“Choc Walnut cookies... mmm!”
Review of Levain Bakery

Levain Bakery
Ranked #2 of 452 Dessert in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Nestled in New York City's Upper West Side, Levain headquarters is a cozy neighborhood bakery where locals are greeted by name. A steady stream of loyal regulars stand side by side with tourists, eager to sample the legendary baked goods. From an inventive array of rustic breads to the world-famous six-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, everything is baked on-site, fresh every day from the finest natural ingredients. What doesn't sell that day goes to help feed the hungry-a mission that has been solidly in place since the beginning. The bakery was founded in 1994 by friends Connie McDonald and Pam Weekes. At the time, Connie was in banking and Pam in Fashion. The two, both competitive swimmers, trained together for the Ironman and-not surprisingly, as their tireless workouts left them feeling starved for great food- they began a passionate dialog about creating the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Within just a few years, Levain Bakery had become a neighborhood institution and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. Demand continued to grow. In 2000, to satisfy their regular clientele summering in the Hamptons, the two opened a second bakery in the village of Wainscott on Long Island's East End. And today, through their website, they now ship their world-famous cookies to happy fans around the globe.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stopped here on a tour and the cookies were hot and just so delicious. I couldn't stop thinking about them the next day... so I came back!
This time the cookies weren't hot and weren't quite as good but they are still pretty amazing and worth getting your hands on!

2  Thank PetriaLadgrove

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Levain's delicious, huge cookies -- all four flavors -- are justifiably famous.

One fine day, I opened my eyes in South Harlem, where I often stay. How could I not have noticed their Harlem branch, a few short blocks from the apartment? I'd walked right by it for years. No more 90-minute pilgrimages to 74th Street for me.

Same cookies. No wait!

Frederick Douglass Boulevard between 116th and 117th Streets.

2  Thank Leah_NYC
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The location is an easy walk from Central Park and you will want to burn the calories before or after your indulgence (or not- your call).

The attraction is world-class baked goods with sweets being my favorite. In city (world) where there's a constantly changing sweet de-jour, Levain seems to ignore the trends and dance with the ones that brung 'em. We had chocolate walnut cookies and watched as others enjoyed muffins and banana bread.

This was not my first visit to Levain Bakery but it was for my 15 year old daughter. It would take numerous tries over two days for us to set for in their door. Our first attempt was on a very busy MLK Day Monday and the line remained daunting over the course of a few hours. She literally couldn't even see into this subterranean bakery as patrons shuffled in and out.

On our last day, a Tuesday, we walked down from Central Park's Strawberry Fields after rush hour on a very cold January morning to find the place empty beside the small staff. My daughter was astounded by the compact (tiny) size of the place. It was then that she understood why the line had been constant the day before.

We ordered our cookies and sat on two of the very few stools they have and watched a steady stream of locals come in for treats. The sights, smells and smiles made for a great New York send off before our flight home!

1  Thank shortysboyKansas
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Words don't even begin to explain how unbelievable these cookies are. Its a cookie, an experience, a MUST try while in New York. It really makes any day Amazing. I Love Levain Cookies, and I know you will too!

1  Thank Matthew C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent cookies, definately worth the trip and the wait.. Take a quick cab ride and be sure to bring the driver a cookie.. :-))

1  Thank Kayla M