“Fantastic Coffee!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you love great coffee, you have to try Cafe Grumpy. Probably the best coffee I've ever had. Much better than the hundreds of 'chain' coffee shops in NYC. A great place to stop by during a trip to NYC.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Grumpy

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is located on 20th street, near the Chelsea Lodge. The coffee is first-rate. We had a cheddar and red pepper biscuit and a black pepper cardamon banana bread -- both delicious. Unpretentious and delicious. Well worth a visit!

1  Thank Leland A
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I live in a Portland, ME and recently visited Portland, OR- cloudy venues where coffee really matters. A cousin from Paris, friends from Berlin and Minnesota, two New Yorkers and two Mainers and one native of Colombia reunited here this past Sunday. The espresso, the cortado, the cappuccino, the espresso with a splash of water... were all perfect. The coffee art as was the case with the barrista was very professional. I gushed about this place to the manager at Bard Coffee here in Portland. She smiled and affirmed my experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I came here with a fellow Melburnian. Good coffee, like we're used to at home.

I had a trail mix oat muffin thingy which was a bit too dry and I was not really sure what it was supposed to taste like - but I didn't enjoy it very much.

The courtyard out the back was very nice - quiet and secluded.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My sister and I were doing a coffee lovers tour of Manhattan. We hit 5 little coffee places in a day and a half. At each place we tried their version of a cortado and I think Grumpys won our unofficial survey. the coffee was really good and the customer service was very nice as well. The only thing is - this hidden gem of a coffee house is really that - hidden. So if you find it, enjoy!