“Very hip, cool Japanese spot”
Review of Aburiya Kinnosuke

Aburiya Kinnosuke
Ranked #1,665 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Midtown
Atlanta
“Very hip, cool Japanese spot”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The blue fin tuna tartare was unbelievable. The sashimi was perfection. The grilled bbq grilles shoulder was scrumptious.

Loved the ambience - very Japanese-inspired - with private dining rooms, very cozy, yet very chic. The service was excellent, with great recommendations on sake.

Final tip: Check out bathrooms.

1 Thank Agent5

Woodbridge, Connecticut
“Excellent Option Near UN”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had a great lunch at A.K. In a neighborhood where the options are sometimes a little less than exciting, this was just great. The prix fixe lunch included sashimi, grilled steak, and other yummy authentic Japanese treats. And the sake menu (I like mine cold) was very, very impressive. My colleague who knows Japan better than I do, absolutely loved it. I will definitely go back.

1 Thank 17JAC17
Perth, United Kingdom
“Great Underground Food Haven on the East Side”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Woooowww. I was invited to a dinner at this "hideaway" little Japanese restaurant on the East side of 45th Street. On approach it looks nothing and once down the stairs it turns into a small labyrynth of cozy, private dining rooms.....still looks nothing. Then comes the service....the attention to the customer is focussed on delivering a memorable, Japanese, gastronomic feast. We went for the set menu and it kept coming in abundance, every taste there to be savoured and enjoyed (the whole flying fish is specially recommended). The Sake adds to the enjoyment with all sorts of palates catered for. The hostess allowed us to sample various Sake styles before we made our choice. Very underground and trendy.

New York City, New York
“Great Japanese food!!!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Great location, ambience, and food. Have always tried the lunch at the bar and always enjoy the authentic Japanese style of serving at the bar. Rolls are excellent and so are the lunch

Los Angeles
“Unless you go to Japan, you just can't get better robata!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've been on a serious Japanese streak here and I'm not even trying. Just got to NY for a short trip and got here a day early so did a quick search for a restaurant near by. I'm staying at the Royalton, great hotel btw, and did a search on my zagat app. I actually had to scroll past a page and saw that Aburiya Kinnosuke was one of the only one's w out a icon and since it had a respectable food score I looked into it. It was 6 blocks away and I love walking in NY so off I went.

First of all unless you are looking specifically for this place you will NEVER find it. Sign is actually parallel to the street and can only be seen from the sidewalk or if you pass it and look back, not to mention it has a very small dark long entry way which is beautifully lined with dimly lit glass encased saki displays. From the time you enter the hallway you are seriously in Japan! They do serve sashimi but they specialize in robata (grilled skewers). Everything is authentic as you can get. My favorite was the 3 fish skewer plate which is actually served on a sizzling hot rock. I didn't have a bad dish and their saki menu is legendary. I have never seen such an extensive and rare saki menu. One of the features I liked is you can order any of them by the glass if you like. Most places only offer the premium sakis by the bottle. Even better is how your "glass" is served. The waitress places a small glass in the center of a small open wooden box cup or "masu" . Then she pours the saki until it fills the glass and runs over and fills the wooden masu as well. The first visit I was by myself and the waitress, even though she spoke broken english, really took an interest to find the saki I liked the best. At one point she brought over 5 bottles (very expensive) and gave me complimentary tastings off all of them!

I was so impressed with this place I bought back a party of 6 the next evening and we had our own private room which was fantastic as well. There was even a rep from one of the saki makers there that night who came into our room and gave several saki samples as well. We closed the place down that night and must have sent through 6 bottles of saki. Everyone was impressed with this place. How can one not be. I true diamond.

• Visited August 2012