“A favorite.”

Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Brooklyn, New York
“A favorite.”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Greko, David, Jean Baptiste . . the entire staff is terrific. The food is evenly good, the experience always personal and delightful. The playlists are stellar by the way. Greko's foremost talent might be in his ability to cast staff that's so perfectly aligned with his own sensibility. It's always nice to see Greko there, but he's never missed because the place goes along just as well when he's not around. To those who lament the credit card and no-ketchup, no-Bud policies, adieu!

Amityville NY
“Cozy but Good”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

5 of us trooped here late Sat aft. & were fortunate that the 6-person counter was empty.
The 2 tables outside & 2 inside were filled. Very nice man behind the counter who attended to us. Huge pot of open delicious mussels, various salads - mine was
a field of greens w/a spinach/goat cheese phyllo stuffed square that was yummy.
Esgarots had the right amount of garlic so sauce was sopped up w/the warm bread.
Not too pricey but not inexpensive either...loved the experience & that we weren't encouraged to immed leave after dining.

• Visited March 2012
Brooklyn, NY
“Funky and Cute”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Had lunch at the French Diner on Orchard Street. This area used to be all Jewish, and Katz's Deli is across the street, but this little "diner" is a fun place to get a bite to eat. The food was good, though not terribly French. I had a ham sandwich and the bread was not French bread (not that you can find honest to goodness French bread anywhere but in France) and the ham reminded me of Boar's Head, not French ham, but the fries were good, my wife had an honest bowl of coffee au lait as they serve it in France and the music was from a French station (Internet?)

Would I send you there from far away? No. But if you're playing tourist (and we live in NYC but going to the Lower East Side is a "tourist" destination for us) and you're on Orchard Street, I'd definitely recommend stopping by. It's a tiny place so you end up feeling like you're part of it, not a stranger passing through. And if you're there in the day you're so close to the street that it's almost like being at a sidewalk cafe where you can see the people passing by. (It was a 62 degree January day so the door was open.)

Again, I'm not saying you should go out of your way to visit, but if I lived around there I'd say I'd be a regular, so that says a lot, non?

Toronto, Canada
“The most amazing waitor”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

OK, so, I've been in restaurants all over the world. I've spend a few hundred dollars a plate. But this guy, David, eclipsed anything I have ever experienced. The place was full - second time I've been there - and he sends us across the street to his bouncer friend to get us in for a drink. Later, 20 min, he crosses the street to pick us up and tell us our table is ready. The service is friendly and personable. He is cooler than cool. The food was great - country french, not pretentious, and delicious. VERY reasonable. Excellent price for wine. I would spend twice for this meal in Toronto, 3 x in London, it was great David, the waiter was too cool. So was the hispanic staff (don't remember the name). This may be the best value for great food, a great time, and all in all, a wonderful experience. Thank you David, and the entire staff of Zucco.I reaally love you all!!!

1 Thank Bensonh
Washington DC
“Great things come in small packages”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

True French menu in a tiny tasty place, not far from the Tenement Museum, with lots of coolio little shops all around. Probably not more than 12 seats in the place, so you might need to wait to get in. Great food with good wine at a decent price. Eat at the bar!

Visited January 2012