“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were looking for a suite hotel that could accomodate 3 moms and 3 teenaged daughters - this was the perfect hotel!! We booked the deluxe suite and had plenty of room. Great hotel, comfy beds (although the sofa bed was pretty saggy - but they ususally are...), free yogurt and granola to start your day! Very helpful, friendly staff. And very accommodating. Our room was ready early on the first day which got our vacation off to a great start. Loved this hotel - will definitely be back. Was like an old-fashioned boarding house but quieter and with very comfortable beds. Great value for the money, especially in NYC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We arrived earlier than check in time for our two night stay. Rather than being told that we had to wait, we were offered a two room junior suite, which of course we accepted. It was more like an apartment than a hotel room. While some of the furniture could use some refurbishing, it was comfortable and the rooms were spacious. The restaurant was closed so there was complimentary yogurt, fruit and cereal available in the lobby. Given the high prices for a hotel room in NYC, this is a repeat and a great deal, perhaps even without the suite update! Book it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
South Jordan, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

upon arriving at the Roger Smith Hotel I was immediately met by the front desk clerk. He promptly and happily checked me into my room. I was exhausted after my flight and just wanted to get settled so I appreciated the fast check-in.

I went up to my room, opened the door, and I LITERALLY dropped my bags. I apparently had been upgraded to a BEAUTIFUL suite. I walked in and was in awe at the spacious living room area that included a fireplace, dining room table, sitting area, small library, and a writing desk. I proceeded down the hallway (after I picked my jaw up off the ground from the pure shock of how BIG this suite is) and was met with a kitchenette, bathroom and guestroom. At the end of the hall was another large room, the master bedroom. I do not feel like I'm in a NYC hotel in this place! This suite is bigger than my old apartment in Queens!

I went out for some dinner and upon returning I got a great suggestion from the front desk about where to get quality canolis from local bakeries. Everyone was so helpful and I felt like they genuinely cared about helping me, which is a rarity anywhere in today's world, and especially in New York.

I will be raving about this place for a while. The vintage and quaint nature of the whole hotel is very charming and inviting. I feel like an old fashion movie star staying here and I think I will stay here everytime I travel to New York from now on!

Room Tip: corner suites are AMAZING request one and pay the extra. I guarantee they are worth the extra cost...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Natalie V,

Thank you kindly for taking time to post your review. Our team truly goes the extra mile, identifying and anticipating our guest’s needs. We understand that long travels can be quite exhausting and I’m glad that you appreciated the early check-in and courtesy complimentary upgrade. I’m sure this made your stay the more enjoyable. I have been part of the Roger Smith family since 2006 and had the same “jaw dropping” reaction the first time I walked in to our suites; incredibly spacious!

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Bath UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Always wanted to stay here, ended up meeting a friend in the city after he finished a big trip so we booked ourselves one night to see what it was like. I arrived hours before him and although the room was in his name they were happy to let me check my bags, which I appreciated. It's very close to Grand Central Station, just cut through the food market onto Lexington and you can see the hotel name across the road and up a couple of hundred yards. Our room was huge by New York standards and the bathroom clean and well equipped. There is no restaurant on site, but it's New York! There are plenty of places to eat around. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Zhoecjm,

Thank you for your review. I'm delighted you had the opportunity to experience our spacious and individually decorated rooms. Our guests are our #1 priority and we thrive in providing superb service; glad we were able to accommodate your early arrival.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here with a friend one night when I was returning from a business trip in Romania. I wanted to spend a night in the city and so we decided to wing it and just see what we could get a good deal on. For the price i think we paid maybe 160total with parking; it wasn't bad at all. The location is actually really good. I think some of these pictures are misleading our room was far from the nice upgraded look that some of these rooms are but it wasn't bad. For NYC and in that location I think we made out pretty well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear AMK3000,

Thank you for your review. We are currently renovating several rooms and our hotel is at this time, a potpourri of newly upgraded rooms and well maintained classical New York accommodations.

We hope that you will return to us one again so that we may have the pleasure of accommodatng you in a one of our more recently renovated rooms.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the last few years. The service is always excellent, the rooms clean and well appointed and for the price, it is hard to beat this place in Manhattan. It's an easy place to recommend. To bad they close Lily's Diner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fed S,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Roger Smith a second time, we deeply appreciate it. Although we have closed Lily's, there are still plenty of great restaurants in the area, where you may enjoy the cuisine of your choice.

Be sure to reach out to me directly on your return and Ill ensure to accommodate you on the 15th floor which you have expressed to be your preference

See you soon.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

A bit old and a bit in need of some upgrading. But at times it is the most affordable hotel in midtown, so that makes it a place to consider. Good location, near a lot of restaurants and bars. Just a few blocks from Rockefeller center and walkable to Times Square.

Stayed September 2012
Dear Djh5723,

Thank you for your review. We are currently updating several rooms, freshening up our hotel while keeping the homey charm, which we are know for.

We hope to see you with us next time you make it over from Chicago!