“Best Sushi in town, and some considerations”
Review of Sasabune

Sasabune
Ranked #3,228 of 14,031 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is definitely the best Sushi you can have in New York. The quality of the food is amazing and you can't have a better Toro or e better Uni in town.
The place is tiny, but this gives you the real impression of a small sushi restaurant as you can find in Japan. The service is bullet fast, even too fast, you sometimes have the impression that they want you to eat quickly in order to make place for other guests (which probably is true, seen the small size of this restaurant). It must be said that I saw presliced fish, and sushi made from it. This is not a terrible thing, seen the high quality of the fish, but this is not perfectly correct. It shows that speed of preparation and of service play a role in this restaurant. Anyway you have a wonderful sushi for a reasonable price, not so horrendous as e.g. Sushi of Gari, and better in quality. They only serve Sushi as omakase (so you can't choose, they do it for you), that makes it faster and easier for them but also interesting and exciting for you.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am a sushi snob and sub par overpriced sushi is everywhere. Is this sushi one of the best ever: YES. Is it very expensive: YES. Is it worth the price: In this case, I do admit YES. You need a rsvp. The restaurant is a tiny place. Even at the sushi bar, its elbow to elbow. The decor is nothing fabulous. Traditional japanese decor. Its always Omakse. They feed you till they think you had enough which is a lot. Food came out very fast, a little too fast in my opinion Typically, high end sushi places is underportioned for the prices. This place is not. We recieved a wide range of fish and shell fish pieces. Probably 20 pieces each. The rice is perfect. Fish, variety and creativity in subtle homemade sauces enhanced each and every bite. The bill was $300 for two with no alcohol, no dessert, no drinks. Great experience but only in a special occasion. Must try for a sushi snob. Most ppl there were upper east side locals. Bring you appetitite, lots of cash, sit back and enjoy.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

It can't get any better than this--it just wouldn't be possible. Ask Zagat where it scored a 29 out of a 30--an honor not too many restaurants can boast.
The food is delicious-varied-and not your typical sushi place. Don't ask for California rolls..and let them decide what to serve you.
It is expensive, but when you can readily say it will be the best Sushi you have ever had, it's worth every cent.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I love sushi so We were very excited to go to sasabune which was highly recommended by my food loving friends.
At first glance the place is horrible! The carpet was so dirty, it looked like it hasn't been vacuumed in years! But as true New Yorker I know better than to judge a book by its cover. We had a reservation for 9:30 as soon as we sat te server told us that we had to eat fast because the restaurant closes at 10 so we got upset and told them that I wasn't going to hurry, that I came to enjoy my sushi, still the waiter brought everything all at once without an explanation with the worst attitude ever. And at 10:30 we had all the staff from the restourant watching us eat with an annoyed look. We literally got kicked out and I am not exaggerating. We paid a good amount of money and the least we expected was great service. I mean, is it to much to ask? So please don't go here because in my opinion when you are willing to spend that amount of money on food, you expect great service and to be able to enjoy a nice bottle of sake taking you time to eat and savor each bite.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

IF you are in the neighborhood, I guess you go. But it is really the locals that have pumped up the ratings on this place. Rice is done correctly, which is key in sushi. But really very uninspired over-all. Better off going down town a dozen blocks to Sushi Seki, that is for sure.