“It's all about the cookies”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Levain Bakery

Levain Bakery
Ranked #2 of 441 Dessert in New York City
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Nestled in New York City's Upper West Side, Levain headquarters is a cozy neighborhood bakery where locals are greeted by name. A steady stream of loyal regulars stand side by side with tourists, eager to sample the legendary baked goods. From an inventive array of rustic breads to the world-famous six-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, everything is baked on-site, fresh every day from the finest natural ingredients. What doesn't sell that day goes to help feed the hungry-a mission that has been solidly in place since the beginning. The bakery was founded in 1994 by friends Connie McDonald and Pam Weekes. At the time, Connie was in banking and Pam in Fashion. The two, both competitive swimmers, trained together for the Ironman and-not surprisingly, as their tireless workouts left them feeling starved for great food- they began a passionate dialog about creating the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Within just a few years, Levain Bakery had become a neighborhood institution and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. Demand continued to grow. In 2000, to satisfy their regular clientele summering in the Hamptons, the two opened a second bakery in the village of Wainscott on Long Island's East End. And today, through their website, they now ship their world-famous cookies to happy fans around the globe.
Boonsboro, Maryland
“It's all about the cookies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Have not eaten anything there except the cookies...but now I can die happy:) Tasted everyone else's and loved all of them! I think my favorite might have to be the chocolate, chocolate chip though...chocolate overload, but who cares!

• Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“#1 food attraction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

As soon as I discovered Levain Bakery I took all of my guests here while they were visiting the city. I also make a point to stop here when I make a trip to the UWS. I feel like the lines are hit or miss. I've been here at 1pm on a weekend where there has been no one in line but I've also been here at 4pm when the line is down the street. I would try to avoid it during lunch hours but it's hit or miss.

Everyone who I take here dies and goes to cookie heaven when they sink their teeth into one of the double chocolate chip cookies. And don't forget to get a glass of milk! The cookies are on the expensive side ($4) but they are also HUGE. If you think $4 is too much split it with someone. I swear the cookie is 1/2 pound of cookie dough.

It's also fun to have people look for you on the webcam in the store. I had a friend who was visiting call her sister and tell her to look for us on the webcam online and we had a blast making faces at her.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank kkrez
“Worth the $4!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

$4 for a cookie? After reading other traveler's reviews I was curious...a little appalled, but curious. Took the chance on a visit after a nice day at the Museum of Natural History and I was not disappointed! Line appears long, but it moves so fast that you are in and out in no time! The guy at the counter was good with a little help from another worker, they kept the line moving fast! Cookies are BIG, probably equal to about 3 1/2 regular size cookies - so don't let the price scare you! These cookies are heavy! My boyfriend and I each got one and agreed it would have been more than enough to just split one. Not that we let that stop us from devouring the whole thing! I love that these cookies are crispy on the outside, but warm and soft on the inside. Chocolate chips were warm and melty. I made a mess, but it was totally worth it. Yummy! Visit this hole in the wall - it's a real treasure!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank hootnwhisker
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Possibly the best cookies i have ever had. I devoured these before I even made it back to my hotel. Was here on business and the place was a bit crowded during lunch, but it was worth the wait in line.

• Visited August 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Hole in the wall bakery but Amazing Cookies!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Words can't explain the Quality of the cookies. I will say beat in town, but the price is your average NYC price. (No not the Street food deal). Your looking to pay about 20$ for 3 cookies. But I will say one of the best in town for Chocolate Lovers!

• Visited September 2013