“Adequate, but pricey”

Ranked #336 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Columbia, SC
“Adequate, but pricey”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I realize getting any kind of decent room in mid-town for under $250 is difficult, but for $50 more I got a much better room in another hotel during my last stay in NY. Little things (ice machine out of order, bed not real comfortable, noisy a/c that smelled, sub-par TV, housekeeping not thorough) added up. I would have gladly put up with it all if I was paying $200 per night instead of $250. Boutique style was fine for my purposes, and I didn't have real high expectations. Staff was friendly. Hotel location is great. It's an adequate place to crash in the theater district, but not much more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Turkish first
cornwall,England,GB
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Good Location,bed very comfy(slept like logs),room bit worn,but clean and tidy,good shower with plenty of hot water,bath was very small,but was fun trying to get into it,staff were very friendly and helpful,that could not be said about all new yorkers ,overall excellent 50TH birthday pressie,would recommend new york,and hotel . .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Philip L
Yovana C, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Philip L,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our team tries to make every stay special and I'm glad to know that your 50th birthday was memorable. We love to celebrate all of life’s milestones. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon and remain at your service.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My partner and I have just arrived back from a 7 night stay in the Amsterdam Court Hotel. After reading earlier reviews and negative comments, we were anxious as to what to expect and fearful it would put a dampener on our break. On arrival to the hotel, we were greeted by a delightful lady on reception who was both pleasant and professional. We were upgraded to a king (room 702). Our room was ideal, small but excellent layout with one of the most comfortable beds we have ever stayed in! The room had two windows and a large wardrobe. The bathroom looked newly tiled and was very tastefully decorated.
Housekeeping was daily and the rooms were cleaned and presented to immaculate standards.
All the staff were happy to assist with any queries and had excellent customer service skills.
The hotel reception and dining rooms were immaculate and lovely and cool. This hotel is in excellent location, 2 minutes walk from Times Square, with a Subway station 30 seconds walk and a supermarket a minutes walk away.
We were very grateful of the upgrade and the outstanding service we received. All of this has made us certain that next time we visit New York we will stay ar Amsterdam Court Hotel. Additionally, I would recommend it to friends and family. Many thanks to all staff at the hotel for helping to make our holiday magical.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Helen A,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Amsterdam Court and sharing your experiences with us! I am so glad Amsterdam Court “Exceeded Expectations!.” am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our location, décor, and friendly staff. We are very lucky to be located in the center of it all and it sounds like you had a great time in New York. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed September 7, 2012

this hotel anywhere else would be disgusting and below average. The pictures of the main lobby lie! it looks modern and classy, but once you make it to your room the bathroom is tile and tiny. the queen size bed is the only thing that fits in the room, i believe it was 100sq ft total including a bathroom which for NY city, 2 blocks for time square is ok (i guess)....it wasn't ok for me since i paid about $400 a night and the place was dirty and did not feel sanitary at all....That is why its hard to say it was average, its only average bc of LOCATION! if it was anywhere else, even 5 blocks the opposite from TS then it was def be 2stars.

Room Tip: ask for a window not facing an alley or building bc it makes the A/C window units really loud.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FFXTravelers
Dear FFXTravelers,

Thank you for your recent review of Amsterdam Court, New York on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize that your stay on this occasion was a disappointing one. Your comments are very important to us. We would be delighted to discuss this further with you and make amends for the inconveniences you encountered. Please feel free to email us at Email-ychinasamy@amsterdamhospitality.com .

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Excellent service and couldn't have asked for better location. The hotel is located on the same block as the entrance to two different subway lines ($14/wk for a pass). It is also located around the corner from an amazing italian-sytle bistro food place called Food Emporium with healthy and very tasty meals; so reasonable, that it would be as expensive for me to make them at home (Canada) . The rooms might not be as roomy as newer hotels but for those who just go to the hotel to sleep it's perfect. The hotel is incredibly quiet considering its location. The bathrooms are impeccably clean. The staff at the front desk are very amicable and eager to help. They offered us maps and coupons and smiled every time we went by. This was refreshing considering the general lack of service we had from most other establishments in NYC.

