“Terrible stay!!!!”
Review of AKA Central Park

AKA Central Park
Ranked #235 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I have staded with my family some days ago for the New York Marathon.
Since we arrived we had a problem with our reservation. The type of room we booked it wasn´t what we got.
Also, breakfast was horrible. Only 6 tables for the big hotel. No service, no food, nothing to eat or drink. I can not understand how they charge breakfast in that condition. No service staff or managment answer.
I would never recommend this hotel. Horrible experience.

• Stayed: October 2008
7  Thank dagnelli
There are newer reviews for AKA Central Park

Reviewed October 12, 2008

We have stayed at the AKA several times over the last few years, and though it was always great, it keeps getting better. We like the large and stylish one bedroom apartments, perfect for staying with our 5 year old because of their size and the presence of a kitchen. The free continental breakfast is wonderful (fresh pastries, yogurt and granola, espresso / coffee, etc), the free laundry and exercise rooms are great, and the staff are always helpful. Expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2008

AKA Central Park has a great location just 1 block to Central Park, 2 minutes walk to 5th Ave and very close to Subway stops on a few lines. We stayed in a 1 bed apartment in the hotel. There is a laundry room in the basement (free of charge) for all guests to use though at times it was very busy. The hotel has a Gym and free Internet access. You can either bring your laptop and use WIFI in your room or there are 4 apples pcs in the breakfast room together with a printer for you to use.

Staff were very nice and helpful. Rooms were clean and I am quite fussy about places being clean. Organic Supermarket about 10 minutes walk away called Whole Foods but there are small dellies near by.

Just like everything else the area around the hotel is very expensive to do anything. Do not go to Diva Nails they rip you off when you have your nails done. We were quite shocked by the prices of everything in New York as we havent been for 8 years.

Would we go again Yes probabaly but to hire a cot for the baby was too much so we had the baby in with us not ideal. AKA need to think about what facilities they could have for families as a family of 4 could stay there if they had sofa beds in the living room (not just sofas). The best thing about the hotel is the location. One of the cheapest hotels in the area (but still quite expensive).

My only issue with the hotel was that they over charged us (our group had 3 rooms 2 1 beds and 1 studio) and all 3 bills were wrong when we checked out but the manager did eventually resolve all issues and refund the difference. So if you stay there check your bill for mistakes. Keep all quotes you are emailed before you go and take them with you to check against when you check out.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank inreb
Reviewed September 27, 2008

When we arrived at the hotel they did not have our booking. The booking was made via their website and luckly I had the confirmation from their website and an email as well from the company. After about 30mins we were finally checked into a room, with an option of changing the following morining (as the bed was smaller than in other rooms). The receptioon staff weren't very helpful as they looked at us as if it was our problem and did not keep us up to date on the situation, while we sat in the reception area. It seemed that we were bottom of their priorities as everyone who came in to the hotel after us seemed to be assisted and we were left waiting.

Once we got in to our studio room on the 15th floor we were VERY happy! We had a veranda and at night had no noise from the traffic below. We ended up staying in this room as we liked it. I have to say that while we were waiting in reception I did here people complaining about the noice from their rooms e.g. air con and traffic. This was another reason that we stayed in the room we were given. I had remembered people saying in other trip advisor reviews about the noise.

The kitchen, bathroom and bedroom area was ample for two people staying and the added bonus of a veranda was great. We could sit outside at night and have a glass of wine before going out for dinner.

I would reccommend this hotel as a place to stay due to the room (that we finnaly got) was good, it is VERY central to central park, 5th Avenue and Times Square.

I would also urge that you double check your reservation and ask for a top floor room.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank netherurd
Reviewed September 19, 2008

We just returned from our stay in the Central Park location. The location is great and the room is spacious and clean. The breakfast is also wonderful - however, the supervisor is constantly overlooking guests eat and checking to see how much is taken, ect.

The "business center" is not really a business center. It is a four-computer station with a printer and it is located in the same area where breakfast is served. If you are planning to get any work done, i suggest not to do it within the breakfast or early afternoon hours - it is like a revolving door and noisy. Bring your laptop and work in your room.

The front desk staff and doorman are very helpful, except when there is a problem.

Our toilet was broken, we had the handyman in our room, once on the first day, three times on the second day, and one last time on our last day. Wewere not offered another room, they just kept sending the handyman with a plunger.

On the first day we requested a roll-away bed, we were told it was $100 per night, i refused. I mentioned to the staff that the book of cards in the room describing the amenities noted that it was "(complementary"). He was baffled, did not know why that would say that ??? and boldly stated that he could not possibly give us a roll-away complementary.

He called that evening and said we would get the roll-away free, but it was not available that night, because were were part of a co. that got everything free. I didn't refuse of course.
On the last day i checked my bank account and noted a charge for $135 and change from Granny rentals or something or other. This was a one night charge for the roll-away bed. I inquired at the front desk and they had no idea why i was only charged one night. Not only that, but they did not have any information from the original staff who told me that iwould be free!

I gave them the rest of the day to come up with with an answer and/or contact the staff member who told me it would be free or the manager.

Neither was done by the time i checked-out. I could not get to speak to a manager - sounds like no one is able to at this location.
My problem was not resolved - and i doubt it ever will. I was supposed to get a call from the manager... i'm still waiting.
The disappointment is the one night charge, it was the lie by the original staff that it would be free, and the lack of cooperation of the other staff (assistant general manager) to try to resolve the situation in a promptly manner.
Additionally, the manager was no where to be found.
Honestly, the location is great but i would not return - there are far better four star locations in the area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank iris38
Reviewed September 10, 2008

Stayed here for first 5 nights of our holiday in NY as wanted to be close to Central Park; we were not disappointed. Apartment block is 3 mins from the park (which should be an absolute must on any NY visit). Reception staff were incredibly cheerful and everyone was helpful and accommodating.
The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast (not cooked but very nice indeed!), complimentary afternoon coffee and fab cakes, scones, etc. If it is depleted just ask/knock at/on the kitchen door and the staff will replenish immediately. Not sure about the evening spread being complimentary but on the first evening we were pleasantly surprised by a superb spread of cold meats, bread, salads, etc - wow! Apples are available at anytime on the 2nd floor.
Decor is stone, slate and steel; very modern but cool. The apartments are modern, spacious and very comfortable, containing all you require - just what I would expect in a serviced apartment.
Free internet access with PCs or Macs is in the eating area so you can have a coffee and cake and browse your emails.

My only gripes would be the lack of natural light; we were on the 5th floor and I suspect it wasn't such an issue higher up; and the noise of the AC unit outside of the window. If I had paid the full price I would have expected an apartment on a higher floor; Priceline customers are more likely to be on less desirable floors (but not always).

I always consider my measure of any stay is the willingness to stay at the same place again..yes please...just higher up!

Would/have recommend(ed) this place to all of my friends.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BBFly_by_niter
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We recently spent 4 nights at the AKA Central Park.
The location is great: close to restaurants, shops, metro and obviously Central park.
The room was a little bit small but very clean and equipped with modern furniture, plasma TV, small kichen in the entrance.
The negative point was that the air conditioning was noisy.

Continental breakfast was ok but we would have appreciated if, in addition to coffee and thea, some juices (or at least mineral water) were available.

Persons at the reception were very kind but not prepared as we would expect from a 4 stars hotel. No info on Brodway shows, no suggestions for tours or others.

In any case, sooner or later we will return.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple