“Great Value and Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #145 of 477 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Value and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We arrived earlier than check in time for our two night stay. Rather than being told that we had to wait, we were offered a two room junior suite, which of course we accepted. It was more like an apartment than a hotel room. While some of the furniture could use some refurbishing, it was comfortable and the rooms were spacious. The restaurant was closed so there was complimentary yogurt, fruit and cereal available in the lobby. Given the high prices for a hotel room in NYC, this is a repeat and a great deal, perhaps even without the suite update! Book it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Turkish first
South Jordan, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

upon arriving at the Roger Smith Hotel I was immediately met by the front desk clerk. He promptly and happily checked me into my room. I was exhausted after my flight and just wanted to get settled so I appreciated the fast check-in.

I went up to my room, opened the door, and I LITERALLY dropped my bags. I apparently had been upgraded to a BEAUTIFUL suite. I walked in and was in awe at the spacious living room area that included a fireplace, dining room table, sitting area, small library, and a writing desk. I proceeded down the hallway (after I picked my jaw up off the ground from the pure shock of how BIG this suite is) and was met with a kitchenette, bathroom and guestroom. At the end of the hall was another large room, the master bedroom. I do not feel like I'm in a NYC hotel in this place! This suite is bigger than my old apartment in Queens!

I went out for some dinner and upon returning I got a great suggestion from the front desk about where to get quality canolis from local bakeries. Everyone was so helpful and I felt like they genuinely cared about helping me, which is a rarity anywhere in today's world, and especially in New York.

I will be raving about this place for a while. The vintage and quaint nature of the whole hotel is very charming and inviting. I feel like an old fashion movie star staying here and I think I will stay here everytime I travel to New York from now on!

Room Tip: corner suites are AMAZING request one and pay the extra. I guarantee they are worth the extra cost...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Natalie V,

Thank you kindly for taking time to post your review. Our team truly goes the extra mile, identifying and anticipating our guest’s needs. We understand that long travels can be quite exhausting and I’m glad that you appreciated the early check-in and courtesy complimentary upgrade. I’m sure this made your stay the more enjoyable. I have been part of the Roger Smith family since 2006 and had the same “jaw dropping” reaction the first time I walked in to our suites; incredibly spacious!

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Bath UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Always wanted to stay here, ended up meeting a friend in the city after he finished a big trip so we booked ourselves one night to see what it was like. I arrived hours before him and although the room was in his name they were happy to let me check my bags, which I appreciated. It's very close to Grand Central Station, just cut through the food market onto Lexington and you can see the hotel name across the road and up a couple of hundred yards. Our room was huge by New York standards and the bathroom clean and well equipped. There is no restaurant on site, but it's New York! There are plenty of places to eat around. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Zhoecjm,

Thank you for your review. I'm delighted you had the opportunity to experience our spacious and individually decorated rooms. Our guests are our #1 priority and we thrive in providing superb service; glad we were able to accommodate your early arrival.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here with a friend one night when I was returning from a business trip in Romania. I wanted to spend a night in the city and so we decided to wing it and just see what we could get a good deal on. For the price i think we paid maybe 160total with parking; it wasn't bad at all. The location is actually really good. I think some of these pictures are misleading our room was far from the nice upgraded look that some of these rooms are but it wasn't bad. For NYC and in that location I think we made out pretty well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear AMK3000,

Thank you for your review. We are currently renovating several rooms and our hotel is at this time, a potpourri of newly upgraded rooms and well maintained classical New York accommodations.

We hope that you will return to us one again so that we may have the pleasure of accommodatng you in a one of our more recently renovated rooms.

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the last few years. The service is always excellent, the rooms clean and well appointed and for the price, it is hard to beat this place in Manhattan. It's an easy place to recommend. To bad they close Lily's Diner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fed S,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Roger Smith a second time, we deeply appreciate it. Although we have closed Lily's, there are still plenty of great restaurants in the area, where you may enjoy the cuisine of your choice.

Be sure to reach out to me directly on your return and Ill ensure to accommodate you on the 15th floor which you have expressed to be your preference

See you soon.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

A bit old and a bit in need of some upgrading. But at times it is the most affordable hotel in midtown, so that makes it a place to consider. Good location, near a lot of restaurants and bars. Just a few blocks from Rockefeller center and walkable to Times Square.

Stayed September 2012
Dear Djh5723,

Thank you for your review. We are currently updating several rooms, freshening up our hotel while keeping the homey charm, which we are know for.

We hope to see you with us next time you make it over from Chicago!

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Roger Smith hotel is conveniently located a few blocks from Grand Central station and from Fifth Avenue. It is a good spot for exploring the city and I especially recommend it for first time visitors. The rooms are large but need renovation. They are individually decorated and that gives you the feeling that you are not really staying in an hotel but in someone´s home which is nice. Beds are good but the sofa beds really need new matresses. The heating system makes the rooms too hot in spring and fall when the temperatures are higher outside and the heating is set for winter. It is a pity that they closed the restaurant. Now you have to get breakfast elsewhere but the fact that the rooms are equipped with a small kitchenette also gives you the option to eat in the room. I just wished they had a water boiler and a toaster to make breakfast easier to prepare. The hotel is also near to the UN and some people have stayed for a longer period attending meetings at the UN.

Room Tip: Some of the lower level rooms give you the added benefit of the smell from the restaurant kitchen ne...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Annikika,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our décor. Our new england décor is something we deeply pride ourselves on individually creating for each room. We are currently renovating several rooms while trying to keep the work small enough no to cause any disturbance for our guests, making the process somewhat prolonged. Since we decided not to keep our restaurant open we do have a list of restaurants, hand picked by our front desk/concierge available at the front desk upon request.

Please do contact me directly to discuss additional comments regarding your room. If you should have specific requests for your retuning visit feel free to communicate with me and we will do our very best to accommodate you.

We hope to see you with us again soon!