“Excellent coffee ”

Ranked #127 of 446 Quick Bites in New York City
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: Café Grumpy Chelsea opened in 2006 on a unique tree-lined block. Our customers were the first in NYC to be offered a menu of coffees to choose from, all brewed by the cup.This location is the perfect space to meet up with a friend, read the paper, or people and puppy watch on the benches outside. During the Spring and Summer, you can also enjoy your coffee outside in our back garden.
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Best coffee I have had so far on my trip, prices include tax also which is fantastic for keeping your pockets clear of any loose change.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

quaint little coffee place a little hidden from the general view. there is no big visible sign stating its a coffee house. service was friendly enough and coffee was good. nice place to stop by and have a quiet morning before starting your adventure in new york

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I love Cafe Grumpy. I went twice in one week:

First time. The cafe looks really cute from the outside and as I walked in rather modern/cool classical music filled an atmosphere of friends, businesspeople and coffee fans. Service was friendly and there was plenty of space to sit down. I had a white peach tea and a choc chip cookie, both of which were absolutely delicious! And I mean really yum! I bought me an orange grumpy face mug as it's really cute and I enjoyed my experience sitting there and enjoying the atmosphere and tea.

Second time. I brought a friend with me and we both had a latte and a cookie. Music was more on the 21st century side but not too loud, not too quiet. More people around but still space to sit down. Service was just as good and he got himself one of those cute mugs ;) We both enjoyed sitting there in a cool, relaxed atmosphere drinking coffee on a rainy afternoon. This is not a place where you feel rushed like you would in a Starbucks, nor did I ever see any dirty plates around.

I will definitely go back - one of my new favourite places!

Date of visit: March 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Wanted to try one of the cafe Grumpys whilst we were in NYC, and as we were based in Chelsea this visit , we had breakfast one morning at the one on W20th St.
The coffee is the star here apparently - I am not a coffee connoisseur , it was good , but not amazing - I had a Mocha , hubby had a Latte - kids had juice from the chiller.
Not much choice re food - daughter and myself had raspberry and ginger scone - nice and fresh , son had choc chip cookie and hubby had a strawberry muffin.
Cafe Grumpy had a very bohemian , young,villagey vibe about it , and is quite small and cosy - glad I went as it was on the list of NY must dos , and will prob try and visit the other 3 locations when I am next in NYC.

Date of visit: March 2013
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Had been in NYC about a month ago and struggled to find good coffee, then met a new yorker on a bus in guatemala who suggested this place. Total win! Delicious coffee and lovely staff. So good i had to have two coffees and spent the next few hours very jittery but worth it!