“We loved staying here and definitely will be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of AKA Central Park

AKA Central Park
Ranked #208 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Olympia, Washington
“We loved staying here and definitely will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our stay here was absolutely wonderful. The hotel is very clean and the staff very helpful. It has a great location just 1 block from central park and only a few blocks from 2 great subway stations that can get you pretty much anywhere. Our room was a Deluxe Suite Room on the 9th floor. We had freshdirect.com deliver food too our room the day we were going to arrive and the hotel staff put it in our room prior to our arrival. They offer free laundry self-service. It is downstairs in the lower level and you just bring your items down there, put them in the wash (soap is provided by hotel) and then in about 20 min they are done washing. Drying takes about 30 minutes. This is so handy! We had no problem leaving our wash down there while we were getting ready in the morning, there are staff members and camera's throughout the hallway area so we felt that we would not have anything stolen. All in all this was the best hotel experience I've ever had. The beds were so comfortable! Our room was very quiet and we never heard any street noise. Even that being said during our stay they had a company going around and measuring the windows for installment of soundproof windows, so if there were rooms that did have noise they shouldn't for too much longer!

Room Tip: Book through the hotel website. Communicate with the hotel staff and they will help you with just ab...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

The AKA at Central Park is a great place to stay especially if you are intending to stay for more than a week. We found it to be gorgeous, stylish, spacious and modern looking and we were quite impressed with the recently refurbished 3rd floor which has rooms catering for the disabled and wheelchair bound. We originally booked to stay at the AKA (based on recommendations from locals) hoping the refurbishments would be completed upon our arrival. Unfortunately they were not completed due to unforseen circumstances however the staff (manager, concierge, doormen) were incredibly kind, courteous and helpful in finding us alternative accessible accomodation whilst offering us all the facilities at AKA as well. This included free breakfast, internet (boardroom), gym, concierge services. The service was quite impressive despite us not even staying there! Next time we are in NY, we will definately stay at AKA. It is so central to everything and the hot spots are all easily accessible. The people at AKA were wonderful and the experience was certainly memorable - we wished we actually stayed there!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Georgina511
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

To find an ideal hotel which is affordable is quite difficult in Manhattan.
I have been trying back and forth for several years, but never been felt really comfortable with one exception at Mandarin Oriental when I had some budget to stay.

Anyway, this one here just close from fashionable street of the 57th, I found quite satisfactory comparing all other quite disappointing hotels in the town.
The staff of the reception is quite friendly considering this is in New York, also the room is not that disappointing level, well furnished, clean and the interior design is simple which is a great deal. They even had a nice kitchen, although I did not use so much it is good to have a fridge with a good room to keep your drinks.

Also another good thing - is, that it was not that difficult to get on a cab in front of this hotel.
Some hotels have very bad access or unhelpful staff to get a cab in mid-town.

The cafe -which is located on the ground floor provides nice fresh juice with quite nice coffee, but you cannot put the bill on your room which is a little inconvenient.

When I checked out, I wanted to spend all my dollars so I asked the receptionist to pay partially by cash and the balance in credit card, this arrangement could take quite a while, which I rarely experience with any other hotels in the world, and the bill seemed to be a little confusing, but in the end they made it right but I think it could be done in more efficient and simple way.

But overall I liked the stay - in the way of its simpleness. True, it is a great location, nothing special but nothing so annoying ( unfortunately there are too many annoying hotels in New York ) . I think I will come back again if I have a chance to come to New York on business.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank suiren
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

A very cool hotel 100 yards from 5th Avenue and Central Park. Very big rooms for New York. The staff are helpful and well-informed.
Although our 4th floor apartment had big windows, there is not much light due to surrounding tall buildings, higher floors probably a better bet.

Room Tip: Best value if you are staying for a week or more.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

The reception staff where extremely helpful and eager to help with whatever request I had. I asked for a quiet room and got exactly this with no street noise audible. The room was very comfortable and the facilities in the room better than in most hotel I have stayed in. The restaurant attached closed rather early, ut theer are more than enough restaurants close by. The location is also very convenient and within walking distance of many attractions.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

This hotel suited us perfectly. It didn't have allthe bells and whistles of mini bars and room service but it was clean and schmick and was in a prime location. It is a stones throw from central park and Madison/ 5th ave so you can easily shop to you hearts content and close to the f train so you can head downtown. Highly recommend it

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Lewes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

We choose to do a mini holiday over Easter break and visit NYC. It was our daughter's first trip and my second. We choose this hotel because it is close to Central Park, smoke free and the nightly price was well within out budget and significantly less than the other hotel we stayed at in NY, The New York Palace. I cannot say enough wonderful things about AKA Central Park. The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful from front desk (Reddy), the doorman (Larry) and the maintenance man (sorry no name who assisted my Wife and Child with a remote controlled toy while I was out). We chose a smaller room as that is all we needed and it was more than adequate. We were given room #1201 which had views out the rear of the building. Check out the headless statues on the building across the way. My 7 year old girl thought they were really cool, as did I. The room was great and the best hotel bath we have ever seen. Very comfortable beds, microwave, mini fridge with freezer, granite counter tops in the kitchen area and terazzo(sp?) tile in the bathroom, flat screen tv and DVD player are some of the features of this room. Location is great: 1 block to the park, .5 blocks to the nearest subway N,Q,R. which can take you to 42nd and Times Square to catch the 1,2,3 or A,C,E lines. Going downtown or uptown is incredibly easy. The restaurant A Cafe serves great coffee. My wife enjoyed the Bolivian blend and the coffee was freshly ground for her. Nearby is a very reasonable sandwich shop called Angela's on 6th between 58th and Central Park S. We had the Vietnamese sandwich special with chicken on ciabatta bread. It was the best sandwich I have ever had! For kids, everything was within walking distance, Central Park, FAO Schwartz, Rockefeller Center, and the Sony Wondertech lab (it's free). Our daughter had a blast, as did we. The only upgrade I would suggest would be more cartoon channels for the TV. Although we did not come to NYC to watch TV and this was not a big deal, but could be a nice feature if required. Oh, check out the very cool lounge at night and the fitness center during the day. Both were features that surprised us both and we enjoyed them thoroughly. If you need access to the internet, they offer free WIFI or a business center with PCs and MACs for those, like me, who did not bring their laptops. Other reviews complained about the noise at night. I did hear it, but I am a light sleeper anyway. This is NYC; not the country. Outside noise is a part of life in a city. Neither my Wife nor Child heard the night noise and was never an issue. To summarize in a more succinct version, this is the best and coolest hotel we have ever stayed in and we have stayed in many. If AKA Central Park is representative of the AKA chain, I would not hesitate to stay in any of them and would look for availability in AKA first before any other options.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family