“The staff here doesn't know this is not a 5 Star Hotel. They are wonderful!”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #348 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed here on a girls' trip for 4 nights less than 2 weeks before Christmas. I was a little worried about how this was going to go after reading reviews, but could not have been more pleased. The location was perfect! Close to all our broadway shows and Times Square, and just down the street from Rockfeller Center. While the room was small, it was clean and comfortable. Bathroom is a little dated, but was fine for our purposes. Manager (Peter) and staff were as helpful in every way. Some reviews I read stated that the noise was a factor due to location and it was difficult to sleep. I took earplugs and had no problems.
There were 2 issues that I didn't particularly like. The first was that this is not a non-smoking hotel. While our room was fine, two nights while we were there, some of our neighbors were smokers and the hallways smelled like smoke. The second issue was that the building is an older building and the walls are thick. Cell phone signals were not very good in the room as a result. The hotel does have wifi, which worked great, so we were able to make that work also. Again, I can't stress enought that our room did NOT smell like smoke, and after the guests who were smoking checked out, we didn't have any further issues. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I would specifically request a non-smoking area. Not sure if it exists, but next time, I would ask.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear CES2010,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt feedback. On behalf of the staff at The Amsterdam Court and myself; we are truly humbled and touched by your gracious words. We are so pleased we were able to afford you the comforts and convenience necessary to fulfill your guest needs and allow you to enjoy New York in all its grandeur. We do apologize for the initial blips but am happy we were able to reconcile them in desirable manner. Also, I would like to announce that we officially become a non-smoking hotel in the new year so that challenge will no longer be an issue.

Thank you again and have a joyous holiday season!

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,276)

Reviewed December 18, 2013

i enjoyed my stay. The hotel was nice. Compared to the previous hotels i stayed in, this was better as the rooms have been recently refurbished.
we had a problem with a loud ice machine and road works outside but other than that, it was a great hotel in a fantastic location. I would recommend!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Anthony B
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Anthony B,

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your recent stay at The Amsterdam Court. We are glad you enjoyed your room but do apologize for any inconvenience the noise may have caused. It is so pleasing to hear you would stay with us again and truly we look forward to the next time you visit.

Happy Holiday,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the Amsterdam Court..It is in the heart of Times Square. For the price you can't ask for a better location. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and bright. If your looking for a reasonable price for your stay in NYC, you certainly can't beat the Amsterdam Court!! Thank you all for a wonderful stay!!

1  Thank janet o
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Janet O,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at The Amsterdam Court Hotel. As the Hotel Manager, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I am sure our staff will be humbled by your kind words as well. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Warm Regards & happy Holidays,

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Our room was tiny and dark, stuck in a corner - looked nothing like the photos on the website. However, it was clean and staff was attentive - after we asked for extra towels and to have the room cleaned.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Barbara B

Dear Barbara B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. I would like to truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with our Executive Team to address within their respective departments. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I may be of any further assistance now or in the future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Rooms are very small, so don't plan on spending anymore time there than necessary. Never happy when I am charged $10 per day for internet services. No hair dryer or iron in my room. Wasn't happy when I came back to the room after a long day and found a large, many legged insect crawling around the bathtub. BUT....... You can't beat the location, close to everything and the subway is on each corner in case you don't want to walk.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Pattih986,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. I am disappointed to see that we failed to exceed your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize for our lack of ability to provide you with the highest levels of service possible. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to assist in the future. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our first time in NY. Hotel was ok for the money we paid. We have to be realistic we didn't stayed at the Trump Tower. Great location, we were in the heart of Times Square close to subways. After a not very good first night "do not stay in the 2nd floor" staff were able to upgrade us to better rooms and then our nights were much better.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wanda O

Dear Wanda O,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your recent stay with us at The Amsterdam Court. I am happy that you were able to enjoy all that New York has to offer. I do apologize for your first nights stay and any inconveniences as well, however I am glad we were able to rectify it and make the rest of your stay a memorable one. Please know that we are currently in the planning stages of an upcoming renovation and hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I'm always amazed at the high expectations of people who pay only a relatively moderate amount of money for a room in midtown Manhattan. Just for the record: If you are paying in this rate range for a hotel, you can and always should expect to stay at an aging facility with a jumble of room sizes that have some guests happy and some not; antiquated heating/cooling systems that keep both building engineers and guests guessing; mediocre coffee/tea and breakfast offerings; a mix of personalities at the front desk, from professional and helpful to tired-looking and indifferent; old windows and doors that do little to block the noise of the very busy location and unpredictable guests visiting from all over the world; and stairs/elevators that mystify and frustrate.

This is almost an absolute truth. So why are you going to beat up on the Amsterdam Court in particular? Chances are, your review will be identical no matter which low-to-mid price hotel you choose in this area. So please, spare us the drama.

A group of associates stayed here for several nights in November. We expected everything i mentioned above, and we got it. The hotel fits the budget and has a very central location if you want the "Times Square Tourist/Theater Scene." (If you want quieter and access to Central Park, stay up near Columbus Circle, please.) We used our earplugs and got decent coffee and rolls elsewhere (hello, you're in Midtown! Get out of your hotel!) had patience with the hotel's limitations and will all lived to tell about it. We may even stay here again, due to predictability and decent rate. End of rant.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a "larger room" because there are some tiny ones in the interior stai...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank retro1959
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Retro1959,

While most reviews tend to expound on the positives or the negatives of a guests stay, your review had a quite refreshing twist to it. We appreciate your stance on the expectations of most NYC hotels and thank you for your honesty, support and candor. We do listen to what our guests have to say and find we can only better our product by such personal input.
With that said, we are pleased we were able to meet your needs and that of your associates. However we will not stop there. We are forever looking ahead to improve the guest experience and build on what is concrete and to learn and change from what needs improvement.
We hope to welcome you and your colleagues back again the next time you visit New York.

On behalf of all the Amsterdam Court Team,