“Cool Atmosphere, Super Clean”
Review of The Roger

The Roger
Ranked #133 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the night we got married. We're born and raised in New York City and that's where we got married but we wanted to do something more than just going home to our apartment on our wedding night so we stayed here. Good choice!

The room was gorgeous and very clean. They had champagne for us and a nice note congratulating us on getting married, which we thought was sweet. We really liked our room and wish we could have experienced it more! We were just there for the night but we really enjoyed it.

I mean, it's a New York City hotel so it's definitely not cheap. They had really expensive toiletries "for sale" in the bathroom like q-tips and toothpaste, which I thought was a little much but we didn't need anything so it didn't really matter.

The hotel lobby is really cool, filled with lots of cool photos of the New York music scene.

All around, a nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,227)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

From start to finish the staff goes above and beyond. By far the most accommodating hotel staff I have encountered. They refer to you by name. Rooms were modern and spacious. The decor was trendy but classy. Would go back in a heartbeat and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank JRpascal
Reviewed January 2, 2013

A boutique hotel, by that I mean small rooms. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, but the bathroom was very small and a bit uncomfortable. The sink in the bathroom is small about 12 inch in diameter, every time you take a shower the bathroom gets flooded.
The light in the room was very poor.
For the price is a great hotel to stay!

Room Tip: We had a room with a terrace that you can enjoy when the weather is appropiate.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LilianaEmilio
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at the Roger earlier this month, and having read mixed reviews I was hopeful for something great, but also worried that I was going to be disappointed. However when my mother and I arrived at the hotel, I was completely blown away by how friendly everyone was, the amazing lobby and mezzanine Parlour restaurant. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, so management gave us a drink voucher to enjoy in lobby while we waited. Krystal was incredibly friendly and professional as our room was still unavailable after a little while - once we got in, I was so happy with our decision to book an executive room. The room was large, very clean, huge bed, desk and chair, tv. The bathroom was also great, and a decent size. I've seen some complaints about counter space - but the amount of products my mother and I had we didn't have a problem with this at all! I've also seen complaints about paying for the products, however it didn't bother us at all. My understanding is that you only pay for the product if you actually take it - so the umbrella you can use, but if you take it or lose it, then you pay for it. Otherwise the C.O. Bigelow bodywash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion etc. are complimentary. Chocolates, chips, water bottles you pay for - and they're expensive in any hotel - anyway, you're in NYC so you can just pop out and grab something around the corner! The location of the hotel was also great, a short walk to NYC Library, Grand Central Terminal, ESB, Flat Iron, Madison Sq Park - as well as only a few minutes from the subway (33rd street). Overall, I was so impressed with The Roger, especially the staff, and will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Our corner room was a great size!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This pretty, comfortable, moderately priced boutique hotel on Madison Ave. is within walking distance to everything Midtown. The rooms are beautiful, and fairly spacious for a NYC hotel...although the bathrooms are tiny. The most memorable part of our stay here, however, was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. They may be well trained, but I think they just happen to hire really nice, intelligent people! I have to say that I was wowed by my room...a Superior King...not the top end of their room selections...but I couldn't have asked for more.
(One hint...DON'T eat the snacks or drink the bottled water...ridiculously expensive. Head to the nearest shop and stock up. BTW...NYC tap water is great! No need for bottled!) The goods WAY outweighed the bad (which were negligible). All in all, I will be back...without a doubt!!

Room Tip: I only saw 2 of the rooms...one of them considered an upgrade. Other than the fact that the more ex...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I work with a non profit organization called Opera Singers Initiative and we were looking for a venue for 100 people for our holiday party. Lynda (Food and Beverage manager) and her fantastic team took care of all the details and were very enjoyable and easy to work with. Our guests loved the hotel and the decor / service / food / drinks / dessert were all top notch! I would highly recommend this elegant venue for your travels. Definitely the most underrated hotel in the area!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at the Roger in a queen terrace room for 4 nights in December with my boyfriend.
The pros -
We were pleasantly surprised with the room. It was very well laid out with modern decor, and also extremely clean. The view of the Empire State building was a nice bonus too. As it was December, we didn't spend much time on the terrace, but it was nice to have the option to nip out for air and to take in the view and sounds of the city.
We had dessert and cocktails on two nights, and these were all delicous but pricey.

The cons -
The bathroom was very small, but as we spent little time in the room anyway, this was not a major issue.
We did not use aircon overnight, and found that the room became very stuffy without it.
Also, watch carefully for extra charges! We had breakfast included as part of our package deal but it appeared on our bill at checkout for the full four days, coming to over $200!
Considering the price of the room, my boyfriend was also disgusted with their charges for the little extras left in the room, like the toiletries which are normally free, and had a big scoff at the $70+ bathrobe (of which there was only one left to use in our room). You do however get lovely Bigelow shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in the shower.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple