“Great Stay”

Ranked #336 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Brazil
“Great Stay”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

First impression of the hotel was very good. The room was recently renovated, so it was well decorated and clean. The bathroom is great, we were so happy to not find a tub like most hotels have.... The bathroom is clean and modern. Hot water works great for winter days. Hotel's staff are super helpful. Especially Vana and Karina at the reception who were very thoughtful and nice!

Strengths: Very nice bathroom; no feeds for packages storage; towels replaced every day; great location.
To be improved: Price of wi-fi a little high.

2 Thank Claudia S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Turkish first
Long Island, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at the Amsterdam Court Hotel thinking it was a hole in the wall as the price was so ridiculously low. Low and behold, while it was a small room, the bathroom was more than full size. The place was clean, newly renovated and great location. To top it off, it's in the same building as a Natsumi Sushi Restaurant, one of the best sushi restaurants in NYC.

Overall, I couldnt ask for more for the price...excellent value!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank franandjim508
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just come back from stay at amsterdam court I looked on here before coming to NYC and was a little concerned when I see some reviews but I guess you get that everywhere you go. My husband and I felt the the hotel was excellent it was great value for money and is in a excellent location I can't understand why people expect so much of hotels when in NYC you hardly spend anytime in the rooms. The only thing that bothered us a little was the noise but nothing major the staff were all very friendly and always very helpful. I was asked by a member of staff to complete this review but I had already decided to anyway as I wanted others to not be put off by any negative comments I would recommend this hotel purely for the location value for money and helpful staff!
X

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Kh0810
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Small but clean and newly-renovated rooms. New mattress. Great service! Everyone was super nice and helpful. The Location is fantastic! Less than a minute away from Time Square, but also just far enough down the street that it was quiet and dark at night!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Yovana C, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Adrienne H,

Very nice! Thank you so much for you great review and comments about the service from our staff. All of us here at Amsterdam Court take great pride in providing only the best service here in Manhattan, and so your comments really make us smile. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

After some of the poor reviews on here, my expectations were not high. However, all the staff were welcoming and very helpful - whether providing local knowledge, making sure we got back to the airport on time, or housekeeping not hassllng us to get out of our room each morning. The room itself was huge and very comfortable, with a very effective air conditioning unit - essential in August! Finally, what can I say about the location? Right next to Times Square, putting many NYC attractions within walking distance. Overall, the best hotel we've stayed in in new York, and by far the best value too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RobL1,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our location. We are very lucky to be located in the center of it all and it sounds like you had a great time. I am so glad Amsterdam Court was " The best hotel you've ever stayed at in New York". We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Director of Front Office Operations
Lisbon
Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you think you need the hotel just to "take a shower and sleep" and this could be the one, think again. I should have listen to all the other reviews because everything people say it's true.

The Good and the Bad:

The Bad:

1) The pipe from the heating system made noise every 10 minutes and kept us awake most nights during our stay. Not to mention that I burned myself when I touched when I came close to the window.

2) The toilet was many times clogged until one day when we flushed and well... you can imagine all the bathroom flooded with dirty water pouring out. It turns out that it started leaking to a room in a lower floor and we were woke up next morning by a rude maintenance guy.

3) Same with the bathtub.

3) EVERY single "clean" towel had every day long black hairs inside - Absolutely DISGUSTING.

4) The windows were not sound-proof. We could hear people, cards, ambulances, all night long. Pretty much as if we were outside, as the window's glass are very thin. The blind was also broken and we couldn't close it completely to avoid street light. I mentioned this to the hotel but they didn't fixed.

5) We requested (and got confirmation) a high floor and they ignored our request. Upon check-in, the front desk said "I know you guys wanted a room in a high floor but we don't have any available" - so why they confirmed that I was booked for a high floor, and accepted my reservation? That's what I call a tourist trap.

The Good:

Only 3 great things to mention about the hotel: Perfect Location, Very warm and friendly front desk staff, Free Room Upgrade in check-in.

Bottom line:

All of the issues addressed above are the exact same ones that we read before booking the hotel. Seems that they don't listen to customers and things don't get fixed. I believe this could be a nice hotel if they listened to customers feedback and would invest in getting things fixed. They are just trying to save, but I believe that fixing one thing here and one thing there could make a huge difference not only in the reviews but also in the hotel revenue.

Sometimes is better to pay a bit more, but at least you'll be able to take a good shower and sleep after a busy day walking around the city. Unfortunately at this moment, I cannot recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mystyco
Dear Mystyco,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. We are very sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. We do apologize. I would very much like to see what we can do to win back your business and give you the experience you should have had. Please feel free to contact me at 212 459 1000 or via Email at ychinasamy@amsterdamhospitality.com at your convenience.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

albanai,fier
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 12.02.2013. up to 16.02.2013. It was excellent for its position, nearby time square, with admirable & communicable staff. Vana & Karina were very helpful, helping & explaining me all fogginess. Thank you "Amsterdam Court Hotel"! You are the best in manhattan.

Room Tip: Select room 519, is very confortable.