“A very interesting one shot”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Degustation

Degustation
Reserve with OpenTable
Degustation is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,662 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: Between 2nd Ave. & 3rd Ave.
Transit: 6 Train to Astor Place
New York City, New York
“A very interesting one shot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I had wonderful tasting meals here (each different as I am allergic to shellfish). There was a very nice variety and everything was extremely well-prepared. Unfortunately we later learned that the restaurant's menu is stagnant and has been for some time with the current chef relying on receipts from predecessors without adding anything of incremental value. Hence it's a one shot experience, with no reason to return until there is a new and innovative chef.

• Visited August 2013

Strasbourg, France
“Interesting Evolved Spanish Tapas place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Most of the dishes which are small sizes are interesting, two or three in the tasting menus are incredible and cooked in front of you by a staff of three. A little overpriced tough for what you eat.

Visited January 2014
Hampton Bays, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

The food here was very good. It was entertaining watching the chefs work and being able to talk directly to them as they worked. Some of their dishes are great creations. However not sure if I can say it was worth the dough. quite pricey. Also, be prepared for a long dine. The food comes out very slowly and erratically. When I'm paying this much, I'd rather the length of my dining experience be my choice. Really is best for two people, because of the seating, you're only going to be able to talk to one neighbor at a time.

• Visited January 2014
San Francisco, California
“Best in NY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

$80 for 7 course tasting--small portions, but every bite is amazing. Compared to other top NY restaurants I've been to (Jean George, Le Cirque, 11 Madison Park, Grammercy Tavern), Degustation has the best food for the best price in NY. Also a unique dining experience since the kitchen is inside the bar area and all seats are at the bar, so you get the special kitchen table without paying the kitchen table price. Only ~15 seats, so be sure to make a reservation (month in advance to ensure availability). Coffee "service" is also highly recommended for $5--they steam the milk right in front of you and serve to you along with white and Demerara sugar cubes--super cute presentation and good tasting coffee, although cup size is small.

• Visited December 2013
Bergen, Norway
“A favourite, but it used to be even better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I love Degustation and I will keep on coming here whenever I am visiting New York. I always order the tasting menu, and I also did that this time. Most of the dishes are really exciting and tasteful, but for the first time I got the feeling that I was in an assembly line, that the Chef did not put his heart in this and at one point my dish just was almost cold.

The service by the rest of the staff is very nice and helpful, even though I had to wait almost half an hour for my table. I really do not mind this, because it means they allow their guests to take their time. I have not been in the restaurant in a couple of years and since last time there is a new Chef / owner. It might be he just did not had the best day, and that Degustation will be a number one restaurant when I return the next time.

• Visited January 2014