“Convenient, quiet boutique hotel with friendly, helpful staff”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #342 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel was chosen for us by our four children as a 70th birthday present to their father.
They could not have found a more convenient hotel in a suitable location. We found the staff extremely friendly and courteous especially Vana who was a mine of information on where to go and how to get there on our first visit to New York.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Amsterdam Court Hotel

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the Amsterdam Court Hotel for 4 nights at the end of April 2013. Being our 1st time to NYC, we were well aware that location was key and we were very impressed with the location of this hotel. It was within a stones throw of Times Square, and all the other generic sightseeing locations were well within walking distance. The only time we got the Subway was to go to the Financial District and Brooklyn (although to be fair, you could walk to the Financial District if you wanted to!). The hotel was clean and the room was a fair size for two people. The room was turned down every day with fresh towels provided. The bed was super comfortable too. The only comment I would make is that the AC unit was very loud, so much so we had to have it turned off at night and have the window open, being on the 5th floor, this wasn't a problem however the traffic from the nearby road was loud so if you're a very light sleeper or don't use ear plugs I'm not sure this would be right for you. You can buy a 24hour wifi pass for $10 a day which I thought was reasonable. The staff were very helpful and a huge thanks to Ana who helped us when we needed to arrange a taxi to the airport on the way home. A tip would be to use the Shuttle service provided from the hotel to the airport as this is so much cheaper than a yellow cab (saved us $20 each).
I wouldn't neccessarily pay for the breakfast which is provided downstairs, it was near enough $10 per person and all we could see that was available was toast/continental breakfast. Instead, we usually went to the health bar a few doors down from the hotel who made delicious and healthy shakes, sandwiches, toasted sandwiches etc.
I would 100% stay at the Amsterday Court Hotel again and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 2ashdb76
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I'm a discerning traveler with near-weekly visits to New York and have stayed in every range of hotel.

The highlights of Amsterdam Court: 1) the incredible Times Square location with the 1/9 red line Subway on the very block on which it is situated; 2) the value of what you get for the money; 3) the service...go front desk manager Vana! Way to make a gal feel at home, keep up a conversation and offer a complimentary cookie!

The pleasant surprise: the room décor: shockingly modern. Adorable room really. Loved coming back to it.

The simple fixes that knocked the room from 4 to 3: drippy faucets in the bathroom, a suction bathmat in the tub (means one really cannot take a bath) and peeling, faded varnish on the desk (such a quick fix for greater curb appeal (I watch too much HGTV!).

The disappointment: for the night I was there, the Wifi was down. This is kind of a killer for any business traveler. Luckily, there is a Starbucks a block away, but what it meant was that I had to camp out there until near midnight to file my work. When I asked for a refund at the desk, the night manager explained that they outsource WiFi services and that I would have to make an appeal via an 800 number: who has time for that?

The notable: on either side of the hotel is a connecting restaurant and a bar and both were happening in the evening (btw by "happening" I do not mean loud and boisterous: just lively and busy) with plenty of clientele, which might be a nice option for weary travelers looking for a watering hole options right downstairs.

My room location: I was on the top floor in street-facing room 717. Having lived in NYC, I knew I was in for the noise of late-night delivery trucks: it's just a fact. If you have sensitive ears, ask for an inside room, but know that will come with far less light.

Repeat? If the Wifi is working definitely, and I'll take my room recommendation next time!

Room Tip: Aim for a top floor and ask for a quiet room, knowing that will mean less light but less noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed in Amsterdam Court Hotel in April for 1 night.

The location of the hotel is very good. Easy access with subway or taxis etc.
It was a bit difficult to see the entrance door, walked passed it first time around. There are no big signs nor flags, just a sign next to the door.

People at the reception were very friendly and check-in/out was quick.

Room - I stayed on the first floor. There was no elevator to that floor, just 5 steps of stairs. My room was very close to the reception area, so I could hear all the noise, that was going on. If you get a room like that and planning to have a nap during the day - wear earplugs.
Room was a bit chilly (the heater was not warm at all), so when I called to the reception, they said, that I need to turn it on myself. It still didnt work, but luckily they brought another electrical heater. It would be a nice touch, if the room could be warmed up before I get there.
Room itself was clean and tidy. Normal size for NY. I had a window, but it was tiny and I could see a wall outside.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on upper floors.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Yovana C, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Mare R

Thank you for your recent review of Amsterdam Court, New York on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel by myself for 20 days int he month of february 2013 while studying for an exam. The room was very comfortable and clean, with enough space for storage, the bathroom was modern. The hotel felt safe. The area is top. You can find everything that you need right around the corner. You can walk to a lot of interesting places: central park, times square, broadway, Rockefeller center, 5th avenue, a ton of restaurants... Several subway lines steps away.
The service was EXCELLENT. I stayed a long time and received such a warm service by the staff of this hotel. Specially, Marleny, who works at the front desk. Very charming lady, always with a smile, always giving a step further to help you in anything that I needed. A lot of willingness to make my stay the best it could be. Also, Maria, the cleaning lady, an incredibly warm woman, very kind, very polite. Always left the room impeccable, very trustworthy and efficient. Vana, the manager was also polite and helpful.
I can be considered as a demanding customer and this hotel rose to the occasion. I can't spot one bad thing I could express.
The hotel gives a lot more then expected for the reasonable price payed or for any price. I highly recommend this hotel for a short or rather long stay like mine. I definitely would stay here in my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Raisa85

Dear Raisa85,

WOW Thankyou so much for your 5 Star review, We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations and will share your compliments with Marleny and the rest of the team. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our guests experience is seamless and we are proud to have achieved this with you. We look forward to your next 20 nights stay!

Warm regards

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My family and I (from the Netherlands) stayed 4 nights in this hotel. We had two stepparent rooms, one with two windows and the other one without any daylight.The rooms were pretty dark. The second room smelled like fried potatoes, but we could switch rooms immediately after noticing this at the reception desk. Great service.
This hotel is perfectly situated. With times square just around the corner, central park and the surrounded museums on a stone throw away and Rockefeller Centre around another corner. We even walked to flatiron building. Maybe a good thing to know.. next time we will bring sports shoes. Because our feet hurt after walking. We visited Ground zero and the Brooklyn Bridge by taxi. We didn’t travel by metro because it was cheaper for us four to travel by taxi.
Also really comfortable beds!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MirandaR532

Dear MirandaR532,

Thank you very much for your recent review of Amsterdam Court, New York on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We hope to have the chance of welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Arrived 5-1 and left 5-3-13, very pleased with the hotel, and the room...The hotel had a charming European feel, perhaps made so by the wonderful staff. Ana was most helpful and engaging. I found the room to be that of hotels I stayed in Scotland, small by American standards, but perfect for this trip as I was there to work...It was bright and clean, comfy bed, great bathroom, with a shower that could peel the paint off a car...I expected a weak shower, not!

It was a block off Broadway, I could walk down to the client site passing thru Times Square, and take in all the sites NYC has to offer. Since this was my first visit to NY, I enjoyed that. Especially loved Bryant Park...

I had everything I needed right near me, food, drink, misc. shopping, etc.

I would certainly stay again, as the staff made my stay very enjoyable and tolerated my 3 cab ride time changes to JFK..

RCF
Charlotte NC

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear RCFullerton,

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Amsterdam Court. It sounds like our team really made your stay special and that you had the chance to take advantage of our great location. We look forward to your next stay with us.