“Poor service!”

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #113 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 3, 2013

First hotel I tried to stay at where I was told by the cashier to go call 725 to book a room instead of booking at front desk. While on phone I was asked all personal information. Why couldn't this be done at the desk? No government discounts either. Dirty room. Room out dated. Hasn't been touched since the 70's. Roger Smith Hotel. New York.

• Stayed: November 2013
There are newer reviews for Roger Smith Hotel

Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was our first trip to NYC so we decided to do a group tour. This hotel has been used many times by this tour group and was selected based on the reasonable price, great staff and location. Our biggest complaint (same as other reviewers) was the inability to control the temperature in the room. According to the maintenance man, the heat cannot be turned completely off or controlled in each room and it was way too warm. Opening the windows was the only way to cool it down but then the street noise was bothersome - but we managed.

The location is wonderful and central to just about everything. We walked to restaurants, Grand Central Terminal, museums, shops, etc. Rooms are very clean, beds are comfortable and the hotel staff is friendly and accommodating. The best way to describe the hotel is "quaint". It certainly shows it's age and could use a little face-lift but it would lose a bit of its charm.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Lexington avenue are noisy but it's fun to watch the activity on the street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Curly,

Its so wonderful to know that we were part of great memories during your very first trip to New York City.

There are so many places to visit in this great city, and one visit may not have been enough to experience it all. We hope to accommodate you and be your home away from home if you should make a return visit. Feel free to reach out to me to discuss future preferences or requests and ill be sure to make it special with each stay.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

From the moment we walked through the doors (check out the door handles) we were impressed by the friendliness of the staff who made us feel right at home. The room was clean, nicely appointed, and comfortable with the feel of a country inn. Interesting sculpture and paintings adorn the lobby and halls. The Roger Smith is our first choice when we come to New York.

• Stayed: November 2013
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear ADK46R_4631W,

Fantastic! Its immensely rewarding to read about all the details that made your stay so wonderful!

Looking forward to welcoming you on your return visit.

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I gave this hotel two stars for the location and because it was clean, but at 230 per night - not worth it.

The room overlooked Lexington Ave on the 4th floor and has a window A/C unit. I could hear every honk, even conversations, going by all night.

The sound on the TV was broken and never fixed. I requested a wine opener and they couldn't produce one. One of the two beds in my room has a broken headboard that is just hanging off the bed. The entire room smelled like cooking meat during dinner due to a nearby restaurant.

It was about 50-100 less than other nearby hotels and I didn't expect perfection. But I can't recommend this place.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Ambuws29,

I am truly sorry you experienced such lapse in service during your most recent stay with us. Our staff takes immense pride in pleasing our guests and I’m disappointed that you experienced otherwise; however we welcome your feedback, as it helps us to make improvements. If you can provide me with more information on the room you stayed in, I will address all of your points with respective departments and I can assure you that if given a second opportunity, I will personally ensure that you’re stay is nothing less than memorable.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Marlenny

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I spent just three nights here and must say that next time I am in NYC I will head straight back.

Ok it doesn't have a huge luxurious lobby with staff fawning over you but I never sit in hotel lobbies anyways.

What it does have is staff with a terrific dry sense of humour and that suits me, not everyone but I loved them.

The rooms are great if a little quirky but if I had been tired and miserable then figuring out how the lamps worked would have been frustrating.

Another great point was the windows open more than an inch.

Down side was the lack of any restaurant in the hotel for breakfast but there are so many nearby it's not a problem really and with free yoghurt and granola that was breakfast sorted for me. Fresh brewed coffee machine in room too.

If New York cannot keep you interested the room was equipped with a DVD player and some books.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank SteveBMidlands_UK
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel a few times. This time we arrived in the evening and the first room we were given, in spite of requesting no surprises like large a/c units outside the windows, had just that. And they were very noisy too. The other window had a solid burglar bar over it. We were changed to another room, an upgrade at an extra cost, and this room turned out to have a non-working a/c on a warm night, the mattress was very soft and noisy, and lamp came on in the middle of the night. Sofia at the front desk upgraded us the next day to a much better room that had been renovated and was much fresher. There is a club right next to the hotel and Sat. night could not have been noisier, with kids yelling and screaming until past 3 a.m. So, if you don't mind the noise from the traffic (it is NYC) plus the club patrons' noise, and if you check out your room before you settle in, everything else is good. And Sofia is an asset to the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid being over the club on Lexington - ask for a room on 47th. Check out the room first.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

When we go to New York, Roger Smith is always the first choice. The location is excellent, attention is great and the price is pretty good considering it is New York as well as the two preceding factors, attention and location. It is not a new building, so don´t expect new rooms, but the rooms are well taken care of, and they are quite comfortable. The location allows you to walk pretty much anywhere, as well as easily and quickly catching a cab.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business