“A cookie with some weight behind it!”
Review of Levain Bakery

Levain Bakery
Ranked #2 of 478 Dessert in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Nestled in New York City's Upper West Side, Levain headquarters is a cozy neighborhood bakery where locals are greeted by name. A steady stream of loyal regulars stand side by side with tourists, eager to sample the legendary baked goods. From an inventive array of rustic breads to the world-famous six-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, everything is baked on-site, fresh every day from the finest natural ingredients. What doesn't sell that day goes to help feed the hungry-a mission that has been solidly in place since the beginning. The bakery was founded in 1994 by friends Connie McDonald and Pam Weekes. At the time, Connie was in banking and Pam in Fashion. The two, both competitive swimmers, trained together for the Ironman and-not surprisingly, as their tireless workouts left them feeling starved for great food- they began a passionate dialog about creating the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Within just a few years, Levain Bakery had become a neighborhood institution and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. Demand continued to grow. In 2000, to satisfy their regular clientele summering in the Hamptons, the two opened a second bakery in the village of Wainscott on Long Island's East End. And today, through their website, they now ship their world-famous cookies to happy fans around the globe.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I don't go here often, but I usually look to buy their cookies as gifts or treats to out of towners - only because I can't finish a cookie by myself. Delicious flavor and it's packed in their. Each cookie weighs a figurative ton, but seriously I feel like each one weighs 1/4 lb. if not more.

The price I can deal with - NYC average. But I wish there was a chocolate chip one without nuts and a plain sugar variety - snickerdoodle, sugar, lemon and bluberries maybe? or even a seasonal cookie would be nice. If they sold their cookies in miniature versions, maybe 3 minis for the same price as the normal one?

Write a ReviewReviews (4,148)

Reviewed August 17, 2013

After reading the reviews, I thought this was going to be AMAZING. It was good, but not the best cookie I have ever eaten. The staff moves through the line fast though and the prices aren't too expensive for NYC and such a big cookie. Would I go there again? No, but I am glad I tried it.

1  Thank rh1206
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Tese are the very best cookies I've ever had from a bakery. A bit cake-like but still very much a cookie. Oozing chocolate, buttery -- just scrumptious.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

You have a life before and after tasting these cookies, they are the best I ever had in my life. They are a bit warm, big and so tasty it is fabulous. They are also perfect the day after you bought it. Don't miss it if you go to NYC!!!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The best cookie I have eaten in my life!!! Really tasty, the melting chocolate is absolutely delicious!