“Great hotel, but extra fees”
Review of The Roger

The Roger
Ranked #151 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newport, Rhode Island
“Great hotel, but extra fees”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Just wrote a huge review but it got deleted. Grr. Bottom line- the hotel is lovely!! They gave us champagne when we checked in! The decor is chic and lovely. Yes rooms are small- but aren't they all in NYC? I loved that instead of mini bottles of shampoo they had big pumps mounted in the shower. And breakfast was delicious (better than the typical hotel buffet- even had smoked salmon and prosciutto!)- but not included, which we didn't know until AFTER eating. $19pp isnt bad from brunch in NYC, but is certainly not free like we thought. And the $20 "fee" is annoying. Either raise the rates or make the fee optional. We didn't use wifi or the gym, and it didn't include breakfast, so that was frustrating. I did know about it in advance- but only from these reviews. Otherwise it would have been a nasty surprise bc they did NOT mention it at checkin. And the mini bar/snacks/bathroom amenities were expensive- but I'm seeing that more and more these days and it's certainly not unique to the Roger.

Oh! And the stationary in the desk is adorable!!

We got a discounted rate of $239 bc we were there for a wedding. I would have expected a hotel this nice to cost more. But after all fees/taxes our 2 nt stay was >$600 which was not great.

But that's my only gripe. It's a lovely hotel with very nice people in a great location. Just ended up costing a good bit more than I'd expected.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Alexis M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked a room through a secret sale on Quikbook and was very pleased. The hotel lobby is very swanky and I really enjoyed the modern decor in the rooms. My room was on the third floor overlooking 31st Street (I did not have any problems with street noise...the a/c was a bit loud but I'd rather have a cool room and get over the sound). I was on my own in a room with a king bed (two nights) and it was plenty of room for me. I think it would be just fine for two people as well. The bathroom is on the small side but I'm not sure why you would need much more space. There was plenty of room on the vanity to put make-up, etc. while getting ready. The hotel provides water and snacks in the room (but be careful of the price tags). Some of the reviews I read prior to my arrival talked about a fee for wireless, fitness center, etc but I was not charged anything beyond what I paid on Quikbook. It's a nice location within walking distance of several subway lines so you can get anywhere. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. I visit New York several times a year to see friends from college and The Roger will definitely be on my list of hotel options in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Natalie V
Connecticut
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Roger is a well-located hotel with a very hip and chic design which makes staying in the middle of Manhattan very stylish. From the reclaimed wood floors in the lobby to the designer style in the rooms, this is a very nice choice for couples looking to get away for a quick stay in the city.
The room was very quiet and clean, and all new feeling. I was actually surprised at how quiet the room was with no street noise and very little hallway noise.
I would not say it was particularly great for families as the room (we had a king room) is very small and the bathroom is a postage-stamp. If there were more than 2 people in the room, there would be no room to breathe let alone move. For example, the flat screen tv is mounted to the wall and you practically have to brush against it to walk by the end of the bed. We are used to NY apartments and hotels, but this was small even by those standards.
Other than that, you are not visiting Manhattan to stay in the room, so book a room in this very nice hotel and get out and see the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WineGuroo
miami, fl
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

My husband & I stayed at The Roger with our 4 month old for 4 nights. The employees were extremely nice. The rooms were small but very clean & with really pretty decor. I was able to use their small fridge for my sons milk. location was great, pretty much walked everywhere, the train is pretty close walking distance. Used room service a couple of time, pricey but food was pretty good. As for the feed everyone has been complaining about, as far as I know don't all hotels charge this? What's new? All hotels I've been to anyways have service fees. I paid through Priceline & I was told from the beggining I will be charged this, so no surprise for me. After all my stay at this hotel was great, will deffenitley stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank dreksfreks
Cortlandt Manor

This review for Parlour Lounge restaurant only

Chose this small almost intimate hotel restaurant for a business lunch, party of 4

Delightful food, modest prices (by NY standards), fresh ingredients, full bar, and attentive service. Simple menu with something for everyone.

Parlour Lounge Restaurant is a nice find for a quiet conversation in the The Roger Hotel, second floor.

Tip: Unsuitable for groups larger than four people.

Will most definitely return.

Room Tip: Check out the Parlour Lounge Restaurant
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
london
Reviewed September 21, 2012

In a city full of every type of hotel imaginable this is a small boutique hotel which is truly personable and offers great service. The beds are probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in any where in the world (with the exception of the Sheraton). The design is modern, eclectic and cheerful, and everything is efficiently thought through. However, the bathrooms are very small which I hate and the bath was in my mind a violation of trade descriptions being called a 'bath' being less than three feet long. You needed to be a contortionist (or Houdini) to use it. The breakfast was very expensive for what it was and the scrambled eggs were overcooked and dry. I'd still stay there again for such a great night's sleep.

Room Tip: Be careful about the size of bathroom
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Surrey, UK
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised to arrive at this very nice boutique hotel. Appearance on arrival is chic, well renovated and staff very good and we found them to be helpful. Security seemed to be good to. Didn't have any food there, but afternoon cuppa was always nice. We stayed over Labour Day weekend and found it quite busy but that didn't effecr us at all. Plenty of good restaurants close by.

Room Tip: A room away from the elevator was good!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple