“Wonderful hideaway”
Review of Bacaro

Bacaro
Reserve with OpenTable
Bacaro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,990 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Cross street: Between Orchard and Ludlow
Transit: East Broadway (F); Grand St (B, D); Delancey-Essex Sts (F, J, M, Z)
Description: Rustic Venetian tavern for sharing cichetti, Venetian-style small plates paired with Northern Italian wines. Covertly located down a little winding street a block south of Canal. An inside and outside staircase both lead you to an underground catacomb of exposed brick archways with wooden communal farm tables, illuminated by soft lighting and warm candles reminiscent of the streets of Italy.
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I almost hate to write a nice review for fear that the place will become over-discovered. South of Little Italy and China Town is this great little restaurant. Italian or probably more specific would be Venetian cuisine.
The portions are true Italian stlyle but also modestly priced and the wine list seems to feature lesser known but good quality selections (also nicely priced).
Great little marble and dark wood bar upstairs.
Dinning area is a nesting of various size alcoves of brick and stone. Great for an intimate couple dinner, or family, or small group. all around terrfic

There are newer reviews for Bacaro

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Bacaro is a truly unique dining experience in heart of New York City's lower east side. Everything about this restaurant is spectacular.... The food is superbly cooked italian dishes straight from the old world. While the food aloner makes the trek to the LES worthwhile the atomosphere of the restaurant truly sets it apart. Dning area is in the brick-lined basement on rustic wooden tables with the entire room lit only by candle light! One feels as though they have been transported back to an Italian wine cellar before the turn of the century... Truly creates a magical setting for initimate dining with friends & family or for a romantic experience with a special person. This is a must visit for anyone in the area looking for a elegant and memorable dining event!

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have been to this resto close to a dozen times, and my last trip their reminded me just how great this place is (and that I should post a review). In my view, a simply perfect spot. Food, service, ambience are all exceptional.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

So sad. The food here is good - the sardines reminded me of Venice, the gnocchi were light and the steak melted in your mouth. The razor clams however were a bit on the sandy side. The wait staff was nice and attentive and the ambiance, well - who would know? I reserved a table downstairs and the door staff decided that we should be seated upstairs - right next to the kitchen and bathroom. This was a 7:30 reservation - not a full house at all. We weren't late and the place was empty and yet she claimed the downstairs was all booked (yeah, i was one of those bookings!) Even her co-worker was surprised when we were seated by the bathroom. I wish these restaurants realized that the experience begins when you walk in the door - I was made unhappy right from the start and with that it marred the rest of my experience.
Did i like the food - yeah, it was ok. Would i ever go back? No. Would i recommend this place - certainly not.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

For our 10th anniversary weekend in New York City, we were looking for something off the beaten path, but with atmosphere and good food. Located in a tiny dark stretch of Chinatown, Barcaro seemed to fit the bill. The downstairs dining room was warm and inviting, but a little noisy due to the close proximity of other tables and the low ceiling. At 8:30 on a Friday night, the dining room was filled to capacity, and although we had reservations, we were seated at a table next to the back exit, which was used frequently by exiting diners, allowing icey blasts of air to blow across our table. The food was fine. My husband's braised pork shank was delicious and meltingly tender. My whole wheat pasta with duck ragu was also good, but there was nothing that really said "duck". Sadly, our server and other dining room attendants were almost non-existant. After ordering cocktails, some time definitely passed before they arrived. Same again for our wine with dinner. In fact, more than once our server gave us a quick shrug, and an "I forgot" when we asked for something. We even joked that we could have used the back exit next to us to beat a hasty, unseen retreat. Again, the food was very good, but if virtually non-existant service makes your place hip, then Bacaro's is definately that.