“Fun, unique Sri Lankan” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: East Village
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Fun, unique Sri Lankan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

This place gets extra credit for the unusual flavors. This is not Indian, Pakistani or Thai food. It was really it's own cuisine. Service is casual but friendly and attentive. This is a small second story walk up with about a dozen tables. Cash only! It was very busy early on a Friday night. We had the appetizer sampler which was a good but unexceptional platter of fritters. The coconut dal is superb. Other dishes were fun, flavorful, VERY SPICY! Beverage service is limited. BYOB if you want alcohol. Beer would go very well with this food. I'd go again. Not a great option for fussy eaters. Excellent vegetarian options.

1 Thank AlwaysAcadian

San Francisco, California
“A Sri Lankan-American friend took me here . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I wrote my first Trip Advisor reviews after our stay in Sri Lanka a few years ago, so excited was I to have toured that country when we did. The experience has had me on the lookout for authentically spiced Sri Lankan food in the States -- and it's dang hard to find.

But when I went to NYC last week, a Sri Lankan-American friend told me she knew where I could get my fix. Warning me that we were going to a hole-in-the-wall, she took me to Sigiri. Great choice!

There were just two of us, both of us vegetarians, so we did not sample the whole menu by any stretch. But the dishes we did have completely hit the spot, including a delicately spiced lotus root curry that was the bomb. Next time I'm in town, I'm coming back to try the string hoppers.

My friend says they have a swell brunch buffet on the weekends. (And for those who care about the decor, I would rate it higher than "hole in the wall" -- it's not fancy, but it's a pleasant-feeling spot.) Check 'em out.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Serendip2010
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprised in a good way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I visited Sigiri in Edison NJ which is tucked away in a strip mall indiscreetly and is overshadowed by the pizza place next door. The owner greeted us cordially and let us choose where we'd like to be seated.
Since this was our first time trying Sri Lankan cuisine we asked a lot of questions and were pleasantly surprised when he brought back a folder with various dishes and their pictures. He explained how its made and offered suggestion. We chose the Crab Curry and lamprais . After wrestling the crab meat out of the legs and body I savored the spicy soup along with the white rice it came with. The only thing I didn't like was that there were tamarind seeds in there and I almost chewed one up. Didn't ruin the experience but was a distraction.
My wife had the Chicken lamprais which is rice, eggplant, chicken and few other veggies that came in a steamed banana leaf.
I loved the 2 dishes we tried and I would not say its similar to Indian cuisine but very close in flavor profile and would definitely go back for more. If you're not comfortable with spicy food make sure you ask for it to be mild cos' the medium spice I ordered was quite spicy even for a seasoned Indian palate.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Siddhartha A
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Sri Lankan Food (y) !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

It was my first hands experience with Sri Lankan food and I loved it ... the place is nicely done up. I ordered some appams and veg stew, crab curry and rice. Now thought the appams were excellent, the veg stew was a bit let down. I thought they hardly used any coconut milk in the stew (which they are supposed to) .. so it didn't taste authentic.

Coming to crab curry, ohhh ... it was spicy and yum ... you could lick the whole bowl if you wished. After a long time, I had a good spicy food ...

For desserts, they suggested us to eat yogurt and honey. First it looked very simple, but when we ate, it was unlike any other dessert I've eaten.

Pricewise, very much in the range. Wud love to come back if I get a chance.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Aditya_manaksia
Singapore
“but for the "spice level?"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

excellent appam. great fish curry, but was disappointing to hear the standard American "what spice level do you want?" question on ordering...adding spice after cooking is not the way it is done in Sri Lanka (or anywhere in Asia).

Visited July 2013