“Cozy but a little cramped”
Review of The Roger

The Roger
Ranked #151 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Cozy but a little cramped”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Quaint, cozy, charming easily describe this boutique hotel in Murray Hill. However, these lovely adjectives are the polite way to say small & slightly cramped. To be perfectly honest, I did not spend much time in the hotel apart from sleeping and I've stayed in much smaller rooms in Manhattan for a similar price. The beds were very comfortable & the design classic. We booked through a third party website, and all the previous reviews about "hidden" fees proved true at checkout. Nothing outlandish, but mostly an annoyance.
My main issue with the hotel was their elevator system. For a tall hotel, the elevators are tiny & move at a pretty slow pace. Not to mention, they're often tied up with the service staff. Every single staff member we encountered were incredibly polite and friendly. Unfortunately, this is a pretty fundamental issue that most likely cannot be remedied, but good to know going in. We were not the only guests to make a comment while waiting for the elevator.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Washington,Dc
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed for four days at the end of May 2013. We found the serviceto be great, the staff also friendly and most helpful. Our room was a good size with lots of space . Great view of Madison Ave. had a corner room on the 4th level but heard no street noise. Bathroom was also most comfortable and roomey.It's an ideal location close to sights and two blocks to the subway.Recently renovated in a sleek modern yet comfortable appearance as are the rooms. We had a great time and plan to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger bed or king and got whats called a deluxe room. Spacious. Corner room was very nice...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrdesign
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very pretty. The staff was great and very helpful. The room was very nice and so was the bathroom but the bathroom was pretty small. It was a little difficult getting ready in the morning but not so bad that I would not stay there again. I really enjoyed the hotel and would choose The Roger the next time I'm in New York.

London
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I arrived at 10pm to be informed that my room wasn't ready however if I could wait 20 minutes and have a cocktail on the house I would be upgraded to a Terrace suite. Whilst I was waiting two members of staff sorted out the wifi connections for my ipad and laptop. The Terrace suite was large but the terrace was huge although the view was of the surrounding buildings. I spent some time having business meetings in the lobby and mezzanine area which whilst small were perfect. The front desk staff were helpful to requests and the guys on the door found taxis and offered umbrellas when needed. I will return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, England
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The Roger is newish and close to where I usually stay, the Giraffe, which is the ideal
New York hotel. Two big problems. Despite being told
I would have a complimentary upgrade, I didn't get one which is fine but the room was absolutely tiny. Even for new York. I could just do a push up if I moved the furniture. Second, the air conditioning is the loudest I have heard, a clicking, wooshing nightmare. All this for
350 bucks. Beware.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The position is really good, you will be close all you have to visit. At the same time though, for the money we paid, you can definitely get something better. The room was not so big and the bathroom really small.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Roger for a week whilst in New York. Great location-midtown east, close enough for many things, but in a slightly quieter location and with a subway station around the block. The hotel itself was only okay - rooms were dark and small (which was to be expected as it is NYC!). My husband and I both found the room dusty and set our allergies off?! As a previous reviewer said, we could hear lots of door banging, floorboards creaking and other people's televisions. The lifts were slow and shared by the chamber maids who were always pleasant but made no effort to keep the noise down in the corridors. The shower screen was insufficient and left the bathroom floor soaked daily and it took about 5 minutes to bring hot water through the shower which was a waste of water every day!
Upon checkout, expect to pay their additional fee (as has been mentioned on here many times, therefore was of no surprise to us - there was always a decent wifi connection) However, what was a surprise to us, was the alcoholic drink from their bar that they tried to charge us with at checkout, despite us not even have visited their bar! This was quickly removed but no apology made.
All in all, an okay hotel as we did not spend much time here, a great location, however would probably find somewhere else to stay next time.

Liza L, General Manager at The Roger, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Chouby

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the noise complaints and the dusty room.
I assure you that this experience is not indicative of the service philosophy we champion at The Roger. I am truly sorry. We would love to have you back at the Roger during your next trip to New York. I will personally make sure that everything is up to your expectation.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 1 (212) 448-7000.

P. Horstmann