San Carlos Hotel
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$119
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$162
$124
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $160/night.

Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$197
$186
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$200
GardenInn.com
$134
  • Room Service
The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$152
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$149
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$284
$242
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$169
$149
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$139
$90
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of $147/night.

1,576 results
All reviewsyogurtcontinental breakfastaveda productsnew yorkone bedroom suiteess a bagelrockefeller centercentral parksofa bedsmall kitchenfree wifistreet noisewithin walking distancetimes squarefridge and microwaveliving areabusiness center
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed at the San Carlos during Christmas which is probably one of the busiest times of the year in NYC. The first impression of the hotel was the warmth and friendliness of the staff, from the bell hop to front desk! Check in quick and easy. Walking distance to Rockefeller plaza, subway and more. The maid service was wonderful and the hotel (not just our room) was impeccably clean at all times. there were a couple of times when we requested extra soap or towels, within 3-4 minutes of calling down to front desk, we had what we requested. The rooms are a bit larger than a standard hotel room and two queen beds makingit feel a little more roomy. Fridge and microwave in room and everything in good working order and very clean. Breakfast was continental and included mostly breads, and breakfast pastries, cereals, apple or bananas and yogurt. Also bagels on just a couple of days, simple and quick breakfast option. My favorite was the hot milk in the carafe each morning. I put a lot of milk in my coffee and tea and most hotels only have the chilled milk for cereals, not hot milk so this was a pleasant bonus. A couple of days the breakfast room was full, but you didnt have to wait more than a few minutes for a table we usually got there befor 8 and no wait, but after 8:30-9, it got very busy. There is also a nice breakfast diner directly across the hotel, but it is a bit pricey as is most everything in the city! But convenient if you want to have eggs or pancakes or more substantial breakfast. Did I mention how nice and courteous the staff were? The Aveda shampoo and conditioner were sooo nice and shower was very hot and wonderful in the cold weather. The hotel car service is convenient and prompt in picking up and dropping at airport. Overall excellent service, great location and very very clean!! Definitely would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Fam-friendly-Travel
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Decided to try the hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and a very good price. Stayed for five nights the week before Christmas in one of the one bedroom suites--which was larger than most New York apts. The small kitchen actually had usable utensils, plates and wine glasses with a small refrigerator. The bed was comfortable and the bathrooms well appointed. The free breakfast was not extensive but had juice, yogurt, fruit, coffee and breads. If you wanted someplace more there was a great diner across the street.

The lobby is well appointed and there is a nice, free, business center. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The only downside, and the reason I did not give a "five" was because the in room wifi was totally unreliable. You could get a signal only about half the time and even then you would get bumped off. I had work I needed to do and I lost quite a bit one night because the wifi went down. The signals from the surrounding hotels were much stronger and always available (if of course you had the access code which you don't). The front desk didn't do anything or seem concerned when I twice raised the issue.

The location is perfect. Easy walking distance to everything but off the main drags so you don't have the noise etc. There is a subway station a block away and it's only about 4 blocks to Grand Central. There are a number of close by restaurants ranging from a diner to high end--including several with takeout. There is a Duane Reade around the corner and a Starbucks a block away.

I will definitely stay here again--as long as I can figure out a different option for wifi.

Room Tip: Upper floors give you a bit more sunlight.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank murphykds
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I just stayed at the San Carlos several weeks ago, and I decided on this location based on location and price point. I got an extra low rate by going on their hotel website and booking a non-refundable room, which was fine b/c it was only a few days before my trip. The recommended parking lot was full upon our arrival, but we said we were staying at the San Carlos, and they happily let us into the lot. The front desk staff was so friendly and made us feel very welcome. They held a key for my friend who was arriving later that evening, and he told us he felt like a VIP by the way they greeted him upon arrival. We had a spacious suite which was clean, modern and very comfortable. When we checked out in the morning, they happily held our bags behind the desk while we got lunch and watched a football game at a nearby restaurant. The experience was just wonderful, and this is my new go-to spot when in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Adria E
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night the week before Christmas. The hotel immediately exceeded my expectations. The rooms were large, beds comfortable, bathrooms appointed with Aveda products. The room was exceptionally clean. Special kudos for the staff, especially Fabio in reservations and Yadim on the desk. These two were outstanding, but there was a young woman on the desk who made recommendations and was really helpful, as well the doorman. Our room was on a higher floor, so there was minimal street noise and no sound from adjoining rooms. Location an easy walk to Rockefeller Center and Central Park, as well as 5th Ave shopping. The free continental breakfast was ok--nothing great, but ok. That and so-so towels were my only (and small) complaints. If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel in NY, you can't go wrong with the San Carlos. I will stay here again and have already let my friends know about it.

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you, you might want to request a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank headwinds325
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Reservations: easily made over the internet.
Check-in: professional and efficient but less warm than on previous visits.
Room: very large and well appointed. Furniture in excellent condition. Nice sized bathroom. Flatscreen TV. Excellent bath products and bed linens. Towels were OK.
Internet: FREE!!!!!!!!!
Check-out: fast efficient but somewhat impersonal.

No gym in hotel.
Good diner across the street for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Location: easy walk to Central Park, restaurants, shopping, and lots of bank machines in the area.
There is a subway stop at 52nd and Lexington to go down to SoHo or Union Square.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators NOT facing the street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tackle
JanetM150, Director of Sales at San Carlos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the San Carlos Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are always happy to read about our guests' experiences. We appreciate the 4 star rating, but hope to have an opportunity to raise your opinion to five star. All reviews are discussed with our staff and we will be sure to address your comments as well.. In regard to your remark stating "No Gym"...I apologize that you were not made aware by our staff that there is actually a well-equipped fitness center on our third floor which is noted on our website, along with pictures. Additionally, we have an ATM machine located in our lobby near the breakfast room. I hope we will have an opportunity to see you back at the San Carlos Hotel in the very near future. If I can be of personal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Janet Materi