expensive by US standards or not. We went back for seconds.