“Like Home From Home”

Ranked #346 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Like Home From Home”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I don't much like New York City, never have. But staying at the Inn New York City last week has pretty much brought me around. It was one of the most wonderful, enjoyable and friendly experiences I've ever had in a hotel - and I've had a few!

If what you are looking for is a generic box on the 33rd floor with a trouser-press, this is not for you. But if your ideal is staying in a hotel that feels more like a mate leant you his/her apartment for a week, then you should seriously consider the exceptional Inn New York City.

I arrived late at night and couldn't quite believe what faced me. A normal brownstone terraced house on the Upper West Side, not far from the Park. My "room" had its own street entrance and was in fact a basement suite, (they have some that aren't underground, if basements aren't your thing), of sitting room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom. Small but exquisitely furnished with very personal items - books, antique lamps, pictures, music... It was beautifully warm, (it was minus 10C outside!), cosy and above all friendly. It really felt like I had moved into someone else's lovely house.

The taste might not be exactly to your liking but at least it IS done with taste. There's a real personality here, a world away from the anonymous, identikit cubicles one usually associates with foreign urban travel.

But that's only part of it. The owner lives on the premises. In a completely unobtrusive way, she is ready and determined to ensure that everything you need is provided for. The rooms are equipped with your own personal outside phone line. Fresh food and fruit and water are placed in the room on a daily basis. Servicing of the room is at your convenience, not theirs. Elyn is keen to know what you would like so she can provide it. And all at no extra charge. No credit card is swiped on arrival and, at least in my case, absolutely no charge was made for any extras provided - food, drink, phone. All part of the extremely thoughtful service. Truly, I have never known anything like it.

Elyn tells me she has been providing this service quietly for 20 years. Part of me wants to keep this to myself so it's there if I need it in the future. But that wouldn't be fair. I've stayed in hotels in all corners of the world and this experience stands out. It's only fair to share it.

Room Tip: Look at the website. They all have different characters, I believe.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank kosmo126

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our stay was over the Dec. 13th weekend. We so enjoyed the two floors of the Vermont suite, charmingly decorated and so warm and comfortable. It was a relief not to have to go out for breakfast on a snowy morning. The breakfast treats and snacks were just right in the privacy of our suite. We have a new place to stay when we visit NYC! Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CapeMayLover309
FLA.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

For the eighth time we went "home" to our home away from home in NYC and stayed at the "Inn", After all this time, it doesn't seem possible that something that you've done so many times before can still continue to WOW you. But, the Inn in NYC does just that. From the minute you arrive you feel like royalty. Your suite is always prepared flawlessly, and if you are lucky enough to be a return visitor, they remember what your favorite treats are and have them for you. The attention to detail each and every day is amazing. More accommodating the staff and owners could not be. The beauty, cleanliness and pure elegance coupled with such a warmth is a truly remarkable combination. As you can tell, no matter how many times my husband and I stay there, we always feel at a loss in conveying how wonderful it really is. Everyone should be treated the way Ruth and Ellen (plus their amazing staff) treat each guest. A more wonderful place to stay in NY - I think not. Looking forward to this year's stay - we're already booked!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Dear Elyn Mensch & Robin,

Just wanted to say how much we enjoyed our stay with you last week.

The Opera Suite was classically chic, frozen in time, preserving an elegance missing from today busy lives and transporting occupants back into an era of gentle tranquillity.

The only thing that surpassed the suite was the lovely dedication you all took in looking after us all, each and every encounter.....nothing was ever too much trouble.... From the urgent dentist to the hairdresser to the special sheets to the airport transports & music room bookings, it was all done so wonderfully and caringly.

The treats that were delivered each night for turn down service we a special delight to come back to each evening as was the manner in which you engaged with us all.

We will definitely be recommending you to all our friends when they stay in NYC. We lived here for 2 years and never encountered the hospitality and friendliness that you all displayed....you are all truly a unique oasis of tranquillity, calm and caring in the sea of the best city in the
world that could learn a lot from your approach to life.

Keep well all of you until we meet again.

Yours Sincerely
Angela, Michael & Daniel

Room Tip: The internet is accurate,,,,or just ask !
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MichaelTauber123
Crofton, Maryland
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We searched and searched for the perfect NYC getaway hotel for our 15yr anniversary and hit the jackpot. This luxurious Inn was exactly what we were looking for, and more. Intimate and quiet, beautiful and private, convenient and practical. We saw almost noone the entire time. For the three nights and four days we stayed we saw the caretaker once at check-in and the housekeeper twice- once in passing and once at checkout. We never saw or heard one guest, which was so cool- really made the experience seem private and homey. We chose the romantic spa room. The decor was beautiful, tons of hardwood and vintage pieces without being stuffy and musty (I have allergies to dust and mold and had zero trouble). There was an extremely comfortable kingsized bed and the spa room itself was beautiful, enjoyable and relaxing. They provided us with delicious cakes and pastries, snacks and nuts, juices, wine, coffee and sodas every day and had a full kitchen and accessories in the kitchen. There was never a need to go out for breakfast and we actually saved a bunch of money by eating the provided goodies. The location was extremely convenient: The subway was very close by with just a quick ride to Times Square and Broadway Shows. Central Park is only a few blocks away. Also, Amsterdam Ave is a block away providing tons of great restaurants to choose from (we recommend Jacob's Pickles if you like great pub food and are a microbrew aficionado). In short: Highly recommended. If you have disposable income- go now. If you don't- save up... and enjoy!

Room Tip: We LOVED our Spa room. So nice to be able to relax in the tub morn, noon and night. A real treat...
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 17, 2013

After days and days of searching for the perfect romantic and intimate hotel to propose to my girlfriend I came upon this gem!

I stayed at the opera suite which included a grand piano, real working fireplace, jacuzzi tub, and outstanding decor.

The owner Elyn was extremely helpful, she gave me romantic suggestions for the evening and included great romantic details in the room such as fresh roses, chocolates, fresh fruit, a bottle of wine and many other light bites.

I decided to make this evening the most romantic evening of my girlfriends life by setting up a couples massage, then having a romantic dinner prepared by a personal chef alongside live music performed on the grand piano within the room.

Elyn and the staff worked with me and the others who I hired to make sure the timing of the evening was perfect. It was indeed the PERFECT night thanks to the help and beautiful atmosphere setup by INN New York City.

I look forward to returning for another evening of romance at this INN. It was truly a unique and remarkable event that everyone should experience. Thank you INN New York City for making my proposal a success!

- Jason O.

3 Thank Jason O
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn new York City over the Veterans Day Holiday as we were celebrating our anniversary. From the time we exited the cab in front of the Inn on West 71st Street until our departure on Monday we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were greeted at the front door by our Hostess Elyn who welcomed us and gave us a tour of the room and all of the amenities of the property. We stayed in the Spa Suite as it is one of 4 rooms at the Inn. The room consisted of bedroom, fully appointed kitchen with granite counter tops and a wonderful spa room which consisted of a large jacuzzi and spa. All first class in their operation. This is quite the Inn/hotel, and a wonderful way to spend your stay in NYC. The room was thoroughly cleaned each day and the kitchen restocked with drinks, pastry, cheeses etc., all of which are included in the price of the room. We were surprised when we arrived as the owners had baked us a delicious chocolate cake in recognition of our anniversary. I know of no other location in the NYC area with these type of accommodations. All in all is was memorable weekend and much was attributed to our delightful stay at the Inn I highly recommend the Inn and we are looking forward to our next stay.

2 Thank William P