“Tasting”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We tried the tasting menu (omakase). Glad we did. You can pick a price per person, and let the waiter choose your courses, our experience was excellent. Food and service were exceptional and the tastes could not have been better. Some of what we had, baked tile fish with garlic, red snapper mixed with rice, traditional sashimi, sliced duck, miso soup, salad with shredded crab. All wonderful, with our favorites being the red snapper with rice, sliced duck and baked tile fish. Would certainly go back again. For desert, the green tea tiramisu was not my "cup of tea", but was good.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I appreciate they took a last-minute reservation for a 9:45 dinner. But that did not give them license to give poor service. I am tempted to give a better review because the food was delicious and portions plentiful ... but I think they were stingy with the creativity and the number of courses (just to get me out of the restaurant).

I ordered the omekase and gave them a $80 target -- the waitress said it would be 6 courses. The homemade tofu with various salts was subtle and lovely. Perfect with the earthy yamahai sake. The yellowtail sashimi was firm but still managed to melt in my mouth. The vegetable dish was good though not very inventive. The karaage was awesome but again, not what I would expect from an omekase dinner. The beef robata was cool and very delicious - I think it was their specialty.

I only have experience with omekase at sushi bars but my expectation is creativity. If you promise 6 courses of creative food, don't choose the 5 most basic items on your menu. Especially when I could have ordered that myself for less than what I paid.

Your website says you are open till 11:30 on Sundays. If you are going to push me out the door at 10:45 (after being given the check without me asking for it or you offering dessert), I hope you expect this review. Refilling my own beer, never being offered water -- this was just plain amateur hour.

The food was delicious but it just seemed like they didn't want me there. Don't worry, I won't come back.

1  Thank Damon L
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We came here with a party of six and had a separate room, but don't expect it too be quieter. The food was excellent and we had the aburiya omakase which is a set menu. Each selection was tasty and many different selections compared to the normal Japanese fare, and price is $70/person. Wines run about $50-120 or more per bottle. Service was a bit slow as the evening wore on. They said that we were only allowed 2 hours, but when we left after 2.5 hours, there were several tables available so maybe they were more understanding since this was during the week. They also tack on 20% service charge for the party of six, so be prepared, especially if you don't normally add that percentage. Getting more water took time and the second bottle took some time also. We were served by several different servers, so it was difficult to say which server wasn't fulfilling their part. Definitely a place to visit, but reservations are recommended.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stumbled at this restaurant by accident. Because another Japanese place that we're going to turned us away. We really didn't know what to expect. Had to wait for about 20 mins for a table - as we didn't have reservations. Figured its worth waiting that trying to find another place. Worth the wait. Food was fresh and tasty. Service was prompt and efficiency - very Japanese. Try the saki menu - it's worth it.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The food is superb. I am no expert but the menu seems very true to Japanese. Not the Japanese you eat in Japan, but the Japanese the local's ancestors ate.

Portions are very small. Very. But thats OK if thats what is expected, so no problem.

Food is amazing. No less than amazing. Quality is high. Cooking your own 4 tiny slices of Japanese beef on a tiny hibachi is fun.

We arrived 30 min before opening. They were annoyed we were early even though I pointed out to them that that is the time listed on their active website. A little run. We were ferried to the street to wait.

We did not have a reservation, as since we were there when opening, gambled it would be OK at 5:30 to get a table.

They begrudgingly offered us a table at 6.
Restaurant is terifically dark, tables are tiny, chairs are small. Likely not catering to large Americans.

Atmosphere seemed genuine.

If you want the green tea tiramisu desert order it first as soon as you sit down because it sells out quickly.

After about an hour (I guess), while eating our entree, we were told we have to leave in 10 minutes to give thetable to someone else. Not very well handled and again definitely rude but as I was there at the suggestion of the friend I waswith I just smiled about it.

1  Thank islandsoft_2010