“Very happy with this hotel!”
Review of The Roger

The Roger
Ranked #145 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Argentina
“Very happy with this hotel!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The 2 nights stay here were great!
Clean, modern, comfortable.
Close to the metro station. It has a refrigerator. Many candies and beverages to consume, although expensive.
Sleeping quality was amazing, the attention perfect. I arrived early and was able to change clothes in a big bathroom they have in the lobby.
I also sent some packages bought through internet and received them perfectly.
It's very close to the Empire State Building.
I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank f_mariano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here for over a week on business. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I was on a high floor, so the street noise wasn't really an issue. The staff was very helpful without being overbearing. I appreciated the gym and wi-fi, as well as the laptops available in the lobby for printing documents (extremely useful for business travelers). The location is also excellent, close to many subway lines and plenty of places to eat nearby.

I didn't try the breakfast, so no comment there. My main piece of constructive feedback: It would be great to provide coffee making equipment in the room (either a water kettle or mini coffee maker) so that there is no need to leave to have a cup of coffee. Other than that, no real complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank makeittso
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

The roger is just ok. The staff had that nyc standoffishness which wasn't a big deal since one expects it in nyc. The room was smallish and the ac makes a lot of noise. The bathroom was my main issue. There was no where to place toiletries and the lighting was horrible. The top of the toilet was filled with stuff they were trying to sell you in case you forgot something. Pretty tacky. Also there were no towel racks or hooks. The towels hung on the handicap rails next to the toilet. where would a handicap person put the towels if they needed to use the rails?
As per usual in nyc, there were no coffee makers in the rooms, but for $25 you could eat breakfast there.
On the plus side, it's very quiet.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank fundog
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great hotel - recently updated. Room was spacious and clean - couldn't really fault it. Staff were all friendly, but not overly - which i prefer. Close to metro, and walking distance (if you like walking - about 30 mins) to central park etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Emma H
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

3 night stay on business, I will give the positives...the room was spotless, bed was very comfortable, bathroom clean and well serviced. Breakfast in the restaurant was nice with a good variety of menu to choose from. Now the negatives, TV picture poor on many channels, in 3 nights I had to replace my room key 4 times !!! on each occasion I was told to keep it away from magnets !!! duh this I took to mean my cell phone which I duly did (after the first time !!) and yet it failed 3 more times. The previous negatives I would never mention in a Hotel where I was being charged a reasonable rate, but NOT here, here I would expect these items to be non existant given the rate I paid. However my biggest disapointment occured at the Front desk, to explain during the week it became apparent I had to stay an extra night (4 in total) I informed the Front Desk the previous day, they said they required confirmation from the Company I was working for (who made the booking) I queried this as I was paying for stay it was my Credit Card that would be paying the bill ??? but to no avail they required confirmation. I duly requested same from the project company and all would be OK......wrong ! Following morning (early) I decided to check that all was OK and that confirmation was recieved......wrong. I was informed that they had me down to check out that day, I again pointed out I had informed them previous day, and it was myself paying... etc. to be told the following "well from where I'm standing, we're full tonight and cannot accomodate you !!!!!!" I proceeded in front of this lady to book another hotel on Madison Ave I had stayed at previously. Note: bear in mind I was now late for my Business appointment that morning as I now had to pack and check out !! I secured a room at the next Hotel and returned having packed to this same lady, to be asked "Checking Out ??" I did not reply to this, the look I think said it all, but here's the kicker......her next action was the best "Ok let me look (glance at computer).....good news actually we can extend your stay" The booking I had made at the other Hotel had a cancellation fee so NO THANKS. This is a busy expensive Hotel that does not meet the basic criteria to charge what they do, other than maybe it's in NY.....however given the Hotel choice in Manhatten, it's just simply not good enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TriggerMLR
Liza L, General Manager at The Roger, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear TriggerMLR.
Thank you for your good feedback about the Roger. In regards to your Front Office Experience, I would like to talk to you, so I can find out more details on what went wrong. We do pride ourselves on our service at The Roger and it is very disappointing for me to know that you did not leave happy.
Please contact me directly at (212) 448-7000
Kindest Regards
Patrick Horstmann
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Just wrote a huge review but it got deleted. Grr. Bottom line- the hotel is lovely!! They gave us champagne when we checked in! The decor is chic and lovely. Yes rooms are small- but aren't they all in NYC? I loved that instead of mini bottles of shampoo they had big pumps mounted in the shower. And breakfast was delicious (better than the typical hotel buffet- even had smoked salmon and prosciutto!)- but not included, which we didn't know until AFTER eating. $19pp isnt bad from brunch in NYC, but is certainly not free like we thought. And the $20 "fee" is annoying. Either raise the rates or make the fee optional. We didn't use wifi or the gym, and it didn't include breakfast, so that was frustrating. I did know about it in advance- but only from these reviews. Otherwise it would have been a nasty surprise bc they did NOT mention it at checkin. And the mini bar/snacks/bathroom amenities were expensive- but I'm seeing that more and more these days and it's certainly not unique to the Roger.

Oh! And the stationary in the desk is adorable!!

We got a discounted rate of $239 bc we were there for a wedding. I would have expected a hotel this nice to cost more. But after all fees/taxes our 2 nt stay was >$600 which was not great.

But that's my only gripe. It's a lovely hotel with very nice people in a great location. Just ended up costing a good bit more than I'd expected.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Alexis M
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked a room through a secret sale on Quikbook and was very pleased. The hotel lobby is very swanky and I really enjoyed the modern decor in the rooms. My room was on the third floor overlooking 31st Street (I did not have any problems with street noise...the a/c was a bit loud but I'd rather have a cool room and get over the sound). I was on my own in a room with a king bed (two nights) and it was plenty of room for me. I think it would be just fine for two people as well. The bathroom is on the small side but I'm not sure why you would need much more space. There was plenty of room on the vanity to put make-up, etc. while getting ready. The hotel provides water and snacks in the room (but be careful of the price tags). Some of the reviews I read prior to my arrival talked about a fee for wireless, fitness center, etc but I was not charged anything beyond what I paid on Quikbook. It's a nice location within walking distance of several subway lines so you can get anywhere. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. I visit New York several times a year to see friends from college and The Roger will definitely be on my list of hotel options in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo