“Best Cookie ever...well worth the stop!”
Review of Levain Bakery

Levain Bakery
Ranked #2 of 434 Dessert in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Nestled in New York City's Upper West Side, Levain headquarters is a cozy neighborhood bakery where locals are greeted by name. A steady stream of loyal regulars stand side by side with tourists, eager to sample the legendary baked goods. From an inventive array of rustic breads to the world-famous six-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, everything is baked on-site, fresh every day from the finest natural ingredients. What doesn't sell that day goes to help feed the hungry-a mission that has been solidly in place since the beginning. The bakery was founded in 1994 by friends Connie McDonald and Pam Weekes. At the time, Connie was in banking and Pam in Fashion. The two, both competitive swimmers, trained together for the Ironman and-not surprisingly, as their tireless workouts left them feeling starved for great food- they began a passionate dialog about creating the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Within just a few years, Levain Bakery had become a neighborhood institution and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. Demand continued to grow. In 2000, to satisfy their regular clientele summering in the Hamptons, the two opened a second bakery in the village of Wainscott on Long Island's East End. And today, through their website, they now ship their world-famous cookies to happy fans around the globe.
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Unbelievably good. Best cookies I've ever eaten. Awesome small bakery feel! It is well worth the trip...my only warning would be to not try more than one item at a time as they are huge! Great stop. I actually made it a point to go out of my way to make a second, unscheduled stop on my last trip to NYC. One of my top recommendations for the city.

There are newer reviews for Levain Bakery

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

These cookies are exactly what you expect from America. True American cookies, Massive and delicious.

I ate the chocolate chip and walnut and my husband had the oatmeal and raisin. We walked approx 7 blocks looking for the bakery and it was well worth it!

It's hidden, you hear people talking about it and expect it to be a huge bakery with hundreds of options, but no, it's a tiny bakery with about 7 different things to choose from, including cookies, brownies and pizza cookies.

Recommended to ALL & only $4! You'd eat about 5 if they wernt so big.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'm sure this will ruffle more than a few feathers, but we visited last week and don't quite get what all the fuss is about. I was all amped up after reading the reviews and made a point of getting off the #3 line to check it out. The location is not much to speak of and we all agreed that the cookies were fine, but nothing incredible. In fact we believe that they are more brownie than "cookie-like". On the good side; it's a nice walk from there down to the Lincoln Center.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited here this past Sunday and it was absolutely delicious! We ordered the chocolate peanut butter cookie and it was to die for!! We also ordered the walnut sticky bun (also great!) and a blueberry muffin (good as well!). The cookie was by far the best and I highly recommend getting one!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I use to work opposite side of the street of the 72nd st location and was often a customer at Levains. B E S T cookies in the world - especially when they were still warm :-)