“Best vegan gourmet I have ever had!”

Blossom Vegan Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Blossom Vegan Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #277 of 14,520 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

On several recent trips to New York City, I have found myself exploring the upscale vegan restaurants with friends. Candle 79 was first, and tonight was Blossom.

The meal was super. Place is small and intimate in a very old building. There is an upstairs dining room which I understand is nicer but was not open when we were there.

They have an excellent organic beer and wine list, and the beer from Brooklyn was great. I have been told by others who are not necessarily vegans that their Caesar salad is the best they ever had. I may not go that far but it was wonderful. It is hard to do Caesar salad without eggs and anchovies, but the dressing was probably made with some type of nut cream and was great. There even was a hint of a flavor that seems like anchovies Which I was told might be seaweed. The large at $13 was more than enough for two.

I don't like to compare restaurants in my reviews, however I found the menu here to be more straightforward and accessible then a competitor. There is a great variety of dishes: tempeh, seitan, tofu And even assorted vegetable plates. There are familiar preparations such as barbecue.

My friend and I could not decide between the seitan scallopini or the nightly special which was seitan in a tomato sauce with a potato vegetable medley. We shared. Both were delicious. I hate to say it, however I preferred the scallopini. Seitan seems a perfect replacement for veal in many dishes like this, or chicken. I think the seitan also absorbs the flavor better than meat. The sauce was light and had a wonderful taste of lemon and capers.

Dessert was also shared, an apple crisp with cashew ice cream. The apple crisp may also have been the best I've ever had: wonderful with just the right amount of cinnamon. A great cup of French press coffee with soy or almond milk concluded the meal.

It is so great to go to a restaurant and be able to order anything on the menu. It is even better when the food is this good and you're not limited to something like a veggie burger or a pasta dish. I will clearly be back.

1  Thank Rhapsodyinblue

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Trekked quite a long way across NY to get to Blossom, after having read a review in a UK magazine. Service and atmosphere was good, but food on our visit was very disappointing - composition of some dishes seemed rather confused and felt like it could all have been more refined.

1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The food was extremely good and the service very enjoyable at Blossom. I had the pistachio dusted tofu and coconut lavender creme brûlée. Both dishes lived up to their expectations and were delicious. Especially the creme brûlée, I have never had a vegan version so good. Such a relief to find a restaurant this charming and with an interesting menu where I could choose whatever I wanted without sorting through non-vegan offerings. I loved it here.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

. I enjoyed my meal at Blossom but really didn't feel that the food. Clean, cute restaurant with organic vegan food, Good food, okay service. To sum it all up not impressive but good

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Simply put, fantastic. If you're vegan or vegetarian, this place is a treat. If you're a meat-lover, relax -- this place could turn you vegan. Everything we had was delicious, the wine selection was small but appropriate, the ambiance was perfect -- you could be casual or formal, you could have a romantic night or a cozy night with friends. The staff was friendly and unobtrusive, and the prices were very reasonable. All in all a sure bet, but make your reservations early so you don't miss out.