Areas of improvement: Wireless was only available at the entrance/foyer. Shower heads could be more environmentally friendly as too much water came out of them. Towel service could be more environmentally friendly by allowing customers to chose wether they want to have the towels changed (by leaving them on the floor) or not changed that day (by hanging them to dry).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank QKR
Dear QKR,

Thank you for your recent review of Amsterdam Court, New York on Trip Advisor. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll be sure to share your kind comments with all of our team. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback following your recent stay at the hotel, We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

england
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I read many reviews on here before booking and after booking, which gave me an idea of what to expext. When I got there I found it matched all the good reviews rather than the bad.
The hotel is literally around the corner from Time Square, a very short walk from the Rockafella Centre and Central Park so location is perfect! Everywhere was within walking distance and it is next to the subway so you can get the train to the South very easily and is only $2.50 for a single no matter how far you go.

The hotel room was cleaned daily (we did not have to request this as another review says they did), it was done automatically and very well. The bed was extremely comfy with big comfy pillows. The room was not massive but was big enough. The shower was very powerful and hot. We did not have a view from the window as there is a new building right next to it, but this did not matter as we were only in the room for about an hour a day apart from when sleeping. Air con was slightly noisy but did not bother us as turned it off at night and just turned the tv up when we were watching it.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to people if you are looking for a basic place to stay that offers a clean, comfy bed to stay in at night and is in the centre of everything!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jennalv
Yovana C, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear jennalv,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Amsterdam Court and sharing your experiences with us. We're glad you enjoyed our amazing location, We are flattered and humbled that you recommed us, We also agree with you 100% about our beds - they are beyond comfortable! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I went from Miami to NYC to celebrate my 40th birthday with a couple of friends and family. We booked 3 rooms at the Amsterdam Court hotel and we all loved it. I was totally impressed by the great location and value this hotel has!!! I arrived to be checked in by Marlene. She was very nice and courteous! She gave us maps of the area, answered all questions we had and gave me a perfect room. You could tell that she really enjoyed her job. Along her was Vanessa who was very sweet and helpful. The rooms are on the smaller side but not bad at all and they are decorated very nicely!!! The cleaning service had to be requested and was excellent each day!

I also came in contact with Liza who was very helpful in finding me the perfect place for lunch based on the area I was going to be in. I appreciated that she gave me a coupon to Century 21 for a free gift as well. I enjoyed being just a few blocks away from the ticket center which sells 50% off tickets to theater plays. I got tickets to Phantom of the Opera at 50% off. Since you have to check for the tickets the same day it helps to be near by. I also loved being close by to the restaurant on top of the Marriott called The View which rotates and you get to see the whole city! I had a fabulous brunch there.

I was happy to find that on the same block there is a Rite Aid pharmacy and supermarket that are both opened 24 hours. Also, around the corner there is the Food Emporium which opens until midnight. They have really good food there for breakfast and lunch at a very reasonable price. There is where I purchased my birthday cake and it was yummy!!!

We all enjoyed the roof top each night. We purchased wine and appetizers and hanged out there each night. It also came in handy when our flight was delayed. After checking out of the hotel we hung out there in the lounge chairs and Marlene brought us delicious jello shots!

You have access to the subway right by the hotel. I asked the hotel on how to get public transportation from La Guardia airport to them and I was told to take the bus Q33 and then take the subway C to 42 street but that put us 8 blocks away. With luggage it was a bit of an uncomfortable walk but I wish they would of told me that I could of taken the E train which leaves you right on 50th street just a few doors away from the hotel!!!

Each year I stay at about 6-7 different hotels and I can tell you that I highly recommend the Amsterdam Court hotel. Again, excellent location, friendly staff and great value!!!

Room Tip: Room 717 is larger than most rooms and you get view to the Greenwich Theater and a peel towards time...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanette P
Dear Jeanette P

Thank you so much for your 5 star detailed review, I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our location, we truly are very lucky to be located in the center of it all. I am so happy that you made us part of such a memorable milestone. I am sure Vanessa, Liza and Marleny will be so pleased that your experience was a great one. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.