“Great Location”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #338 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during winter time. The location is excellent close to many NYC tourist attractions. The rooms are clean, basic just adequate for couples. The subway station is just few minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel staffs are very helpful and accommodating. This hotel is good value for money. Overall, we had a wonderful stay in this hotel and would like to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dabawenyo
There are newer reviews for Amsterdam Court Hotel

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed one night at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. The rooms are modest, but clean and comfortable. Quality mattresses and hot showers. Perfect if you are just looking for a place to crash for the night, but may not be a place you want to use as a hangout. We experienced friendly service at the front desk. It was 102 degrees outside and our air conditioner wasn't working properly. A repair person was at our door before my husband hung up the phone. Within 10 minutes we had been moved to a new room. We spent about 100 dollars less per night than we usually do at a Hilton Garden type hotel and received discounted parking across the street. If you are looking for a clean and comfortable place to sleep you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is in a great location by Times Square; that aside, I found nothing to rave about.

The website makes this place look modern & lovely - in actual fact the whole place is quite dim (badly lit & lacking natural light) and everything is dated & in dire need of replacing/updating. It made Travellodge seem luxurious.

My room was large but very dark - a tiny window looking onto a brick wall. The lighting was poor so the room was always dim. I think I probably just got unlucky with the room location, perhaps.

The bed was saggy and uncomfortable. Everything was quite dated & in need of renewing. The bathroom window didn't lock, which given it opened onto the fire escape scared me somewhat.

The fuse box outside my room kept blowing - nearly everytime I tried to use the hair dryer provided in the bathroom. Quite annoying.

The place is also very noisy - from traffic outside & doors etc banging inside the hotel - even without the badly behaved school group that stayed one weekend.

Two of the desk staff were friendly & helpful whilst two were sullen & seemed annoyed that you were there. Every time I had a problem with my room (fuse blown three times, fire alarm battery bleeping once), I had to ask at least twice before anything got fixed.

I was in this hotel for 3 weeks for work so I didn't care what it cost. But if I had been paying, I would have been very very disappointed and upset.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank JojoB1987
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I visit NYC once or twice every year and try to stay in different parts of town. This trip I wanted to be close to the Theater District, Times Square, and Rockefeller Plaza. When I started looking for hotels in this area on line I could not find anything for less than $229 a night. Since we were staying four nights I wanted a better rate. I found Amsterdam Court on Orbitz for $159 a night. Some of the reviews I read were a little questionable, but I decided to take a chance. The lobby is very nice and there is a bar and a restaurant attached to the front of the hotel. The room was small but adequate. We visited in late June, early July and it was very hot and humid. There was a VERY noisy window AC unit in the room and although it was producing cold air, the room always felt damp and musty. The hotel staff was prompt with requests, the requests being that we never had any towels in our room and we always had to call the front desk for them. I also had to request and iron, as there was not one in the room. One of the two elevators was out of service for two of our four days. All of that being said, I can't say enough about the location. We were able to walk to a Broadway show, Rockefeller Plaza (for the Today Show) and Times Square within minutes. Staying in this location saved us so much time and money that we would normally spend on the subway or cabs. It's also a short walk to Hell's Kitchen for dinner, and we even walked all the way to 34th st one day, which only took us about 20 minutes. If you are coming to the city for a weekend and want to be in this area, $159 or less is a great value and worth it for a short stay. There are also some bigger name hotels in the area, so I would compare rates before booking if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: I would ask if all the rooms have window AC units. If you can get a room with a different kind of co...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A1977C
Reviewed July 5, 2013

First the good things - Great location in Manhattan, metro is right outside the hotel and so is the bus station. Times Square, broadway can be accessed even for a nightcap. the hotel has 2 restaurants and the terrace view is not so bad.

Now, the not so good things - Rooms are small and the windows open up to another wall at a distance of 5 feet. The reception is not very helpful - they didn't even know that they had received a courier for me from Amazon. The beds are clean and the bathrooms are small. But if you are in NY and plan to spend the entire day out, then it is a good bargain. And i mean all the time out, because there's nothing to see inside. Even the ice machine doesn't work.

Room Tip: Go for Room 201 or for rooms in the higher floors. They have a view more than 5 feet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Actual stay was good - good location and decent rooms.

I prepaid with Expedia, but still had to give my credit card upon check in for incidentals.

When I got back home to uk, I luckily checked my statement. They charged me for accommodaton again. I phoned the hotel - man said that I shouldn't have been charged, but he couldn't do anything. He gave me the accounts department number - can't get hold of them.

The hotel sent me a feedback survey, which asked whether you'd like a manager to contact you - I said yes, and why. Guess what - no response. Good to see they look at their feedback forms!

So am still out of pocket. Have left it to credit card company to pursue as I'm having no luck.

So check your statements after staying here. Real shame as it is a really good location.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Ckellygoddard
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We booked a standard room and stayed 3 nights. We loved it first of all the room was spacious we got room 408 much more room than some hotels in New York. It was very clean best of all we were in the center of everything right in the heart of time square the hotel has both metro stations at either end of the street how convenient . They offered complimentary tea and coffee which we thought was great and a nice touch. The staff were all so friendly and helpful we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013