“Traditional Japanese cuisine” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aburiya Kinnosuke

Aburiya Kinnosuke
Ranked #1,761 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Midtown
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Traditional Japanese cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

A big thank you to my Japanese friend Satoshi for making me discover this little gem which was located next door to our Hotel. I have never experienced japanese food like this before and served tapas style,the duck was exquisite, the fish cooked to perfection, the freshest sashimi ever, all this served in a very quaint and traditional atmosphere. Altogether, a great experience.

• Visited November 2013

Michigan
“Food was excellent, service....eh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you like Japanese food, this place is great and definitely worth trying. Don't go expecting to order a California roll, though. It's rather authentic. The menu is more tapas style, with small portions for the table to share. There is a $25 minimum per person, no exceptions. The sake + ginger cocktail is AMAZING.
As for the service, it was a little odd. They are adamant about reservations and timeliness - which I understand and appreciate, but this was a bit much. Our reservation was for 10p and we were told if the entire party was not there by 10:15p that the door would be locked because they close at 11p. That said, we were rushed the entire time. Any time I inquired about something on the menu, the server immediately wanted to add it to my order without answering my question. We were also asked if we wanted dessert while we were ordering our entrees (many people, myself included, haven't made that decision yet). They started cleaning up at 10:26p and it was clear that we couldn't order anything else even if we wanted to. So that definitely took away from our experience again, though the food was very very good and I'd go back based on that alone.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We tried the tasting menu (omakase). Glad we did. You can pick a price per person, and let the waiter choose your courses, our experience was excellent. Food and service were exceptional and the tastes could not have been better. Some of what we had, baked tile fish with garlic, red snapper mixed with rice, traditional sashimi, sliced duck, miso soup, salad with shredded crab. All wonderful, with our favorites being the red snapper with rice, sliced duck and baked tile fish. Would certainly go back again. For desert, the green tea tiramisu was not my "cup of tea", but was good.

Visited November 2013
Albany, California, United States
“5 stars for food, 1 star for service, -5 stars for value”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I appreciate they took a last-minute reservation for a 9:45 dinner. But that did not give them license to give poor service. I am tempted to give a better review because the food was delicious and portions plentiful ... but I think they were stingy with the creativity and the number of courses (just to get me out of the restaurant).

I ordered the omekase and gave them a $80 target -- the waitress said it would be 6 courses. The homemade tofu with various salts was subtle and lovely. Perfect with the earthy yamahai sake. The yellowtail sashimi was firm but still managed to melt in my mouth. The vegetable dish was good though not very inventive. The karaage was awesome but again, not what I would expect from an omekase dinner. The beef robata was cool and very delicious - I think it was their specialty.

I only have experience with omekase at sushi bars but my expectation is creativity. If you promise 6 courses of creative food, don't choose the 5 most basic items on your menu. Especially when I could have ordered that myself for less than what I paid.

Your website says you are open till 11:30 on Sundays. If you are going to push me out the door at 10:45 (after being given the check without me asking for it or you offering dessert), I hope you expect this review. Refilling my own beer, never being offered water -- this was just plain amateur hour.

The food was delicious but it just seemed like they didn't want me there. Don't worry, I won't come back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Damon L
Sharon, Connecticut
“Wonderful and different Japanese meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We came here with a party of six and had a separate room, but don't expect it too be quieter. The food was excellent and we had the aburiya omakase which is a set menu. Each selection was tasty and many different selections compared to the normal Japanese fare, and price is $70/person. Wines run about $50-120 or more per bottle. Service was a bit slow as the evening wore on. They said that we were only allowed 2 hours, but when we left after 2.5 hours, there were several tables available so maybe they were more understanding since this was during the week. They also tack on 20% service charge for the party of six, so be prepared, especially if you don't normally add that percentage. Getting more water took time and the second bottle took some time also. We were served by several different servers, so it was difficult to say which server wasn't fulfilling their part. Definitely a place to visit, but reservations are recommended.

• Visited July 2013