“We understand why this is the city that never sleeps.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality House

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality House
Ranked #158 of 479 Hotels in New York City
“We understand why this is the city that never sleeps.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 nights from Nov 24 and were quite happy that we did. The suite had lots of space which was important travelling with three teenage boys. The beds were comfortable although our sleep was disturbed by the trucks collecting rubbish and linen from the service entrance of the hotel across the street. However, this did not detract greatly from our opinion of the hotel as we expected NYC to be noisy. We found the location to be very convenient particularly when we got the hang of the subway system.
The breakfast more than met our needs although it could be squeezy in the dining area at times. Wifi was fickle but we have high expectations and needs (teenagers!).
The area felt safe and there were two good size grocery stores nearby.
Overall, we would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Kitinho
robg64, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality House, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and were able to take advantage of the of our location near the subways and the complimentary breakfast daily. I hope the boys enjoyed NYC!! We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us!

We are currently auditing our WIFI system to make sure everything is working properly. We are also adding extra tables to the breakfast soon.

Your feedback helps us to make a positive experience for our guests in the future.

We hope to see you again soon!! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Robert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Burlington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We took a group of 4 women and 2 young girls to NYC for 5 days. This hotel was perfect! It was clean, spacious, and comfortable! We had plenty of room to relax after a full day of touring, and the beds made for a great nights sleep! The staff - Dave & Tom (and one staff member whose name I don't know, he is from the Dominican Republic) - they were all GREAT!!! So fun to talk with, and they were very helpful with directions and recommendations...just overall very accommodating! The location is perfect, not in the hustle and bustle of Times Square, but within walking distance to Rockefeller Center and subway stops. We had no problems getting around. We are already planning our next trip and will DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again!

Thanks, guys, for a wonderful stay in NYC!!!

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suite comfortably slept 6 people - 2 children on pullout sofa, 2 twins in one bedroom...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dana R
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to write this nice review of our hotel. We are very pleased you felt at home and that your stay was comfortable and relaxing. Six ladies out and about in Manhattan must have been lots of fun.

Thank you for mentioning Dave, Tom and Eddy. They will be very happy to hear that they received honorable mention here as is our management. I will be sure to recognize their efforts in making your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to your next trip to visit NYC!! Please consider us your home in NYC.

Happy Holidays!

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in the final leg of my two and a half week trip around America with friends. I got there but I was almost out of clean clothes and needed to wash. The trip was so busy that I never got a chance to do it at my previous accomodations. But it turned out that this hotel had no washing facilities as I was told rather rashly by the receptionist. I was directed to a laundary service over the road but they charged outrageous prices. And the nearest self-serve laundromat was several blocks away. I just didn't have time because of my tightly sheduled itinerary. So I had to go and buy new underwear and socks at a nearby shop.

Also, the hotel's only elevator was so slow so I had to take the stairs causing more annoyance and stress. And it does not end there, my room key card would not work and couldn't enter my room most of the time. And the man at the reception certainly wasn't the politest person either.

I know these are relatively small iconveniances but I expect alot better from a hotel like this with the prices it charges and the stars it's rated.

I had stayed at the Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel in Hollywood (also 3 star) and I did not have any of the above mentioned issues with it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Michael W
robg64, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality House, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
thank you for your stay and feedback. It helps us to make a positive experience for our guests in the future.

We are small boutique style hotel with only 33 apartments. We unfortunately are limited to one elevator and no washer dryer in the hotel. Most NYC hotels do not offer a coin op laundry room in fact. We have a service nearby that will wash by the pound for 1.50 each pound. they pick up and deliver. Many of the self service laundries no longer exist in Manahattan due to high rent and the availibility of wash and fold services. We have seen three self service lauundries go out of business in the last four years. I was sorry to hear about it not being explained in a warm friendly way. I will speak to all the staff about that.

We have an electronic key entry for guest security. I have not heard of our guests having any problems with it but I will certainly investigate that further.

We hope to improve on your experince with us. Please call me if there is an opportunity for us to make this up to you.

Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season.

