“Nice Midtown hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
NE PA
“Nice Midtown hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay last week, I was able to get a last minute room at the same rate my boss had booked in advance. Comfortable room, that enabled me to get a good nights sleep. Also, the bartender in the lounge, Autumn, was a very nice person that made great drinks!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank psupaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Hempstead, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Great lobby to walk into, young hip feel with couches and cool old rock and roll framed pics. Tiny bar. Check in was easy and we had a room on the 15th floor using priceline.com, named own price for $120.00 and this is key because the room goes for about double or more on a Saturday night but what I mean by this is, if you get this hotel for under $180.00 a night, it's worth it, anything over, there are many NYC hotels that are worth the money. Room was adequate, made good use of a small bathroom space and had a nice flat screen and mini bar but the ceiling was all speckled and not painted and the fan coil unit over the bathroom was a bright silver in a complete bluish room that looked ridiculous. Seems like a small thing but it's ugly as sin and your eye is drawn to it. Location is good, subways all around, central to most things, it's above average but not great, 3-3.5 stars is what's it's worth out of 5

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robert R
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I, plus five of our wedding guests stayed in The Hudson off Columbus Circle, an absolute gem of a hotel, I can't express enough how wonderful the place is.

However, we decided for our wedding night we would make a reservation elsewhere to spend time alone etc and were happy to pay that little extra to make it special.

My Wife emailed ahead months in advance to ensure that on the afternoon of our wedding I would be able to check in at 2pm (usually 3pm) to get ready for the big day, and so that I could transfer our luggage over for the morning after.

I arrived in good time at 2:30pm, as our wedding planner arranged for me to be at the wedding destination (Uptown) at 3:00pm. When I approached the desk I was informed that the previous guests had checked out late! And that our room would not be ready for another 45 minutes, I politely explained that this was unfortunately and that I had to be back Uptown at 3pm. I got an apology and was ensured that they would contact house keeping and speed the process up.

30 minutes later. Still no room. I went back to the reception, still calm, explaining that I needed to get changed asap. Front desk made a few calls and managed to get me a single room to get changed in. Excellent! Well, no...because once I got in the lift, the lift wouldn't budge. I tried over and over, got out and tried again but no luck. I went back to the front desk, now in a panic as it was pushing 2:40pm! Front desk became rude, and aggressive stating, "You need to put the key card in the slot!" - I explained that I wasn't informed of this, the card was taken off me and the lady exclaimed, "You'll be surprised we're trying to help, you know!" I ignored this, thanked her and went up to the room.

Once in the room, in a panic, running around, sweating in the heat, I finally jumped in the shower. It was broken. I couldn't control the temperature and scolded my scalp, chest and back in the process! But would could I do? I had to get ready and gone. I accepted it.

Once I was ready, baring in mind it is now 2:50pm! I have to be Uptown in 10 minutes for my wedding, I went back down into the reception and asked about my bags, I was assured it would be moved to my room for my arrival later with my new bride (For the record, it wasn't..after a long day rushing, getting married and a late reception I had to go back down from my room and collect it myself!)

I arrived at my wedding at 3:40 with 20 minutes before my bride arrived...

The Roger almost made me miss my wedding, caused a lot of unwanted stress on a special occasion and caused issues for my planners, minister and guests.

Not impressed in the slightest.

Room Tip: We were in the Penthouse, very nice but obviously pricey.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank cww24
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Overall, the Roger is good if not one of the best values for the $$ hotel, but there were some problems during our 4-day stay, which were more equipment inconveniences than bad service. The air conditioning control wasn't functional, and so it was either on full blast, or off. They would have had to take out the unit to repair it. I didn't feel that there was any effort to do that repair, and I am pretty sure that it will just go on like that for the next inhabitants of the room (1214....). So my advice is to check that the facilities are all working as advertised when you arrive, and get a room change if not. I reported it to both the front desk and the management, but after it couldn't be easily repaired, no further follow up on management's part, even after I reported the situation from their own service repair man. Go figure...

Also, beware that, however convenient it may be to get breakfast on site, the charge is way north of $25 a person. There are really great breakfast places all over the city for much less,

Finally, the standard king deluxe beds and linens are fine and comfy, no problems there, but the king or queen "deluxe" rooms are on the small side, no matter what the square footage they claim.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PeterKussell
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've wanted to try this hotel for a while, but could never get a good deal. I found one on hotel tonight this past weekend, so I finally got a chance. I was not disappointed.

The staff was very friendly and efficient. Although we knew the area a bit, the doorman was able to let us know which local bars served late night food. The lobby was modern and clean. I especially liked the photographs of central park throughout. And the small details like antique phones, or benches by the elevators while you wait.

While the rooms were spacious, we were stuck with a queen size bed (still very comfortable). I suspect that's what you get when you book last minute with a discount site. The showers were amazing; great pressue and space.

I would highly recommend this hotel to someone staying for a night or two. It may be a bit pricey for a longer trip.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor 1508, minus the penthouse, and didn't have a view. I am not sure if ano...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jlg454nyu
Asheville, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

A quiet room in New York with nice bedding and towels...what more could you ask. We stayed here for a wedding (and received a group rate, thank you!) in May. We were happy with the location...a short walk to the Subway (the train, not the sandwich shop) and Starbucks. Easy to walk to Grand Central Station, Times Square, the Empire State Building. The only thing that went wrong...I called for a new hair dryer mid-day on Saturday...and it was NEVER delivered. That should not happen in a hotel like this.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AshevilleTourists
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week in April to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The staff were very pleasant and always helpful. The decor is very pleasing and although a fairly small hotel it had plenty of seating for you to have a drink and watch the world go by. This was particularly pleasant during the complimentary wine hour every day. The room was a fair size with a view of the Empire State Building. The bathroom was small but adequate. Everything was clean. Beware that all the food and drink in the room must be paid for. The hotel is in an excellent position for all the sites. One block down and two across from the Empire State Building. One block from the subway. We managed to walk to most attractions, only using the subway to get to the financial district.

Room Tip: Our room was a corner room on the top floor which meant it was quiet but with a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple