“Nothing ready-made for this vegan to sample!”

Eileen's Special Cheesecake
Ranked #16 of 14,122 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: SoHo
Description: Eileen's Special Cheesecake opened for business in December, 1975, and arrived in lower Manhattan on December 4, 1976. It was a "ghost town" when I first arrived, but that didn't bother me because the rent was low and I desperately needed a place to bake for my growing wholesale business. I hadn't considered the retail aspects of the business until people started knocking on the door of the bakery wanting to buy cheesecake. With that encouragement, I purchased a bakery case and began to conduct retail business. Soon after our cheesecake attracted the press and we were listed in "Best Bites" in New York Magazine. Radio station WOR rated us "Number One Cheesecake" and we appeared on television quite often whipping up batters of cheesecake. Time passed, and now Cleveland Place is in a popular area where the mix of people and restaurants and shops are so unique. Downtown is becoming the "place to be", and we are actually on most maps now. We survived difficult times, and now "let the good times roll"!
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was told that Eileen's makes a vegan/tofu cheesecake, but when I got there, I was told that they only make it full-size, and you have to order it ahead of time. So while my family members got to try a couple of different small cheesecakes and raved about how good it was, there was nothing for me. Well, if I want a vegan cheesecake, I will definitely be going elsewhere!

1  Thank Charming_Karl

Reviewed July 10, 2013

After seeing the great comments here we went to try Eileen's special cheesecake.
Quite frustrated, they are not special at all and are just ok, nothing more.
I prefer much more the one my sister prepares herself!
Nice staff, though.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

When you look at the top 10 restaurants in New York, you'll see Eileen's Special Cheesecake. Who doesn't loves cakes? Especially when they advertise themselves as "Special". Needless to say, we took the subway downtown, and headed to Eileen's. It's easy to find when you are using your mobile GPS [Wayz]. I took a picture from across the street and couldn't believe it's such a small place. Sometimes you can find a treasure in a small shop. Since there was no place to seat, we chose 2 cakes from the display, and went to find a cup of coffee elsewhere. The cakes were good, but I think I've had a few better in my life.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Cannot describe how GOOD it was. My husband does not like cheesecakes but he loved this one! we even returned specifically to the neigthborhood to eat it again before coming back to our country. NO words to describe its excellent flavour! do not miss it!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

After reading the reviews on this site I put it on our must see places to eat at and am glad we went.
I had a chocolate cheesecake and my partner had the new york cheesecake and they were both delicious.
You can taste why this place is so popular and has been for many years, if you can visit Eileen's!!!