Robert.
We hope to see you again soon!!
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this great hotel from the 10th November for 6 days whilst in New York. The location, size of the rooms were amazing. The staff were a real asset and a credit to the hotel. I suffer from arthritis, but had the best nights sleep on the most amazing bed. We had a room at the back of the hotel, so were not bothered by the noise of the city, there was a car park at the back and occasionaly we heard tooting, but not enough to wake us up. We would wake up, sorry excuse me my husband would get up go down to the breakfast room and bring me up fresh orange juice, coffee and toast, what a real treat. Everything was spotlessly clean, fresh toiletries everyday, clean towels etc. This was a real home from home experience. We have travelled to many places and would most definately reccomend this hotel, and will definately be back, hope you find this review helpfull, feel free to ask any questions.

Room Tip: we chose the back and slept like babies.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and were able to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast daily. Your husbad bringing you fresh juice each day sounds great!!

Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of the apartment.

We hope to see you again soon!! Happy Holidays to you and your husband!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We were relocated to this hotel after Sandy and it was a very pleasant surprise. We had a 2 bed apartment, the suites are nicely furnished and the living room, master bedroom and bathroom are really spacious. it's in a fantastic location, near the subway and an easy walk from 5th avenue, central park and union square. They give you a generous welcome pack on arrival and the cleaning service is great. They also organised a very economical car service for me to the airport which was bang on time.

On the downside, the self service breakfast was very odd (all plastic plates, knives and forks), the dining area too small for the number of people staying and somewhat messy - felt a bit like a youth hostel, very different from the quality of the rooms. Yes the apartment is noisy but to be honest I think anywhere in NYC you will be bothered by traffic. The rooms can get very hot but you can turn the heating down. I would have liked some help with getting my bags into the lift. The second bedroom had minimal storage and was somewhat small for 2 adults.

But really these are small points and I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Anna J
robg64, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality House, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your review and feedback. IOur team is happy that you liked the hotel and would return. We will use the points you mention to improve and create a better experience for guests in the future. Perhaps we will look into getting silverware for the breakfast and we are also adding more seating by reconfiguring our breakfast room soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We arrived in New York a week after hurricane sandy and wondered what we would find and were pleasantly surprised with the hotel
The room was a 2 bed apartment with living room diner, kitchen, 2 bedrooms all a very good size, plenty of storage space, comfortable beds and all that you would expect from a normal hotel room.
The rooms were clean and the complimentary breakfast more than enough for our needs
The area immediately around the hotel is not awash with bars, has a choice of restaurants, but not a lot of nightlife
it is located half a block from the waldorf astoria, a few blocks from the UN and Grand Central Station so is a good central location for walking
The nearest subway is 51st st so very close
However sleep was a problem our room 4B faced 49th st and the noise all night was terrible also there was a cold snap while we were there and the central heating was turned up to the bake setting, between the noise and the heat sleep was difficult
the hotel is obviously aware of the noise problem as on our last morning when we went through each drawer and closet as you do when you leave we found in the bedside drawers numerous packets of ear plugs, pity they didnt tell us this at check in
Would I stay here again, yes I would but would probably look for something in a more lively area

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Diveguide
Thank you for this review and your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your comments here. We can add a card to the nightstand about the ear plugs that we provide to combat urban noise in NYC.

We hope you return to stay with us in the future!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed with my family at the hotel Sat 27th October, through Sandy, and checked out Friday 2nd November, we were due to leave on the Wednesday but due to Sandy we were trapped in New York and thanks to Best Western and Trailfinders our Agent we weren't out on the street like some New Yorkers.

The hotel is perfectly positioned in Midtown near to the shops and many of the many tourist attractions. On arrival we were met by Dave at the front desk and given a very warm welcome which was nice. We made it to our apartment on the 9th floor and were pleasantly surprised where got inside. The rooms were spacious with a good sized living room and dining space. The kitchen was sufficient as we were to find out when the hurricane hit and the fridge was even stocked with some essentials which was a nice touch.

The complimentary breakfast was just what was required every morning the choice was just right and although the breakfast room was a little small we took everything on the tray provided back to the room.

We had 5 in our apartment and it was very comfortable. Sam the night receptionist was also very helpful towards the end of our stay.

Thanks BW.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TheIntrepidXplorer
Thank you for your review. We are glad we were able to extend your stay during the storm when your flights were cancelled. We tried not to turn any guests away that got stuck here in NYC. It was a tough time to be here.

Thank you for your visit with us and for your feedback. I will share this review with Sammy, who will love to hear back from you about his service to your family during the storm.

We hope to see you again soon.