“Excellent Cheesecake.”

Ranked #16 of 13,689 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: SoHo
Description: Eileen's Special Cheesecake opened for business in December, 1975, and arrived in lower Manhattan on December 4, 1976. It was a "ghost town" when I first arrived, but that didn't bother me because the rent was low and I desperately needed a place to bake for my growing wholesale business. I hadn't considered the retail aspects of the business until people started knocking on the door of the bakery wanting to buy cheesecake. With that encouragement, I purchased a bakery case and began to conduct retail business. Soon after our cheesecake attracted the press and we were listed in "Best Bites" in New York Magazine. Radio station WOR rated us "Number One Cheesecake" and we appeared on television quite often whipping up batters of cheesecake. Time passed, and now Cleveland Place is in a popular area where the mix of people and restaurants and shops are so unique. Downtown is becoming the "place to be", and we are actually on most maps now. We survived difficult times, and now "let the good times roll"!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent Cheesecake.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Go here! It's one of those great big city places that does more or less one thing and does it exceptionally well. We found ourselves a couple of blocks away and so made a short detour. Very well worth it. I enjoyed the mini peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake. The tiny place was packed so we bought a nicely parcelled box and ate in the little park across the street. Bliss!

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
“Yum!!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

After seeing this shop on a UK show and the story behind Eileen's cheesecake we decided to find it ourselves during our trip. And it was well worth the trip!! So light and creamy... Totally delicious. The staff were amazingly friendly which made the hour walk we did well worth it!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Cheesecake I've Ever Had.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Eileen's is reputedly one of the best cheesecake places in all of... THE WORLD.. I can, in my limited experience, say that this is quite possible the case. With cakes so light and fluffy that they're really, REALLY, light and fluffy. Exquisite taste (I had the original recipe) and a plethora of different flavours, all I should think, similarly wonderful. Around the corner from Rice To Riches and Lombardi's; you can order to take away in a box large, medium or miniature-sized cakes to enjoy the best of both worlds as I did on my visit to the area.

• Visited June 2013
“Great cheesecake and wonderful selection”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

After reading the reviews we decided to give this place a visit.

Its a lovely shop with wonderful staff.

The cheesecake was great, but for me not the best I had whist in New York.

The choice of flavours has to be seen.

Harriman, TN
“Great cheesecake, even if you get it plain....”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

They have so many options, even plain is great! We had wine and cheesecake one night for dinner, best dinner we had the whole week. We ate outside and the night life mixed with wine and cheesecake was the best!

Visited September 2012