“cookies the size of scones!”
Review of Levain Bakery

Levain Bakery
Ranked #2 of 401 Bakeries in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Nestled in New York City's Upper West Side, Levain headquarters is a cozy neighborhood bakery where locals are greeted by name. A steady stream of loyal regulars stand side by side with tourists, eager to sample the legendary baked goods. From an inventive array of rustic breads to the world-famous six-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, everything is baked on-site, fresh every day from the finest natural ingredients. What doesn't sell that day goes to help feed the hungry-a mission that has been solidly in place since the beginning. The bakery was founded in 1994 by friends Connie McDonald and Pam Weekes. At the time, Connie was in banking and Pam in Fashion. The two, both competitive swimmers, trained together for the Ironman and-not surprisingly, as their tireless workouts left them feeling starved for great food- they began a passionate dialog about creating the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Within just a few years, Levain Bakery had become a neighborhood institution and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. Demand continued to grow. In 2000, to satisfy their regular clientele summering in the Hamptons, the two opened a second bakery in the village of Wainscott on Long Island's East End. And today, through their website, they now ship their world-famous cookies to happy fans around the globe.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

this bakery is most famous for their cookies- the chocolate pb is a must! i bring them as housegifts

Write a ReviewReviews (3,782)

Reviewed October 29, 2013

No one will ever date me again if they see me eating those dark chocolate chips peanut butter cookies!!

It was a lovely Saturday afternoon, I just danced for two hours and felt I was about to faint if I didn't eat something sweet. So yes, I shouldn't have, but yes, I went to Levain. I knew it would end up really ugly, but I still went.

I remember the first time I stopped by Levain, I saw a couple squatting in front of this tiny bakery, holding a monster cookie, with chocolate and cookie crumbs all over their faces, giggling with annoying sounds like Santa's "hohoho"......I remember I gave them a look saying "luckily you two found each other." And then, I went in and out Levain with a dark chocolate chip peanut butter cookie......

It was a huge mistake to eat them right out of the oven on the street! Because before I realized, I gave out that "hohoho" laugh the first second my tongue touched this soft chunky babe.....I quickly wrapped the rest of the cookie and pushed it into the bottom of my bag, then started rushing on the street. I walked so freaking fast to get home, pour a cup of milk, place my laptop on my bed desk, puff my pillow and squat in my bed. When everything had been settled, I unwrapped the rest of that cookie, ate the whole thing with cold milk and hulu..........that was so bloody fantastic!!!!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This small under-ground bakery is one of our favorite places to visit in NYC. The huge cookies are perfect…. baked well on outside and half-baked on inside. They are pricey at $4 each but worth every penny and calorie.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Best cookies in NYC. I live right around the corner and always find myself stopping in to buy a cookie. They are also a delicious treat for a friend. I highly recommend you stop in don't be intimated by the long line it just shows how good it is.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had read about this place recently. A very good review. So we went and bought a dozen to bring to our family dinner gathering, large group. We also got one to share on our walk home. The one cookie we ate right away was very good. But....it is very big. It's not a crispy cookies. I only had a bite, but enjoyed it. Nice and warm. But I usually like a thin crispy cookie. I also had their cappuccino and it was very good. I cannot and should not eat a whole one, since they are so big. They are good to very good.